Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting? Gaptech - Worth the outlay - Now buying.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Gaptech - Worth the outlay?

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:28 am

nb67 wrote:
enzed4 wrote:Unless SkiPi's all-in-one module comes to fruition and works as well as it looks like it will. Then I suspect the market may be flooded with unloved Gaptech modules... :lol:
What is this witchcraft you speak of? A Gaptech replacement?
You haven't seen this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78856&hilit=skipi

He's already got an exact duplicate of the GapTech functionality working (not sure about the console buttons, but definitely the key fob buttons).
It could be ready in a week, or a year. Obviously he has a life and other priorities, but this has the potential to be an awesome wee module :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:19 am

yea SkiPi is eagerly anticipated be me also :driving: :poke:

nb67

Post by nb67 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:59 pm

enzed4 wrote:
nb67 wrote:
enzed4 wrote:Unless SkiPi's all-in-one module comes to fruition and works as well as it looks like it will. Then I suspect the market may be flooded with unloved Gaptech modules... :lol:
What is this witchcraft you speak of? A Gaptech replacement?
You haven't seen this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78856&hilit=skipi

He's already got an exact duplicate of the GapTech functionality working (not sure about the console buttons, but definitely the key fob buttons).
It could be ready in a week, or a year. Obviously he has a life and other priorities, but this has the potential to be an awesome wee module :thumbsup:
I have now, thx for the heads up on an interesting thread. :thumbsup:
GONE - 3.0i SE. Sterling Grey. 2005.
Gaptech RCH+, ZHP, Stubby. CDV Delete.

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Thread revival as I'm placing the order tomorrow for the RCH+ module.

How easy are these to fit, more so, is there much in the way of trim to be removed to access the wiring?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:19 pm

nb67 wrote:Thread revival as I'm placing the order tomorrow for the RCH+ module.

How easy are these to fit, more so, is there much in the way of trim to be removed to access the wiring?
Very easy - you only need to remove the ashtray. I'd recommend crimp connectors rather than scotchlocks though - takes a little longer but gives a much better long-term connection
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:21 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
nb67 wrote:Thread revival as I'm placing the order tomorrow for the RCH+ module.

Very easy - you only need to remove the ashtray. I'd recommend crimp connectors rather than scotchlocks though - takes a little longer but gives a much better long-term connection
Cheers pal.

My ashtray is already out as I've been fixing, now fixed, the lid that wouldn't operate. I'll be using connector blocks as I detest scotchloks, thx for the heads up.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi, fitting is pretty simple-remove the ashtray/button unit (one screw & its out) splice into wiring-gaptech supply scotchclips but I found them to be of dubious reliability & used terminal strip instead, taking no chances with dodgy connections :thumbsup:

Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

nb67

Re: Fitting? Gaptech - Worth the outlay - Now buying.

Post by nb67 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Thx Smartbear!!

DanStarr

Post by DanStarr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:30 pm

I fitted mine about a year ago had no issues with the scotch locks long as you clamp them down well.
53 2.5 Maldives blue, gone but not forgotten.
53 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:36 pm

I second Smartbear's recommendation. I just fitted my RCH+ last week, and sure enough I had to redo it because one connection wasn't crimped properly (the red power wire in the car's loom is larger than the rest, and makes it harder to successfully crimp the small gaptech wire in the supplied crimp blocks because of the difference in wire gauge.
The best solution would be to solder, but I didn't want to risk it inside the car (visions of burnt carpets, melted wire insulation etc...).
On a positive note, I absolutely love it - so simple to raise/lower the roof now. Wish I had done this sooner.

russ67

Post by russ67 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Is this not something that could now be programmed using the Carly for BMW app/ thing?

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:49 pm

russ67 wrote:Is this not something that could now be programmed using the Carly for BMW app/ thing?
Doesn't look like it. I had a quick look at their website, and the coding for the E85 only duplicates the same top opening/closing functionality that I had already programmed using NCS - ie, press and hold the key fob unlock button to open the roof, press and hold the lock button on the key fob to close the roof.
The gaptech module is a lot more user friendly - you only have to press the key fob buttons 3 short times to lock, set alarm, wind up windows, or unlock, open roof, wind up windows. It also gives one touch open/close using the buttons inside the car (as opposed to having to hold the buttons down for the entire open or close sequence.
Looks like the Carly app doesn't come close to the Gaptech for this particular function unfortunately.

nb67

Post by nb67 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:02 am

RCH+ ordered today.

Looking forward to getting it fitted.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:39 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
markeg wrote:
Number5 wrote:I've not fitted one, purely due to the fact i cant justify £95 to save walking another few paces to the car.
You can open the roof on pre-2005 by holding the key in the door, so you still dont need to get in it, if its hot.

£50 I'd be tempted - £100 I 'm not (...yet !)
Ah, so you're the one with the "flimper" spec'd Alpina :wink:
:rofl:
This morning I went to install the Gaptech RCH that I recently bought on here from Kizim. I removed the Ash-tray and sat there beaming at me was a Gaptec +OTH module already installed ! I crimped up the connections a little tighter and bingo it all jumped into operation.

I've now passed the recent module without the OTH onto the chap who posted asking for second dibs, so now everyone is sorted and happy.
.....And it turns out I didnt have a Flimper Spec Alpina after all boys ! (Plus I've got another £65 back in my Zed funds!)
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Number5 wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:
markeg wrote:
Ah, so you're the one with the "flimper" spec'd Alpina :wink:
:rofl:
This morning I went to install the Gaptech RCH that I recently bought on here from Kizim. I removed the Ash-tray and sat there beaming at me was a Gaptec +OTH module already installed ! I crimped up the connections a little tighter and bingo it all jumped into operation.

I've now passed the recent module without the OTH onto the chap who posted asking for second dibs, so now everyone is sorted and happy.
.....And it turns out I didnt have a Flimper Spec Alpina after all boys ! (Plus I've got another £65 back in my Zed funds!)
What a result!!