Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation?........

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Kap'nZ4

Condensation?........

Post by Kap'nZ4 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 pm

Yea, took the advise of an old thread and finally got around to doing it.
Results....

Sadly tho I see some corrosion, but at least I know I can pamper the new fogs when I get them in for installation.

Thanks to the members here for a cheap, no hassle fix that will shine brightly on those foggy mornings.
God saw me fit enough to drive it. It's my responsibility to drive it the way its meant to be drove. (All Roads Open.) Mods and fixes are mounting and I don't care, as it will be drove come hell or high water. :D

Z43.0Si

Condensation?........

Post by Z43.0Si » Tue May 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I need to do this.

Where and how many holes did you make? What size drill bit would be good to know too.

Kap'nZ4

Condensation?........

Post by Kap'nZ4 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:47 am

Aye, imagine that info would be helpful, but since no one in that thread really answered that question I had to poke and hope.

Also I was unwilling to drop the bumper so I just grabbed my drill,, compromised on the drill bit not being to small or to large, knowing it was going to leave a little mar, but only if you knew to look hard. Since I DID NOT drop the bumper I had to drill at about a 60 degree angle. Little more on the out side corners and using a 1/16" bit to drill a pilot hole.
Careful with the little bit as they tend to break easy. Slow and steady is the way.

God saw me fit enough to drive it. It's my responsibility to drive it the way its meant to be drove. (All Roads Open.) Mods and fixes are mounting and I don't care, as it will be drove come hell or high water. :D

goldbcfc

Condensation?........

Post by goldbcfc » Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am

wont drilling holes just let more moisture in

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Condensation?........

Post by mr.tourette » Thu May 26, 2016 12:29 pm

goldbcfc wrote:wont drilling holes just let more moisture in
nope...did mine 4 months ago and they have been dry ever since although they do get a little condensation still on cold mornings it clears quickly...they were piss wet through permanently before the mod
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

goldbcfc

Condensation?........

Post by goldbcfc » Thu May 26, 2016 4:02 pm

surely making a holes lets in moisture though think about it as soon as humidities drops moisture will form. First law of thermo dynamics ,heat moves from hot to cold. By drilling hole the cold side will draw heat inside. You should of just took it out and dried it maybe sealing the back more where there's probably already a hole letting in moisture to give the original problem.

Snails

Condensation?........

Post by Snails » Thu May 26, 2016 5:10 pm

goldbcfc wrote:surely making a holes lets in moisture though think about it as soon as humidities drops moisture will form. First law of thermo dynamics ,heat moves from hot to cold. By drilling hole the cold side will draw heat inside. You should of just took it out and dried it maybe sealing the back more where there's probably already a hole letting in moisture to give the original problem.

I'm reasonably new here, but having read through the other threads regarding moisture in the fog lights, little seems to work. People have tried drying and sealing, people have purchased new units, but unfortunately had little luck. The only success I have read about is drilling them. This allows air to circulate through the fog and stops moisture building up in them. As they are moisture gets in, but has no ready way of getting out again and builds up. With holes drilled, air can circulate and moisture doesn't build.
Z4 Coupe - Ruby Black

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Condensation?........

Post by mr.tourette » Thu May 26, 2016 6:01 pm

goldbcfc wrote:surely making a holes lets in moisture though think about it as soon as humidities drops moisture will form. First law of thermo dynamics ,heat moves from hot to cold. By drilling hole the cold side will draw heat inside. You should of just took it out and dried it maybe sealing the back more where there's probably already a hole letting in moisture to give the original problem.
Theories and long winded fixes that many have already tried and failed with are fine for folk wanting to go down that route... all i can tell you is i had piss wet fogs.. for zero cost and 10 minutes effort i now have dry fogs which is a vast improvement on what i previously had :D
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D