Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help please - wiring heated seats

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Have a look at the plugs under the seats. Make sure that both ends of the plugs are populated. If the ends of the plugs are empty the car may not be pre-wired for heated seats. Mine was a pre-facelift with the standard non-electric seats and was not pre-wired. Not being particularly able in this area I needed an auto-electrician to sort it out for me.

eduardo3108

Post by eduardo3108 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks! I will take a look today. How can I visually check if there´s indeed a pre installation in the car (i.e. mats inside the seats). Also, how can I check if the cabling is in place from the seats to the panel? What makes me wonder is why, when connecting the new panel with the heated seats button I get a light that turns on and then off on the heating indicators... My Z4 is from early 2003, so it´s one of the first ones produced.

I appreciate all your help.

eduardo3108

Post by eduardo3108 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Does anyone now if taking the mats from a heated seat and putting them onto an originally non heated seat is doable? (It's because my interior is a different colour than the leather of the heated seat I plan to buy)

Thanks!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 pm

eduardo3108 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm Does anyone now if taking the mats from a heated seat and putting them onto an originally non heated seat is doable? (It's because my interior is a different colour than the leather of the heated seat I plan to buy)

Thanks!
I can't see why the heat pads won't fit as long as the seats are the same (sports or SE) and as yours i an early car, it should have the wires under the seats ready to plug in. Check on youtube about taking seat covers off
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 pm

eduardo3108 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm Does anyone now if taking the mats from a heated seat and putting them onto an originally non heated seat is doable? (It's because my interior is a different colour than the leather of the heated seat I plan to buy)

Thanks!
Theres a thread where someone refurbs a set of seats. To do it he removes the mats from another set and fits them to his own. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Redongreenongo

Post by Redongreenongo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 pm Have a look at the plugs under the seats. Make sure that both ends of the plugs are populated. If the ends of the plugs are empty the car may not be pre-wired for heated seats. Mine was a pre-facelift with the standard non-electric seats and was not pre-wired. Not being particularly able in this area I needed an auto-electrician to sort it out for me.
Hi, I know this is an old thread however I'm looking at a pre-facelift without heated seats so obviously of interest! I might be being a bit thick here but am I right in thinking if it is a pre-facelift with electric seats it will be pre-wired for heating but if it has non-electric seats it won't? Cheers for any help!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:51 am

Redongreenongo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 pm Have a look at the plugs under the seats. Make sure that both ends of the plugs are populated. If the ends of the plugs are empty the car may not be pre-wired for heated seats. Mine was a pre-facelift with the standard non-electric seats and was not pre-wired. Not being particularly able in this area I needed an auto-electrician to sort it out for me.
Hi, I know this is an old thread however I'm looking at a pre-facelift without heated seats so obviously of interest! I might be being a bit thick here but am I right in thinking if it is a pre-facelift with electric seats it will be pre-wired for heating but if it has non-electric seats it won't? Cheers for any help!
Most pre-facelift Zeds have all the wiring looms in place, which makes retro-fits so much easier. I believe even the non-electric seats in some pre-face lift Zeds have the looms, others may be able to confirm
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Redongreenongo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 pm
Mine was a pre-facelift car and it was not pre-wired for heated seats. I think it was built in June 2005. It did not have electric seats either. If you are not sure zi would have an auto-electrician to have a look to check. Good luck with your research. :D

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Quickest way to see if you are already prewired may be to pull the centre console switch unit out and look at the wires going into the plug that connects it to the wiring harness. If the plug is fully populated then it it just waiting for the switch panel to be swapped for one with the heated seat switches built in; if there are gaps then the wiring is probably not there already. I've recently been discussing seat upgrades with a couple of early Z4 owners (2003 models) and they were prewired for 1) heated seats in a car with electric but non heated seats and 2) electric seats in a car that came with manual seats.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

left98204

Post by left98204 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Mine is October 04 registered. Originally it had manual non-heated sports seats. I can confirm it was pre-wired and I now have electric heated sports seats. I have also retro-fitted an 04 occupancy sensor which meant I could get rid of the bypass module I also fitted at the time.

I believe October 04 build was the last time cars were pre-wired for everything, including cruise control, a really simple retro-fit.
54 Plate 2.2 SE, Titanium Silver, retro fitted Heated, Electric MSports Seats, Gaptech, Cruise Control, 108's - Owned from new :)

Kendodeal83

Post by Kendodeal83 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi jus been been reading this post I’ve jus retro fitted some heated seats thinking wiring was in place I had electric memory seats jus not heated thought was gunna be plug and play but being mine is a 2005 3.0 smg I do t think it is as the heated seats won’t come on light flashes wen u press button but that’s it so I think the wiring is not there checked the fuses and they are there I installed a oem switch control as well as the seats can anyone help me is it a case of the x3 wiring loom? Or is there another way?

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 pm

That's spooky, I've just asked a similar question...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91934
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Kendodeal83

Post by Kendodeal83 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm

That’s funny have u had any response to be honest if I had know on the real early cars had loom in place I wouldn’t of started it but I’m in it now and desperate to get them working lol

Kendodeal83

Post by Kendodeal83 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:16 pm

I really need to get hold of the retro fit instructions and the loom

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm

2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.