Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

power Flex Bushes

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
synthedup

power Flex Bushes

Post by synthedup » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade all the bushes when I fit my coil overs. I have found this complete set on ebay that looks a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151289768165? ... EBIDX%3AIT

My car is a 2006 2.0 model.

My questions is woudl people who know what they are talking about recommend this pack?

Also do I need 66mm or 60mm for the from wishbone bushes?

Also do I need 25mm or 24mm front anti roll bar bushes?

Also do I need 18mm 19mm of 22.5mm rear anti roll bar bushes?

And finally do I need 10 or 12 mill top mount bracket? the coliovers I have are - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... ar-15-40mm

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure i get everything right :)

Thanks again.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Re: power Flex Bushes

Post by GuidoK » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Actually that bushing set doesnt replace all of the bushings (only about half), but it's a start. It replaces the most important ones I guess and certainly the ones that are easiest accessible.

You need 66mm front bushings, and for the arb's depending if you have m sport suspension you need 23,5mm (standard) or 25mm (msport) in the front and 15mm (standard) or 19mm (msport) at the rear.

If you cant get a 15mm rear from powerflex, you can get them at http://www.strongflex.eu. They have practically the same stuff (actually they have a lot more) than powerflex.
I have a spreadsheet that displays about what is possible with PU bushings for the z4. It's still in progress (and there are already some new bushings) but it's pretty much complete for the z4:
http://audio.home.xs4all.nl/zooi/z4/bus ... 0V1.1.xlsx
So this also covers rear suspension arms, subframes, diffs etc.

I don't know the diameter of the coilovers. Ask the supplier.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Hey synthedup drop nfbr a pm and see what he can do for you as he just did me a good deal on the powerful rear shock top mounts and I got my wishbone bushes from him last year
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:18 am

adam1985 wrote:Hey synthedup drop nfbr a pm and see what he can do for you as he just did me a good deal on the powerful rear shock top mounts and I got my wishbone bushes from him last year

Hi Adam,

Who is nfbr? :) sorry if that a stupid question.

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:03 am

No problem, he is a user on here and works for a car parts/tuning company. Here is a link to his profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17230
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Carparts4less are worth a look, cheapest I found online.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:35 pm

synthedup wrote:Who is nfbr? :) sorry if that a stupid question.
Me :)

brucietheboy

Post by brucietheboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Does anyone know if the RTAB:

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/ ... /1315.html

Is the same fit for all variations of the E85/E86?
Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport (PDC, Xenons, Cruise, MFSW, Storage Pack, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach, Dension) and Mercedes CD320 CDI Sport

ImageImage

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Yes it is the same.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

brucietheboy

Post by brucietheboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Great, thank you. Just took Scooba_Steve's advice and purchased via Carparts4less as they were the cheapest I could find and also got quidco and found a 10% off code for performance parts (which is FAST10).
Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport (PDC, Xenons, Cruise, MFSW, Storage Pack, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach, Dension) and Mercedes CD320 CDI Sport

ImageImage

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:18 pm

brucietheboy wrote:Great, thank you. Just took Scooba_Steve's advice and purchased via Carparts4less as they were the cheapest
It'd have been cheaper still if you'd PM'd and bought them through me... :P

brucietheboy

Post by brucietheboy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:54 am

nfbr wrote:
brucietheboy wrote:Great, thank you. Just took Scooba_Steve's advice and purchased via Carparts4less as they were the cheapest
It'd have been cheaper still if you'd PM'd and bought them through me... :P
I'll be in touch for the other bushes soon then, the challenge is on for you to beat all other prices :)

Do you do quidco? :D

ImageImage

born

Post by born » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 pm

Have you been in one with poly bushes in the front wishbones?
I put them in mine and swapped back to o.e. after a week! Way too noisy and vibey for my liking, and I like dumb ass, low, crashy, stupid cars!

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:49 pm

born wrote:Have you been in one with poly bushes in the front wishbones?
I put them in mine and swapped back to o.e. after a week! Way too noisy and vibey for my liking, and I like dumb ass, low, crashy, stupid cars!
You've either done something seriously wrong on install, or bought the cheap nasty 'non-tested' un-branded ones from eBay.

I've fitted Powerflex and Superpro Wishbone bushes on pretty much every vehicle that I have ever owned and I have not once found any increase in Noise, Vibration or Harshness.

The only differences that I found with the Z4 were that the steering felt less wandery, and more positive on turning in.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Exactly. Powerflex makes an excellent product (no experience with superpro).
Superflex is another excellent (british) manufacturer of PU bushings (not cheap though, but made with expensive materials and construction, so the money does go into the product, not into the profit).
What's important for PU bushings is that there is some kind of grease trap inside to keep the copperpaste in place.
The powerflex front control arm bushings have large ridges inside them, and their other bushings have a knurled pattern inside to lubricate the stainless steel inner core.
I also have good experience with superflex. Not as good as powerflex (altough their products are very similar in design and they have a larger assortment), but cheaper, and they also seem to last.

I've completely polybushed my z4 and have no squeaks/noise what so ever (and have been driving with it for 5 years now problem free, since I swapped the fcabs), so your problem must be a result of bad install or bad products.
The front control arm powerflex bushings (the purple ones from their normal line) are not very stiff. They feel like a new OEM bushing but they keep that new feel (normal rubber softens over time), and are not harsh at all.
On the rear I changed all the bushings for a stiffer compound (shore90a instead of shore80a), and that is a difference you can feel. But not a huge difference. For example changing the oem shocks for a kw coilover set is a bigger difference is stiffness.