Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric Folding Mirrors

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JINGLE

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by JINGLE » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:38 pm

sorry to revive an old thread.... but did anybody ever make the write up?

I've got Monkeys old folding mirrors, switch and module but want to know if i need any other wiring looms and how to install if possible???

Hagasan

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by Hagasan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi, I've written a quick note of my findings when fitting these in a 2003 car. The info is in the sellers thread in the marketplace..

D4dawg

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 pm

rob davey wrote: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm
alex85 wrote:I honestly dont think folding mirrors are worth the effort or expense. I have them as they came on the car, but i dont think i would spec or retrofit them.
I guess it depends if you have to park on a narrow street where people drive like idoits or not
I agree with Alex but for a different reason
On a narrow street you fold mirrors and muppets get closer
Don't fold and they give you more room and don't t**t car

JINGLE

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by JINGLE » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 am

Hagasan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm Hi, I've written a quick note of my findings when fitting these in a 2003 car. The info is in the sellers thread in the marketplace..
Thanks :) unfortunately mines a 2008 model so looks like I'll need to clarify the wiring thats needed in the drivers side.

Fingers crossed I'll get to the bottom of it very soon :)

Hagasan

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by Hagasan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:56 am

recently fitted a pair....... 

Please bear in mind my car is a late 2003 car. 

The passenger door loom and window switch remained as was, original. 

The module was fitted up behind the fuse board into the existing connecctor. This is all behind the glovebox door which you need to remove to gain access. 

The drivers side door wiring loom needs to be changed. You need the one from the donor car because there are additional wires in that loom going to the new window/mirror switch. The switch with the button for the fold function. 

I found that when comparing my original loom to the replacement one, the replacement loom had the two wires for the window motor in different pin locations on the multiplug that connects in the door shut. The two wires are easy to identify and compare as they are the only two "fat" wires.. 

Lastly, disconnect the battery so you don't throw an unnecessary airbag light! 

That's it... Good luck.

Hagasan

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by Hagasan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 am

JINGLE wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 am
Hagasan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm Hi, I've written a quick note of my findings when fitting these in a 2003 car. The info is in the sellers thread in the marketplace..
Thanks :) unfortunately mines a 2008 model so looks like I'll need to clarify the wiring thats needed in the drivers side.

Fingers crossed I'll get to the bottom of it very soon :)
I'd imagine the door are pretty much the same. All the cars have the same kit really. Locking, speakers, windows and mirrors etc. I'd start by looking for the module plug behind the fuse box. It's the same type as the one on the drivers window switch. ie one of those 90 degree locking lever type..

9designs

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by 9designs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am

Does anyone have any more updates, I've collected parts now and looking to understand the wiring on my 2006.5 model. I have a spare passengers loom from a pre facelift folding mirror car. Hopefully the same for driver soon, or I will have to mod the loom?
Could do with a wiring diagram which I can't find.
Does the later car have the main loom wired, ie connector for the module behind G/B is in place?
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

synthedup

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by synthedup » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 am

Hi all,
Has anyone done this mod and have a step by step guide? I cant find anything online.