Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Completely folded roof *Updated Pics*?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Motto

Completely folded roof *Updated Pics*?

Post by Motto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi,

Finally managed to get the roof down for the first time the other week and wanted to check that the roof in completely folded correctly as when you look at it from the front it doesn't look flush - I think this is normal but just wanted to check, so it doesn't come flying off! P.S. what's the handle/button thing directly below in the top pic? Pics below, cheers:

Last edited by Motto on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03 Z4 3.0i Sterling Grey 6 speed.
Ellipsoids, Carver 6 disc, SAT NAV, New England leather, heated & elec mem seats, cruise, wind deflector, Xenons.

csmith319

Re: Completely folded roof?

Post by csmith319 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 pm

That doesn't look right I'm afraid - did you hold the button down until the noise of the motor stopped? It will stop completely on its own.
2006 Z4MR - Black on black
2007 997S - Cobalt Blue
2007 130i LE - Carbon Black, Lemon Leather and lots of toys - GONE!
2006 3.0si Sport Roadster - Silver, black hood & black leather, MV2's, stubby & ZHP gear knob - GONE!

Motto

Post by Motto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 pm

csmith319 wrote:That doesn't look right I'm afraid - did you hold the button down until the noise of the motor stopped? It will stop completely on its own.
Yeh I did - dam* I knew something would go wrong! I take it the roof is meant to clip in to those clips which can be seen above?

The thing is though (after the roof is down) I have tried pressing the 'roof up' button for a sec the red light flashes on the 'roof down' button, then goes out once I lower the roof again, suggesting that the roof is properly down?
Ellipsoids, Carver 6 disc, SAT NAV, New England leather, heated & elec mem seats, cruise, wind deflector, Xenons.

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 pm

I had the exact same problem. There is a guide how to adjust it which I had done under warranty but this hasn't helped. Its only when its very cold and shouldn't cause any problems, just push it down if your nervous :)
BMW Z4 2.2i, 108s, Red Leather! CDV Mod, ZHP Shift Knob, Retro fit ///M Multifunction Steering Wheel, Retro fit Xenons!

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Yup something isnt right there, the handle/button thing is used on manual folding roofs to release it from the clips that secure it when its fully down.

csmith319

Post by csmith319 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 pm

The flashing button means it thinks it isn't properly up / down (cos thats how I realised I hadn't fully opened mine when I first did it!) - however, if it's going off then it may think its down.

However, I'm completely guessing now - so I think some more experienced owners are needed (I've only owned mine for a month or so more than you).

There are 2 'things' in the boot that need to be in the right place, but I thought they completely prevent roof operation if they're not.
2006 Z4MR - Black on black
2007 997S - Cobalt Blue
2007 130i LE - Carbon Black, Lemon Leather and lots of toys - GONE!
2006 3.0si Sport Roadster - Silver, black hood & black leather, MV2's, stubby & ZHP gear knob - GONE!

Motto

Post by Motto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:21 pm

ElegantSpoon wrote:I had the exact same problem. There is a guide how to adjust it which I had done under warranty but this hasn't helped. Its only when its very cold and shouldn't cause any problems, just push it down if your nervous :)
Cheers. So it should click in to those catches? And there should be no worries in pushing it down to fit in to those catches?

It has been extremely baltic here right enough, any other suggestions?

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Heres the guide :)

http://www.bmwtis.net/tsb/bulletins/bul ... 40302g.htm

EDIT: Just seen your reply, yea you can just push it that last bit. When I asked about this before quite a few people have this issue and they changed it in 2006 I believe.
BMW Z4 2.2i, 108s, Red Leather! CDV Mod, ZHP Shift Knob, Retro fit ///M Multifunction Steering Wheel, Retro fit Xenons!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 pm

One other thing to check is the way the roof folds as it goes down. I'm having a beer watching the footie so can't be articulate enough in words to describe what I mean :D , but take a pic of it half down tomorrow or whatever and post it and I'll show you.

Motto

Post by Motto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 pm

ElegantSpoon wrote:Heres the guide :)

http://www.bmwtis.net/tsb/bulletins/bul ... 40302g.htm

EDIT: Just seen your reply, yea you can just push it that last bit. When I asked about this before quite a few people have this issue and they changed it in 2006 I believe.
Many thanks, that's a very handy link. May push it in to place and see what happens after that (depending on opinions on here!) - difficult to know then if it will improve in the summer?

One other thing to check is the way the roof folds as it goes down. I'm having a beer watching the footie so can't be articulate enough in words to describe what I mean , but take a pic of it half down tomorrow or whatever and post it and I'll show you.
Will have to do that on Friday (half day and will be with the car), hope it enlightens you Mike but until then you'll have to stick with being enlightened by the beer....(imagine a beer smilie here, cause I can't get the dam* thing to work!)
Last edited by Motto on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Mine worked when it was sunny and I first got it but not in the freezing weather over christmas. When the garage adjusted it for me it worked fine in the warm of their workshop.

Motto

Post by Motto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 pm

ElegantSpoon wrote:Mine worked when it was sunny and I first got it but not in the freezing weather over christmas. When the garage adjusted it for me it worked fine in the warm of their workshop.
Cheers - I may just wait, the car is under warranty for about another month though so not sure what to do. It's not a simple as returning it to BMW though because it was an independent garage in Sheffield...

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Print off the guide and go see them. They can adjust it for you then :)

Motto

Post by Motto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:47 pm

ElegantSpoon wrote:Print off the guide and go see them. They can adjust it for you then :)
It's not a kick off 300 miles - will wait until I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks and see if the temp has gone up (wishful thinking I know) and check it then.

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:11 pm

Mine doesn't fold right down and clip but it's been sub 3 degC pretty much since I got the car. It just needs a light push down (say 1kg) and it'll clip in though...

I'd like to see a pic of the roof where it folds the wrong way though, because I couldn't see what, if anything, was maybe wrong with the way mine folded :D

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior