Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do I tell her ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by patriot66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Chris_D wrote:
NickDE wrote:So, yesterday evening my 12 year old daughter excitedly told me about the BMW she saw on the way to school. Like an i8, but better looking, not electric, proper doors and with a really cool sounding engine. After some questions and some Google image searching we worked out she had spotted a Z4 Coupe. :thumbsup:
So do I tell her now that I am buying a Z4 Coupe (at least I will once I find the right one), or do I save the surprise until a Z4 Coupe takes up residence on our drive ?
Save the surprise. And make sure you record the moment she sees it for the first time for posterity.
My dad did the same when he bought a Lotus Esprit around 1980 and I remember it like yesterday! I was the coolest kid in school with the coolest dad with the coolest car. Then my memories of it were always breaking down, overheating or just not working :lol:
Happy days.
Well LOTUS is an acronym of 'Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious' ! :rofl:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by Chris_D » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:08 pm

patriot66 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
NickDE wrote:So, yesterday evening my 12 year old daughter excitedly told me about the BMW she saw on the way to school. Like an i8, but better looking, not electric, proper doors and with a really cool sounding engine. After some questions and some Google image searching we worked out she had spotted a Z4 Coupe. :thumbsup:
So do I tell her now that I am buying a Z4 Coupe (at least I will once I find the right one), or do I save the surprise until a Z4 Coupe takes up residence on our drive ?
Save the surprise. And make sure you record the moment she sees it for the first time for posterity.
My dad did the same when he bought a Lotus Esprit around 1980 and I remember it like yesterday! I was the coolest kid in school with the coolest dad with the coolest car. Then my memories of it were always breaking down, overheating or just not working :lol:
Happy days.
Well LOTUS is an acronym of 'Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious' ! :rofl:
Hehe good one! Ironically, he still has it and it actually runs well! Hoping i can inherit it one day....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Do I tell her ?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:04 am

coaldust wrote:
Rorybeanbutler wrote:
Steve84N wrote: Probably already seen a fair few and not even noticed them, being more common and all. :fuelfire:
Seeing a roadster is like seeing an mx5 or a ford ka.
seeing the drivers face in a coupe on a gorgeous summers day with my hood down is always a good spot.
Well it is for me, sitting in climate-controlled luxury while the semi-bald Roadster driver struggles with his comb-over in the wind while applying sun-cream or a hat to his bald bit! :lol: :fuelfire:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mattyp

Do I tell her ?

Post by mattyp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:35 am

hi Nick
Which model/spec/colour are you looking for?
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

highway1

Do I tell her ?

Post by highway1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 am

I have a Z4 Coupe but I would swap in an instant for an i8- particularly as its worth about 10 times as much!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by Chris_D » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 am

highway1 wrote:I have a Z4 Coupe but I would swap in an instant for an i8- particularly as its worth about 10 times as much!!
but you'll be kicking yourself 10 times as much when the battery pack fails when its out of warranty and you have to shell out as much as the car for a new one. :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

highway1

Do I tell her ?

Post by highway1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:14 am

Chris_D wrote:
highway1 wrote:I have a Z4 Coupe but I would swap in an instant for an i8- particularly as its worth about 10 times as much!!
but you'll be kicking yourself 10 times as much when the battery pack fails when its out of warranty and you have to shell out as much as the car for a new one. :thumbsup:
True- but, I will sell it on before that and buy the best Z4M!! ( and have many ££££ in the bank!!!)

NickDE

Do I tell her ?

Post by NickDE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:50 pm

mattyp wrote: Which model/spec/colour are you looking for?
Z4 Coupe
Automatic
One of the darker colours (so not white, silver, grey etc)
Sports seats
Heated seats
PDC
No SatNav
No wood trim etc
Light coloured headlining with light coloured seats, or dark headlining with black seats
Up to 60K (miles, not pounds !)
Good condition and service history
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

coaldust

Do I tell her ?

Post by coaldust » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
coaldust wrote:
Rorybeanbutler wrote:
Seeing a roadster is like seeing an mx5 or a ford ka.
seeing the drivers face in a coupe on a gorgeous summers day with my hood down is always a good spot.
Well it is for me, sitting in climate-controlled luxury while the semi-bald Roadster driver struggles with his comb-over in the wind while applying sun-cream or a hat to his bald bit! :lol: :fuelfire:
hehe, i have a good head of hair, and climate control, and the option of a hard top which as clarkson says "some say" looks better than the coupe :)
z4 3.0i Manual

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by RickRob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 am

So no-one has suggested that you spoil a potential surprise for your daughter. And nor am I going to.

Good luck with the search and surprise!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by kis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am

Stark wrote:Surprise her and pick her up from school in it when you get it
This one! :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

ShaunKC

Do I tell her ?

Post by ShaunKC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

I surprised my kids when I bought my Montego Blue Coupe; they were both shocked and dismayed when they realised it hadn't got back seats! (they were only 7 & 5); they wanted to know where they were going to sit? Once they got over the shock, they really loved that car and always wanted to go out in it, particularly when the alternative was a Honda CRV :thumbsdown: . Anyway, I was always searching for a coupe in Sepang Bronze. Eventually, the day came that I found what I thought was the perfect car, and I went to view it. As I left the house, (my kids weren't happy about me selling my current coupe), and my youngest daughter, (9 at the time), shouted after me in disgust, "Well go and buy your dirty brown car then daddy!"

Even to this day, although the both love my current car, (my oldest is determined that when I die, it should be left to her! :? ), they both claim to prefer the previous one in Montego Blue. So the moral of the story? Kids love surprises, but are fickle!! :D

Previous: Z4C 2007 Montego Blue // Current: Z4MC 2008 Sepang Bronze // Instagram: ayorkshirechap

NickDE

Do I tell her ?

Post by NickDE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

RickRob wrote:So no-one has suggested that you spoil a potential surprise for your daughter. And nor am I going to.

Good luck with the search and surprise!
Sorry, I never reported back on this. I got my coupe last November. It was delivered to me one dark evening and i had to rush home from work to meet the driver.
My daughter asked me who the guy outside the house with the cool car was
I told her it was a delivery driver
She asked what he was delivering
I told her my new car
Shocked face
Happy face
Jumping up and down face
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

step_change

Do I tell her ?

Post by step_change » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 pm

My daughter - 10 - loves my E85. One of the reasons I bought it :) (honestly)
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Stu Boy

Do I tell her ?

Post by Stu Boy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Thats super that you made your daughters day, it must have been great to see her excitment :)

But now the time has come and i'm surprised that others haven't commented :poke:

:worthless:

Lets see them then :P
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers