Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe vs roadster

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MartynFrancis

Coupe vs roadster

Post by MartynFrancis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:32 pm

After today's antics, I've also got thinking about the above topic. I loved my roadster, great in the summer, crap in the winter and cleaning the roof was always a ball ache. There's some great prices on coupes at the moment about. So leads me on to a couple of questions...
In particular Boot space.... I can't seem to find anywhere the litre capacity between the e85 and e86?

I'm looking for 2006 and newer, but as my 2.5 2003 roadster was only 67k on the clock before it was sadly written off, I feel a little uncomfortable with more miles than 80k for the kind of money of around £7k. Despite this I have no idea why as our 56 plate 320d tourer has 160k on the clock and never skips a beat! Opinions? Help me get this out of my head should I feel uncomfortable about a car that's 10 years old ish and 100k?
Silver 3.0si auto with flappy paddles and loving it! :driving: MM tips

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

David-H

Coupe vs roadster

Post by David-H » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:44 pm

MartynFrancis wrote:After today's antics, I've also got thinking about the above topic. I loved my roadster, great in the summer, crap in the winter and cleaning the roof was always a ball ache. There's some great prices on coupes at the moment about. So leads me on to a couple of questions...
In particular Boot space.... I can't seem to find anywhere the litre capacity between the e85 and e86?

I'm looking for 2006 and newer, but as my 2.5 2003 roadster was only 67k on the clock before it was sadly written off, I feel a little uncomfortable with more miles than 80k for the kind of money of around £7k. Despite this I have no idea why as our 56 plate 320d tourer has 160k on the clock and never skips a beat! Opinions? Help me get this out of my head should I feel uncomfortable about a car that's 10 years old ish and 100k?
What's important is the service history and the condition, far more so than the mileage.
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

TR4man

Coupe vs roadster

Post by TR4man » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:54 pm

^^^^ very true.

Why are people so obsessed with mileage - it's just a number!
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

MartynFrancis

Coupe vs roadster

Post by MartynFrancis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:58 pm

I know, I think I've just got it in my head as mine was so low!
Silver 3.0si auto with flappy paddles and loving it! :driving: MM tips

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Coupe vs roadster

Post by MACK » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:01 pm

TR4man wrote:^^^^ very true.

Always makes me laugh this obsession we seem to have with mileage this side of the pond. You don't really get it to anything like the same extent in the us/Canada. Maybe it's to do with them running big v8's when we were running ford anglias etc and the engines lasted longer. Times have changed and any decent modern engine should have a good 200k+ in it if looked after, even the smaller ones
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

85genius

Coupe vs roadster

Post by 85genius » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Stick with the roadsters!

You can pick up a hardtop for the winter best of both
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Steve84N

Coupe vs roadster

Post by Steve84N » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Try getting two front tyres in the boot of a roadster (225/40/18)...

The boot is a really useful feature on the coupe, no good for long DIY items but swallows plenty of luggage.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Coupe vs roadster

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Steve84N wrote:Try getting two front tyres in the boot of a roadster (225/40/18)...

The boot is a really useful feature on the coupe, no good for long DIY items but swallows plenty of luggage.
I put my tyres in the passenger seat when I run them up to be fitted. Realy easy to get them in, with the roof down. :D :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Coupe vs roadster

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:31 pm

buzyg wrote:
Steve84N wrote:Try getting two front tyres in the boot of a roadster (225/40/18)...

I put my tyres in the passenger seat when I run them up to be fitted. Realy easy to get them in, with the roof down. :D :thumbsup:
Maybe, but I wouldn't want to be putting wheels in the passenger seat when it is trimmed in Pearl Grey! Thinking about it, maybe that is why I bought a Coupe? :lol:

To be honest I never wanted a Roadster, but the more time I spend on here the more inclined I am to try one if I get a chance. After all any N/A straight 6 petrol BMW with a manual gearbox can't be all bad! (Just a shame they don't make any now AFAIK)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Steve84N

Coupe vs roadster

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:24 am

buzyg wrote:

Maybe, but you can't go on holiday with the Mrs and a similar volume of luggage... :P
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

NeilP

Coupe vs roadster

Post by NeilP » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 am

Steve84N wrote:
buzyg wrote:

Maybe, but you can't go on holiday with the Mrs and a similar volume of luggage... :P
Most convincing argument so far for the coupe over the roadster.

:thumbsup:

Go for a coupe if you find the right one. Just my £0.02.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Coupe vs roadster

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 am

I like them both, mileage is more of a psychological factor provided the car has been well looked after.
The coupe is a stunning looking car, its body shape and curves look great from all angles, and its quite rare to spot one so they have an exclusive air about them. Your choice depends on how much you like open top motoring I guess?
For me you cant beat top down driving on a sunny day, or even a cold crisp winters day with the heated seats on full. Driving down country lanes you feel part of the landscape, seeing the sky and hearing the birds in the trees - its a completely different driving experience.
:driving:
Like 85genius, I have a hardtop which I will use in the winter months, so I guess that makes me a pseudo coupe driver :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Coupe vs roadster

Post by Taz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:45 am

The coupe boot is quite big. Once you remove to detractabe cover you can get quite a bit in there

z4pilot

Coupe vs roadster

Post by z4pilot » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:54 am

TR4man wrote:^^^^ very true.

I kind of agree, but higher mileage cars in general can tend towards tired trim, squeaks, rattles, niggly faults etc. I realise you can get any manner of issues with low mileage cars too, just statistically as components come towards the end of their lives, the failure rate will increase.

Having said that, I had a drive in Jamie_Z4's coupe last week and if mine drives, sounds, and looks as good as that by the time it hits 94K, I'll be more than happy!
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Steve84N

Coupe vs roadster

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:05 am

Mine's got 61,000 on it and it has some bloody annoying trim rattles I've yet to track down. Had common problems like water pump failure, exhaust hanger snapped etc so to me the high mileage is not something to ignore but it should be OK if all these little jobs are addressed as they crop up. The real problems are the high owner number cars where a list of stuff has built up. Not easy to spot everything though on viewing without a proper inspection on a ramp.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc