Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help - Removing the centre console.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
synthedup

Post by synthedup » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I have searched through the how to section and cant find the guide to remove the centre console, i know i have seen it someone and i'm sure someone has a link in their signature.

Help anyone? :thumbsup:
thanks

tug

Re: Help - Removing the centre console.

Post by tug » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi synth, to remove the center consul you also have to remove the rear consul, or just move it one side.

1) Remove knee pads. To do this you need an electrical screwdriver. VERY carefully push the screwdriver between the pad and the consul about 4" in towards the dash. Now slowly pry the mat outwards then hold something in place to stop the mat re seating. Move the screwdriver along to about 2/3 way toward dash and do the same, the mat should pop out of the fasteners (there are 4)

2) Remove round gromets (there is one hidden by the seat) unscrew all 3 screws, both sides.

3) Remove hand break glove. Pry base up then slide the glove towards the dash (a bit of force is needed here)

4) With the roof closed, pull the very top of the upper panel of the rear consul (it will pop open, this does no harm) undo the 2 silver torx screws. Now pull the rear consul away (it pops away from the retainers quite easily) There are 2 electrical connectors and 1 string attached,
detach these and the consul can be moved across for removal of center consul.

5) Remove gearstick skirt by pulling up and popping out of the surround (no need to remove knob) Remove the surround by popping up and out. Lastly, remove rectangular trim below hand break handle by pushing towards the dash.

6) slide consul backwards and out. EDIT. Remove ashtray and unscrew the phillips then remove roof/ DTC controller by carefully pulling up and out then disconnect the electrics.

Hope this helps, good luck with your project.

Cheers, tug. :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:23 pm

tug wrote:Hi synth, to remove the center consul you also have to remove the rear consul, or just move it one side.

1) Remove knee pads. To do this you need an electrical screwdriver. VERY carefully push the screwdriver between the pad and the consul about 4" in towards the dash. Now slowly pry the mat outwards then hold something in place to stop the mat re seating. Move the screwdriver along to about 2/3 way toward dash and do the same, the mat should pop out of the fasteners (there are 4)

2) Remove round gromets (there is one hidden by the seat) unscrew all 3 screws, both sides.

3) Remove hand break glove. Pry base up then slide the glove towards the dash (a bit of force is needed here)

4) With the roof closed, pull the very top of the upper panel of the rear consul (it will pop open, this does no harm) undo the 2 silver torx screws. Now pull the rear consul away (it pops away from the retainers quite easily) There are 2 electrical connectors and 1 string attached,

5) Remove gearstick skirt by pulling up and popping out of the surround (no need to remove knob) Remove the surround by popping up and out. Lastly, remove rectangular trim below hand break handle by pushing towards the dash.

6) slide consul backwards and out. EDIT. Remove ashtray and unscrew the phillips then remove roof/ DTC controller by carefully pulling up and out then disconnect the electrics.

Thanks for the advice tug :)

bony_13

Post by bony_13 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:14 pm

tug wrote:Hi synth, to remove the center consul you also have to remove the rear consul, or just move it one side.

That all sounds very similar to our conversation on sunday Tug! :D :thumbsup:

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:18 pm

There was a few steps missing in the above,

You need to remove the folding food, and a few other little bits of trim, PVR did a guide also :thumbsup:

tug

Post by tug » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:27 pm

synthedup wrote:There was a few steps missing in the above,

You need to remove the folding food, and a few other little bits of trim, PVR did a guide also :thumbsup:
Hi again Bony great day sunday mate. :thumbsup:

Synth, what do you mean "folding food" :lol: Interior is looking a bit special mate, did mine a while back. Wish i had seen the 5D! perhaps i might do mine again. Hope it looks as good as your brilliant job, well done mate. :thumbsup:

Cheers, tug. :)

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:42 am

tug wrote:

Synth, what do you mean "folding food" :lol: Interior is looking a bit special mate, did mine a while back. Wish i had seen the 5D! perhaps i might do mine again. Hope it looks as good as your brilliant job, well done mate. :thumbsup:

I mean the door for the cubby hole behind the seats, i removed that and the little bit of trim at the top to access 2 screws and there are 2 more screws under a little piece of trim next to the light switch for the door.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:53 pm

synthedup wrote:
tug wrote:

I mean the door for the cubby hole behind the seats, i removed that and the little bit of trim at the top to access 2 screws and there are 2 more screws under a little piece of trim next to the light switch for the door.
As above some steps missing.

Here a link which explains it step by step (from page 3)

http://www.hutchison.org.uk/Alpine%20CD ... lation.pdf

tug

Post by tug » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:57 pm

You must have the subs behind the seats which i have not, i only have 6 speakers so my cubbys are empty. :oops: That would explain the extra 2 screws which i don't have on mine.

I also pointed out the 2 screws at the top by popping the top of the consul. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:59 pm

tug wrote:You must have the subs behind the seats which i have not, i only have 6 speakers so my cubbys are empty. :oops: That would explain the extra 2 screws which i don't have on mine.

I also pointed out the 2 screws at the top by popping the top of the consul. :thumbsup:

Subs make no difference. You either must have broken the bottom fixings or somebody had it out before and didnt put the screws back in.

tug

Post by tug » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm

The only bottom fixings i have on mine are the ones that are screwed into the center consul accessible by sliding the seats forward under the round grommets. :idunno:

Rhalverson1

Post by Rhalverson1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Does anyone know of a you tube or other video of the console removal to replace airbag module ?