Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do I have xenon's?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
RickyG512

Do I have xenon's?

Post by RickyG512 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Ant wrote:shiuld have no adjustment wheel inside, should have water jets and when ya turn on the lights aim at a wall if you hear them go "vrrr errrr" and they move up and down self adjusting then yes

bixenons means use one bulb for both the normal dipped beam, and fullbeam with a shutter that kicks in to engage it, none facelifts don't have it no idea if facelifts or later models do
This is weird

I DO have an adjustment wheel
I DO have washer jets
I DO see them go up/down with the the vrrr
I DONT see any yellow stickers

What the hells going on lol?

Well the bulbs blown what ever bulb it is, so I'm gonna actually take apart the wheel arch cover and try remove the bulb and find out
Attachments
20160701_205233.jpg
20160701_205233.jpg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Black 2003 E85 Z4 3.0i (newbie)

mr nurburgring

Do I have xenon's?

Post by mr nurburgring » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 pm

RickyG512 wrote:
Ant wrote:shiuld have no adjustment wheel inside, should have water jets and when ya turn on the lights aim at a wall if you hear them go "vrrr errrr" and they move up and down self adjusting then yes

bixenons means use one bulb for both the normal dipped beam, and fullbeam with a shutter that kicks in to engage it, none facelifts don't have it no idea if facelifts or later models do
This is weird

I DO have washer jets

Well the bulbs blown what ever bulb it is, so I'm gonna actually take apart the wheel arch cover and try remove the bulb and find out
Cool! Take a pic of your bulb and post it up!

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by ben g » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:27 pm

You have halogens. The up/down on startup is perfectly normal.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Steve84N

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:08 pm

The headlight adjuster is a good indicator, washers and levelling noise on both.

All of this aside the one thing nobody has pointed out yet is that halogens have a reflector type light on the inside but xenons are projector type on both. Reflector is the shiny multi-faceted light and projector is the cloudy looking dome shaped one. So yes 100% halogens.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:36 pm

Yes - that all say the same on the lens. The basic mouldings are identical just the internals and ancills are changed
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:56 am

Steve84N wrote:The headlight adjuster is a good indicator, washers and levelling noise on both.

All of this aside the one thing nobody has pointed out yet is that halogens have a reflector type light on the inside but xenons are projector type on both. Reflector is the shiny multi-faceted light and projector is the cloudy looking dome shaped one. So yes 100% halogens.
Both halogen and xenon have a reflector and both are "projector" lamps.

Mike

Steve84N

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Steve84N » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:35 am

This is a car with xenons and you can see that the inner light (main beam I think) is shaped like the outer dipped beam. The OP has a different one more like the older style of headlight.

http://www.headlightreviews.com/project ... housing-2/
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-07-02-02-23-51.png
Screenshot_2016-07-02-02-23-51.png (444.38 KiB) Viewed 985 times
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:35 am

Steve84N wrote:This is a car with xenons and you can see that the inner light (main beam I think) is shaped like the outer dipped beam. The OP has a different one more like the older style of headlight.

http://www.headlightreviews.com/project ... housing-2/

Irrelevant, on a Z like the OP's, the exterior photos will be identical for Halogen/Xenon.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:59 am

RickyG512 wrote:

This is weird

I DO have washer jets

You have halogens. A bulb change is easiest with the wheel off. If you're thinking of putting uprated bulbs in I'd suggest not wasting your money and get a HID kit. They are not technically legal but with washers I've not been failed come MOT time and can actually see where im going at night. Around £50 for the set and mine have lasted 2 years/30k plus despite me using them all most all the time including during the day. £12.50 for replacement pairs, compared to £25+ for upgrade bulbs that output less than half the HIDs.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

RickyG512

Do I have xenon's?

Post by RickyG512 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:23 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:
You have halogens. A bulb change is easiest with the wheel off. If you're thinking of putting uprated bulbs in I'd suggest not wasting your money and get a HID kit. They are not technically legal but with washers I've not been failed come MOT time and can actually see where im going at night. Around £50 for the set and mine have lasted 2 years/30k plus despite me using them all most all the time including during the day. £12.50 for replacement pairs, compared to £25+ for upgrade bulbs that output less than half the HIDs.
Hi there,

with the HID conversion kit, do you still get the strait edge, sharp cut-off point at the top of the beam pattern as you would do with OEM HID? and would it then need D2S bulbs?

or is the light pattern softly/evenly spread out, similar to a H7 Halogen pattern?

Black 2003 E85 Z4 3.0i (newbie)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Do I have xenon's?

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 am

RickyG512 wrote:

This is weird

I DO have washer jets

That's why i would look for the yellow warning sticker first .
Seen so many cars advertised with Xenon's ( not just BMWs) that are actually halogens it can be difficult to tell just from pictures

Ps , hope a under bonnet detail is on your list of to do's :oops: :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:03 am

RickyG512 wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:
Hi there,

with the HID conversion kit, do you still get the strait edge, sharp cut-off point at the top of the beam pattern as you would do with OEM HID? and would it then need D2S bulbs?

or is the light pattern softly/evenly spread out, similar to a H7 Halogen pattern?

Yes you still get a sharp cut-off and the burners are a H7 HID type not D2S. PM me your email and I'll send over some pics of mine.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:32 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:
RickyG512 wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:
Hi there,

Yes you still get a sharp cut-off and the burners are a H7 HID type not D2S. PM me your email and I'll send over some pics of mine.
I've also retrofitted HID's, good improvement for minimum outlay. BUT subsequently got an even bigger improvement by cleaning the glass lenses inside the headlamps. Detailed in this thread; viewtopic.php?f=34&t=82010&p=1303834&hi ... s#p1303834

WELL worth doing!

Mike

Steve84N

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Steve84N » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
Steve84N wrote:This is a car with xenons and you can see that the inner light (main beam I think) is shaped like the outer dipped beam. The OP has a different one more like the older style of headlight.

Irrelevant, on a Z like the OP's, the exterior photos will be identical for Halogen/Xenon.

Mike
If you compared the picture I posted and the OPs picture you'd see the difference. Here's a direct comparison. :wink:

Halogen with main beam reflector type

Xenon with projector type main beam
Last edited by Steve84N on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Do I have xenon's?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Those are facelift lights - I believe pre-facelift are identical Halogen and Xenon, i.e. are not Bi-Xenon like facelifts with the inner dummy lens.