Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My heated seats saga . . . Update

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:40 am

I bought a pair of electric M Sports heated seats from a forum member in January. I’ve had them fitted and have to say they’re in excellent condition, and give great support on spirited drives – way more comfortable than the standard seats.

Although the seats have the heated elements, my face-lift Zed isn’t pre-wired for heated seats, and so began the search for wiring looms and a centre console with additional switches. I managed to find a centre console fairly easily on eBay, but the wiring looms were a different matter! BMW no longer sell retrofit looms for the facelift Z4, and I found it impossible to source second hand ones from breakers :headbang:

Forum to the rescue: I am greatly indebted to Fishy Dave who was also looking to retrofit heated seats to his M roady. He researched the discontinued Z4 retrofit looms and matched them to BMW X3 retrofit looms, which he then sourced from the States - he even labelled them up for me and posted them on (full story here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83970 ). Also a big thanks to Mr PT for providing the Z4 retrofit instructions :thumbsup:

My Zed is booked in at my Indy’s tomorrow. I will give the garage the retrofit instructions together with the labelled up X3 looms and the new centre console – I’ve already discussed the job with the mechanic who’s going to attempt it. The key to whether this works is the retrofit looms from the X3: It looks like they have all the correct cables and pin connections, but we won’t know until they are physically wired into the Zed.

So its fingers and toes crossed :cry:
Last edited by Marlon on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

spic

My heated seats saga . . .

Post by spic » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:57 am

I've got the sport seats but their not heated and in the winter I wish they were, all the stress will hopefully be well worth it in the end :thumbsup:

spic

Post by spic » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am

What would we do without the tinternet hey :)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:01 am

Yeah,Marlon,the sports seats are good,I never felt the standard seats should have been fitted by BMW as it's a sports car,and sports seats should have been a given,lol.
Nice upgrade when it's done :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 am

Glad your finally getting it sorted, it seems ages ago you bought your seats now. Stellar work on the part of fishy dave and mr PT to make this happen. So glad my 05 came with these as standard so when I put the sports seats in it was plug and play.

I've never understood bmw's decision to alter the loom in later cars. Makes all sort of potential dealer retrofit options such as cruise a pain in the arse.

I only have cruise on mine due to info gleaned from this forum and actually only bought the car because I knew I could retrofit it relatively easily. Then I got a pleasant surprise when I discovered my 05 had the pre wiring so it was far easier than I thought it might be! I had thought on purchase I would have to do some wiring.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:16 am

MACK wrote: . . .
I've never understood bmw's decision to alter the loom in later cars. Makes all sort of potential dealer retrofit options such as cruise a pain in the arse. . . ...
Probably cost, damn annoying :headbang:
911 997 Carrera S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:21 am

Marlon wrote:
MACK wrote: . . .
I've never understood bmw's decision to alter the loom in later cars. Makes all sort of potential dealer retrofit options such as cruise a pain in the arse. . . ...
Probably cost, damn annoying :headbang:
Possibly but I would have thought it would have been cheaper to have their supplier just design/make/supply one loom for the entire platform. Probably make assembly easier for the workers if they are all the same as well.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:33 am

craig3.2 wrote:Yeah,Marlon,the sports seats are good,I never felt the standard seats should have been fitted by BMW as it's a sports car,and sports seats should have been a given,lol . . .
Yep - couldn't agree more Craig.
911 997 Carrera S

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Marlon wrote:
craig3.2 wrote:Yeah,Marlon,the sports seats are good,I never felt the standard seats should have been fitted by BMW as it's a sports car,and sports seats should have been a given,lol . . .
Yep - couldn't agree more Craig.
Don't forget it was built in America where sports seats are useless because nobody can get their big fat ar*es into one ! :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Hey mate hope it all gets sorted. To be honest if the guy has a decent grasp of electics it's a simple job :thumbsup: .
A Dirty M///

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:Hey mate hope it all gets sorted. To be honest if the guy has a decent grasp of electics it's a simple job :thumbsup: .
Cheers mate, that's reassuring :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:12 pm

I now have heated seats :dance2:

Apparently the looms went in fairly straightforwardly, apart from the usual faff of having to dismantle half of the interior.

Huge thanks and respect to Fishy Dave, without whom this would not have been possible (details earlier in thread).

It took a long time and a lot of effort but was worth it.
I drove back from the garage with roof down and seat on full - I'd forgotten just how toasty hot they get :D

Before & after pics

Before:

After:

:crazydude:
911 997 Carrera S

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:17 pm

:fuelfire: seats

:D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

all worth it in the end... well done for seeing it through :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

nb67

Post by nb67 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Great news buddy.

Finally sorted just as we hit Summer :rofl:

Fingers crossed the indicator keeps behaving too.
GONE - 3.0i SE. Sterling Grey. 2005.
Gaptech RCH+, ZHP, Stubby. CDV Delete.

David-H

Post by David-H » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:25 pm

Looking good and will be useful (sometimes). :) :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving: