Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best way to dry out wet headlight?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ElegantSpoon

Best way to dry out wet headlight?

Post by ElegantSpoon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Hello :D

I recently fitted a Xenon kit to my Z but I didn't seal around the rubber gland so some water has got into the headlights. Should I just seal the hole now or try and dry it out first. I can't decide which to do. Hmm...

I'm very happy with the Xenon kit if anyone is thinking about upgrading but doesn't want to buy the origional BMW parts :)

Spoony!
BMW Z4 2.2i, 108s, Red Leather! CDV Mod, ZHP Shift Knob, Retro fit ///M Multifunction Steering Wheel, Retro fit Xenons!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Best way to dry out wet headlight?

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Both...

Stop the problem and then dry it out all in one go. If you have to remove them run a hair dryer on them on low temp. if not park it facing the sun with the backs removed

If you leave it and get condensation runs on the inside of the lens you'll never clean them up properly.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

scottyD

Post by scottyD » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I wonder if you could take the headlight units off the car completely, take out the electronics, open up the rubber seals, and stick the entire unit in the oven at a very low temp (100 to 150°F) and "bake" it for an hour or so....

i wouldn't recommend doing that, but just wondering.... :?

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Phil's hair dryer idea worked a treat :) I've just got to re seal them and hopefully they should stay dry. It has made me think about changing them for clear facelift lights... Hmm
BMW Z4 2.2i, 108s, Red Leather! CDV Mod, ZHP Shift Knob, Retro fit ///M Multifunction Steering Wheel, Retro fit Xenons!

hotdog3147

Post by hotdog3147 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:34 pm

This happened to me when I was changing a bulb in cold conditions and couldn't quite get the bulb sited right. Ended up with the lens misting over, so just left the back off and switched the lights on til it all went. Is there much water in or just a little?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:37 pm

ElegantSpoon wrote:Phil's hair dryer idea worked a treat :) I've just got to re seal them and hopefully they should stay dry. It has made me think about changing them for clear facelift lights... Hmm
Don't even think about facelift lights. They are very different and issues to wire them in are a true mare. You need prefacelift with clear indicator lenses, either xenon or halogen, whichever you have.

I have a brand new never used OS Xenon clear indicator unit headlight if you or anyone needs a start to the project :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm

I see so you can get prefacelift with the clear indicators? I really like my smoked headlights but would fancy changing the indicator part to clear. Your modding phil always gets me thinking and spending! Haha :D

hotdog there was only a little bit in one side but a lot more on the other.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:59 pm

ElegantSpoon wrote:I see so you can get prefacelift with the clear indicators? I really like my smoked headlights but would fancy changing the indicator part to clear. Your modding phil always gets me thinking and spending! Haha :D

hotdog there was only a little bit in one side but a lot more on the other.
Yes they were around about 2005 last of the prefacelift but of course are a standard spares item at the dealers.