Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SkiPi - All in one car "module" project thread

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

SkiPi - All in one car "module" project thread

Post by sk93 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 pm

THIS IS AN ONGOING "LIVE" THREAD
Once this is completed, I'll post a full how-to, but until then, I'll be using this thread to document progress, take ideas, ask for help, etc :)

Project Goals
Summary
To provide an "all in one" module that can be added to the e85/e86 to do all the things offered by various 3rd party modules and addons, but be "open source" and highly modifiable, giving the ability to add more to it as we find new things!

Functionality
  • Bluetooth media hub (A2DP+AVRCP)
    Provide a target for Bluetooth enabled devices to stream music to / be controlled by the car stereo/MFSW
  • USB media hub (iPod Accessory protocol specification)
    Provide the ability to stream audio from and control iDevices via USB as well as navigate and play audio files from a USB drive
  • Aux connectivity
    Provide the ability to play audio received via an auxiliary cable (without the drop in low frequencies seen in the current cables due to the way the headunit works)
  • DAB Radio
    Provide DAB radio functionality, using the standard headunit /mfsw to select channels and set favorites
  • One-touch roof operation
    Provide the ability to open / close the soft-top by momentarily pressing the relevant button (instead of having to hold it)
  • Remote roof operation
    Provide the ability to open / close the soft-top by pressing a button combination on the key fob (instead of having to hold the button and remain in range for the entire operation)
  • GPS Location
    Provide the ability to remotely locate car via GPS
  • Throttle, Speed, RPM, G-Force, GPS Tracking
    Provide data logging for the above items. Useful for track days, etc.
  • I/K Bus Logging
    Provide real-time and logged access to the I/K Bus data. Useful for diagnosis, etc.
  • CD Changer support
    Re-enabling of the CD Changer unit, when required, so that it can be used alongside the other functions (DAB,Bluetooth,USB, etc)
  • On/Off Switch
    Ability to completely turn off the unit, meaning it uses no power whatsoever, and does not listen or communicate with the car via IKBus.
    (Useful if you're leaving the car for an extended time, you're trying to diagnose an issue, or taking it to the dealer :thumbsup:
Hardware
I've chosen to go with the Raspberry Pi 2.0 as the basis for this module.
The reasons for this are:
  • It's low powered
    ~200ma at rest, ~700ma when using bluetooth, ~2.3a when connected to an iPhone via USB.
    This means that it should detect the car going to sleep, and turn off everything it doesn't need and just monitor for the IKBus coming back alive.
    With this check in place, you could park the car for a week with the Pi connected and running without it draining the battery.
  • Linux already has a tonne of USB drivers and modules available
    This dramatically cuts down on the need to recreate the wheel in regards to A2DP, AVRCP, IPhone, USB media connectivity, etc
  • Accelerometers and GPS sheilds are readily available
    Again, cuts down on the need to create custom stuff when off-the-shelf pluggables exist
  • Easy to remotely maintain
    Can easily wifi into an installed Pi and make changes, etc, without having to connect via USB, or dig it out from wherever it's hidden
  • Cheap
    You can get Pi's for about £20-£25.
  • I've got three lying around already!
    No point buying something else when you've got stuff lying about already ;)

Current Status:In Progress
(In Progress, Completed)
  • Bluetooth media hub
  • USB media hub
  • Aux connectivity
  • DAB Radio
  • One-touch roof operation
  • Remote roof operation
  • GPS Location
  • Throttle, Speed, RPM, G-Force, GPS Tracking
  • I/K Bus Logging
  • CD Changer support
  • On/Off Switch
Last Update:
(this bit will be updated to reflect what I'm currently working on as time goes by)
Managed to emulate GapTech's RCH (remote control hood) perfectly, meaning you can tap unlock on your key three times and the roof will open, tap unlock twice then lock once and the roof will close - no more holding buttons!
(Special thanks to srhutch for providing useful log info!)
video demo:
Last edited by sk93 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:zzzz:

-Tom-

Re: All in one car "module" project thread

Post by -Tom- » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:30 pm

This will be cool, I already love the way you were saying how everything syncs to wifi when you "dock" her on the drive!
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:32 pm

-Tom- wrote:This will be cool, I already love the way you were saying how everything syncs to wifi when you "dock" her on the drive!
yup. that's the feature I love the most about my current setup.
This new version will have that and more.. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Wifi link to download from dashcam would be great if possible, save taking the card out and remembering to put back :headbang:

walker1c

Post by walker1c » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:43 pm

This sounds absolutely brilliant! :D
2006 2.5i Z4 Roadster, Titansilber/dream red : 2015 530d Touring, mineral grey/oyster

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 pm

srhutch wrote:Wifi link to download from dashcam would be great if possible, save taking the card out and remembering to put back :headbang:
if the dashcam hosts a wifi network, and presents as a shared drive, that's easy peasy :)
If not, we'll need to talk :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:08 pm

sk93 wrote:
srhutch wrote:Wifi link to download from dashcam would be great if possible, save taking the card out and remembering to put back :headbang:
if the dashcam hosts a wifi network, and presents as a shared drive, that's easy peasy :)
If not, we'll need to talk :thumbsup:
No was thinking the USB powered type, but thinking about it that would cause power issues. :(

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Oh I see.. provide a method from the pi, via wifi, to get the vids from the dashcam?
I can programatiically turn on and off the usb ports, so power shouldn't be an issue from that end?

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:37 pm

sk93, your amazing :thumbsup:

actually your no good at winning raffle prizes :rofl:

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:40 pm

This sounds perfect. I've currently resorted to using hardwired aux as A2DP using a bluetooth adaptor into aux caused horrible distortion.

Already using a Pi with Pidac for my Linn setup so already know how good the audio quality can be out of these things!

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Sounds absolutely awesome :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:49 pm

sounds interesting, hopefully u can get it all sorted as u have planned :driving:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:05 pm

So I guess you'll need a Pi hidden in the car... How much is one of those beasties ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 pm

A quick Google reveals 'not a lot'. I shall be keeping an eye on this :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Sounds great, look forward to seeing the progress.
Z4MC Imola red