Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone Bought A Hud?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:21 am

Thoughts ?
Only UK OEM White Manual
E85 3.0i SE Still Rolling!
Mileage 36,000 Miles

4 x White 3.0i OEM UK E85's Made...
= 2 UK Pre-Facelift / 2 UK Facelift

Yorkie Z

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 am

tomoz4white wrote:Thoughts ?

What the f**k is a hud is my thought...
A Dirty M///

Baadshah

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by Baadshah » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:39 am

Head Up Display
:driving: Black Z4 3.0 :driving:
!!!Everytime I look at it, I can't help smiling!!!

tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:26 am

I have only had the Zed about 6 weeks and going back to a traditional dash / speedo seemed a bit off putting and I have been struggling to keep an eye on my speed - :rofl:

The JCW mini's I have been driving for a couple of years, have digital mph right in front of you so it's easy to keep an eye of the speed you are doing,

Cut along story short there are loads of Hud's on the market, some plug into the car computer to receive the mph, some have glass displays and you then use your smartphone (several apps around and a popular one is the hudglass). The one I opted for after looking last night is pretty simple and uses GPS (didnt fancy plugging into car computer and mph is more accurate anyway using GPS) and it's also a separate unit meaning you can still use your mobile.

It was £23 from ebay. Here is a youtube link of what it does. Of course it's a gadget but I think it is a useful one especially if you have been used to driving modern vehicles with digital mph display. Thoughts guys ?

If you get bored with the unpackaging in the video (I did), move it on to see what it does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvt61TwW0pQ
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by jimbo1958 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 am

While I like the technology I couldn't live with a black box sitting on top of the dash and a sticker on the windscreen.
Be interested to see yours fitted though. Hope it lives up to your expectations. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:53 am

I don't think I will use the sticker in the window - can't imagine it makes that much difference!

It's worth a pop at £23, the other one I found was a simple stand up display unit (which does not project onto the windscreen), but like you Jimbo didnt really want something sticking up on the dash so have decided with the one shown here again:-

http://www.excelvan.com/product-g_28.html,
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by jimbo1958 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:17 am

tomoz4white wrote:I don't think I will use the sticker in the window - can't imagine it makes that much difference!

It's worth a pop at £23, the other one I found was a simple stand up display unit (which does not project onto the windscreen), but like you Jimbo didnt really want something sticking up on the dash so have decided with the one shown here again:-

It's amazing the technology you can buy now for relatively little money.
Do you intend hard wiring or running a wire down to the ciggy socket?
Shame the power socket isn't on the back but guess they cater for most people who'll be running it from the socket.
As you say....worth a punt at that price. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:19 am

tomoz4white wrote:I have only had the Zed about 6 weeks and going back to a traditional dash / speedo seemed a bit off putting and I have been struggling to keep an eye on my speed - :rofl:

The JCW mini's I have been driving for a couple of years, have digital mph right in front of you so it's easy to keep an eye of the speed you are doing,

Cut along story short there are loads of Hud's on the market, some plug into the car computer to receive the mph, some have glass displays and you then use your smartphone (several apps around and a popular one is the hudglass). The one I opted for after looking last night is pretty simple and uses GPS (didnt fancy plugging into car computer and mph is more accurate anyway using GPS) and it's also a separate unit meaning you can still use your mobile.

It was £23 from ebay. Here is a youtube link of what it does. Of course it's a gadget but I think it is a useful one especially if you have been used to driving modern vehicles with digital mph display. Thoughts guys ?

If you get bored with the unpackaging in the video (I did), move it on to see what it does!

Ebay linky?

Mike

tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 am

Ducklakeview wrote:
tomoz4white wrote:I have only had the Zed about 6 weeks and going back to a traditional dash / speedo seemed a bit off putting and I have been struggling to keep an eye on my speed - :rofl:

Ebay linky?

Mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Universa ... RTM2108002
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 am

tomoz4white wrote:
Ebay linky?

Mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Universa ... RTM2108002[/quote]

Ordered :)

I do love a gadget!

Mike

tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:38 am

jimbo1958 wrote:
tomoz4white wrote:I don't think I will use the sticker in the window - can't imagine it makes that much difference!

It's amazing the technology you can buy now for relatively little money.
Do you intend hard wiring or running a wire down to the ciggy socket?
Shame the power socket isn't on the back but guess they cater for most people who'll be running it from the socket.
As you say....worth a punt at that price. :thumbsup:
I will prob just run it from the ciggy point as I have an adapter which caters for 2 usb's and 2 ciggy sockets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sockets-Charg ... SwmLlX6MnL

I was not that keen to plug it into the ecu, hence why I went with the GPS option - prob a second delay? (they call the ECU versions - OBD II Huds - an on board diagnostics plugin - and whilst I am sure it is fine and we can locate the OBD plug in our cars, I just don't feel comfortable plugging in a product from China into a German Car - lol!)

There are loads of products out there - I will not put the reflective sticker on the windscreen as that looks a bit tac so if is not clear, I will just buy a universal car holder for it and have it as a simple display that way!

Tomo
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:39 am

:thumbsup:
Ducklakeview wrote:
tomoz4white wrote:
Ebay linky?

Mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Universa ... RTM2108002
Ordered :)

I do love a gadget!

Mike[/quote]
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 am

The other thing about plugging it into the OBD on the Zed, is where the socket actually is, would be a PITA and I'd be constantly knocking it with my foot getting in and out, AND I would end up snapping the hinged cover off AGAIN, already replaced it once! Will run mine from a spare 5V USB I have in the glovebox.

Mike

tomoz4white

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by tomoz4white » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:56 am

Ducklakeview wrote:The other thing about plugging it into the OBD on the Zed, is where the socket actually is, would be a PITA and I'd be constantly knocking it with my foot getting in and out, AND I would end up snapping the hinged cover off AGAIN, already replaced it once! Will run mine from a spare 5V USB I have in the glovebox.

Mike
I will check if I have one in the glove now ? Standard ?
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

Mister T

Anyone Bought A Hud?

Post by Mister T » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:05 am

Without the sticker you'll get a double image / drop shadow effect on the text.