Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do I have xenon's?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
RickyG512

Do I have xenon's?

Post by RickyG512 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi guys,

Just purchased a 2003 Z4 3.0i. Will be making a larger post in the noobie section. I plan to be very active on the forum with loads of heavy modding to the Zed lol. But as a quick question, does anyone know if my model has the xenon's (D2S) headlights (picture attached) as one of the bulbs has just got out and need to replace asap. It has the glass ball looking thing but still not sure if it's H7 or D2S. I'm not even sure what Bi-Xenon's are?

Thanks =)
Attachments
20160630_213700.jpg
20160630_213700.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Black 2003 E85 Z4 3.0i (newbie)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Do I have xenon's?

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:47 pm

Bonnet up & look for yellow warning stickers on lamp plastics :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

RickyG512

Do I have xenon's?

Post by RickyG512 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Will do first thing in the morning.

But does that mean then you can still have the glass ball and still have a halogen H7 bulb behind it?
Black 2003 E85 Z4 3.0i (newbie)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:45 pm

Firstly welcome to the forum - what good taste you have! Looking forward to some pictures in the Newbies thread!

Anyway from what I have read on here, if you have the thumbwheel next to the light switch to adjust the headlight beam height then you don't have Xenons.

Another clue is headlight washers - apparently they are "compulsory" with Xenons, so if you don't have headlight washers then you don't have Xenons.

Final clue is to drive an unlit single-carriageway at night - if all looks good you either have Xenons or great eyesight! If it all looks a bit invisible you probably don't have Xenons (or have terrible eye-sight)!

I won't say the difference is like night and day (oops, just did!) but changing from one with them to one without you really do appreciate how good they are (even if they are expensive to replace)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Worcester_spoon

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Worcester_spoon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:42 am

Stick the last 7 digits of your vin in here - http://www.bmwvin.com/ - it'll tell you everything your car left the factory with.

The yellow warning sticker and non adjustable lights (xenons are self levelling) are also obvious tells, as already mentioned.

Bi-xenons I believe are only on facelift models (clear indicators rather than orange) and are just a different design, so your wont have bi-xenons, just xenons.

Welcome BTW - look forward to hearing about the mods.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:15 am

If you can see the road at night you have Xenons, if not, Halogen!

You could have a H7 bulb behind the lens. Lots of tell tale signs given above, don't rely on one and check both lamps.

If you do have Halogen and want to see consider putting a HID kit in. Huge difference.
Last edited by Scooba_Steve on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:05 am

If you do find all the indications are that they are halogen, given so many people have replaced halogens with aftermarket HID's then I would just open the inspection cover on the rear of the headlight and look at the bulb to be certain of exactly what you have and even if basic halogen the make and type of bulb.

You'll be upset if you buy and it's not right or odd colours
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Rialas

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Rialas » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:19 am

For those off us without :(,
What's the best upgrade route.
Hids?
Is it possible to upgrade to factory xenon?
Cheers.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:30 am

Upgrading to oem xenon would be very difficult as you'd need the headlights themselves which are rare and expensive, different LCM (light switch) or recode it and ideally the suspension sensors to level the lights.

Most fit aftermarket HID kits, which while technically could be illegal and could fail and MOT (but worries seem to have faded over the last year)

LED replacements are appearing but I have no experience of them.

You could try better halogen bulbs available from Philips, Osram, etc. but they are still just halogen bulbs
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

mr nurburgring

Do I have xenon's?

Post by mr nurburgring » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:58 pm

If you look on the headlight lens it says D2S.
And you have washers so if it's original bumper I would say you do have xenon

Ant

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Ant » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

shiuld have no adjustment wheel inside, should have water jets and when ya turn on the lights aim at a wall if you hear them go "vrrr errrr" and they move up and down self adjusting then yes

bixenons means use one bulb for both the normal dipped beam, and fullbeam with a shutter that kicks in to engage it, none facelifts don't have it no idea if facelifts or later models do

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by ben g » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:22 pm

mr nurburgring wrote:If you look on the headlight lens it says D2S.
Mine have D2S on the plastic cover and have washer jets, yet I have halogens, so these are not good indicators.

As said, thumbwheel on the light switch, stickers under the bonnet warning of high voltage (I think) and actually being able to see down a country lane at night are the best indicators.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

mr nurburgring

Do I have xenon's?

Post by mr nurburgring » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:44 pm

ben g wrote:
Mine have D2S on the plastic cover and have washer jets, yet I have halogens, so these are not good indicators.

As said, thumbwheel on the light switch, stickers under the bonnet warning of high voltage (I think) and actually being able to see down a country lane at night are the best indicators.
That's strange as the marking on the lens indicate what bulbs should be fitted. Unless someone before swapped the light covers or something.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by ben g » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:21 pm

mr nurburgring wrote:
ben g wrote:

That's strange as the marking on the lens indicate what bulbs should be fitted. Unless someone before swapped the light covers or something.
The covers say H7 D2S on in very small text. I also have spares which say the same. Would be interested to see whether it's a universal thing across all Z4's.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:42 pm

My lenses also say D2S/H7 and they were halogen... Not any more.

I think it's because the housings are identical, the internals are interchangeable.

Mike