Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Inspection II & Brake Fluid The Pros & Cons

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
speed12

Inspection II & Brake Fluid The Pros & Cons

Post by speed12 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:42 am

So I bit the bullet this week and had my 08 Coupe (79K on the clock) booked in for Inspection II and Brake Fluid Change.

The Good Bits;
1.) I thought I got a reasonable price for a main dealer (£470 all in) not cheap but not bad.
2.) I also got the use of a brand new 320d (high spec) for 2 full days included.
3.) Car had a full code scan as part of some warranty work I wanted looking into. No faults found.
4.) Car had full clean inside and out (was a little nervous of this but it looks like a decent job.

The not so good bits;
1.) BMW highlighted a number of safety issues;
a.) Squeaking wipers - I am not bothered about this, its done it for 3 years and doubt it will result in a failed linkage like they suggest.
b.) Antifreeze content too low (-5 Degrees apparently). So I guess I need to top up with some BMW antifreeze.
c.) They reported that one front and one rear wheels were not round and were buckled... I was pretty concerned about this when they told me, however they say its not serious and have ticked the Amber box. I have not noticed any vibrations and I have not noticed any air loss. I thought the 108's were pretty robust in this department and am pretty careful about dodging pot holes. Think I will leave for the moment and consider getting my other set refurbed in the Spring.
d). Rear Shock bump stops perished. Again I guess I will look to renew all shocks in the spring, I doubt they will fail imminently.

2.) The 320d has made me want a new car... Averaged 65mpg on my normal commute, comfortable, good handling, loads of toys... took a test drive in a 13 plate 330D and I am pretty much sold but not willing to commit to the costs just yet. Temptation is there though.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for new rear shocks for the Z4 Coupe? Real OEM provides part number 33506777029 but this yields nothing on the internet. Plenty of E36 Sachs struts on ebay but no idea if they are correct? euro Car parts have nothing for the rears or does anyone know the correct Bilstien B4 code for the coupe?

Final Point - I followed my onboard computer for the service interval and even though it still had 1,000 miles left until the inspection II was due it still resulted in a 21K miles periodicity? I thought 18K was the maximum for these cars? I did an oil and filter change myself in Jan this year so am not worried but it makes my official service history look poor!
2008 Z4 Coupe Image

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Inspection II & Brake Fluid The Pros & Cons

Post by ronk » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:12 pm

speed12 wrote:
... took a test drive in a 13 plate 330D and I am pretty much sold but not willing to commit to the costs just yet. Temptation is there though.
Just bought a 335 xd for my wife and its tremendous!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:38 pm

If you were pleased with the work the dealer has done, perhaps you can share who it actually was?

Personal recommendation is almost as important as price to many.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Code: Select all

Final Point - I followed my onboard computer for the service interval and even though it still had 1,000 miles left until the inspection II was due it still resulted in a 21K miles periodicity? I thought 18K was the maximum for these cars? I did an oil and filter change myself in Jan this year so am not worried but it makes my official service history look poor!
Mine was the same when i was doing lots of miles, mines gone something like 20,40,60,80 and 94
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s