Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quad Exhaust set up - options discussion

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Quad Exhaust set up - options discussion

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 pm

A long time desire has been to get the Z4 to quad pipes as they just look ‘right’ and probably the last major project I want to do on bodywork.

I grabbed a ///M rear facelift style bumper cover off ebay, so have that and also have a pair of new genuine ///M backboxes in the garage, that I could also use in the project.

Some Basics:
I prefer to keep my prefacelift rear lights if possible. I just like them.
I don’t want to gain or lose performance, nor get a noisy exhaust. I get enough trouble from Mrs CJ for the X5 with it’s Hamann quad pipe cat back system that makes babies cry and me smile everytime it starts up :)

It should be functional as a quad system, so no dummy tips and all must vent to look right.

The research is almost done and I see several options and am interested in input and comment before spending and setting to work with the surgeons knife and Birmingham screwdriver (aka hammer).
In effect the project breaks down 2 separate aspects that can work in any combination - bodywork and exhaust.

I have 2 options for the bodywork:
1) Swap the ///M bumper cover onto mine and have a bodyshop reprofile it to fit the original lights. Lot of profiling, spraying and always a risk of repair cracks emerging in years to come.

This sort of idea - the bumper profiles to the lower edge of the lights:

2) Fit the OEM facelift diffuser to my existing bumper (no idea if it will fit, bit it WILL. I could and would make it) This saves messing with profiling for the lights and avoids a £200 bumper respray. Would need an extra hole cutting for the right side tips. Costs £300 though.

This, but of course on the earlier bumper cover:

Next 2 options for the exhaust:

1) Go for the side T off the existing backbox
Done by FemmeT and others and is in reality a simple conversion, albeit not liked by the custom exhausts shops I’ve spoken to.

A sort of DIY of this style done by many aftermarket suppliers:

2) Fit a split pipe from the centre box /resonator back and incorporate the ///M boxes.

Original rear section of mine

M mid section – almost identical at the kidney and perfect point to ‘T’ into using custom pipe

Rear boxes that would connect to my ‘resonator’ with custom pipes to the back boxes.

Uses OEM backboxes, but needs the battery locating in the boot or perhaps a much smaller battery somewhere – (read expensive with first quote of £500 just to move the box and battery, but I could likely do that myself having taken a good look) for a few quid and parts from for the ///M roadster battery set up from a breaker / dealers, plate over the old void. This is a big consideration on cost, luggage space, but it’s a beautiful solution from a look, performance and gut feeling.

So what do we think of the 4 possible combinations?
Move the battery and use ///M boxes or the cheaper T pipe option?
Go OEM rear ///M bumper cover, or the diffuser?

I’m currently leaning towards move the battery, fit a diffuser on the OEM bumper and use a true twin back box and quad tip set up. It would be unique, which I sort of like.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Herminator

Re: Quad Exhaust set up - options discussion

Post by Herminator » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:11 pm

I like the way you're leaning, not the cheapest but seems to be the best of everything :thumbsup:
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Mike - the central set up does not do it for me and could be really complicated as the diffuser already has a left exit, the ///M bumper twin already established exits and the standard a left too so there would be a lot of fabrication for what IMHO is not very attractive

Cheers Herminator

Any other comments?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:48 pm

Yes a lot of work to make it come together. I prefer the diffuser to the ///M bumper I think.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Bodywork: diffuser for me - fitting the ///M style bumper will just make it look like an ///M model. And I really like your Z4 because it's different, i.e. not an ///M. I think you should go with something individual if you can, purely to keep your Z4 different.

Exhaust: I don't know if I'd like to be buggering around with the boot floor, etc in order to relocate the battery, so splicing into your existing backbox. That all depends if you can get a reasonably equal flow through each set of tips: it's be a poor 2nd best if most of the exhaust gases exit from one side IMO.

Just my thoughts :)
Ally
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Interesting so the feeling is towards the diffuser and proper quad pipes, albeit it the more complicated route

Anyone interested in an ///M bumper???

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:57 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Interesting so the feeling is towards the diffuser and proper quad pipes, albeit it the more complicated route

No, but I'd be interested in the setup you're leaning towards - perhaps some discounts could be made on a group buy. :D
'04 Alpina Roadster S Lux
Sapphire Black / Dream Red

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 pm

JamesF wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Interesting so the feeling is towards the diffuser and proper quad pipes, albeit it the more complicated route

No, but I'd be interested in the setup you're leaning towards - perhaps some discounts could be made on a group buy. :D
Sure - start by telling me anywhere to get 2 difusers for less that £279 (less 10% discount) plus VAT and I'm all ears. :thumbsup:

The rest is of course pioneering so would have to fab a few things myself and local electrician to mess around with theh battery cable length and I guess if I get a local company to do the exhaust pipework. Second one is of course quicker, easier and better

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 pm

I think you should block the bumper off completely and go for either a side exit setup or a snorkel setup - you should have experience of at least one of those :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

czechT698

Post by czechT698 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Me personally I would opt foe the T pipe setup so you dont have to mess around with the battery :)
--./......................\.--
(OO\ (||||) (||||) /OO)
|__|....................|__|
sterling grey 2.5i roadster, black leather, //M Fahrewerk packet, Sport packet, Heated seats, Comfort pack, Xenon and sexy 103s 17" with Pirelli ZeroNero

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:49 pm

mmm-five wrote:I think you should block the bumper off completely and go for either a side exit setup or a snorkel setup - you should have experience of at least one of those :P

Get out of here... :rofl:
I have done a V8 Jeep where I could not find a suitable place for the air intake to I brought it through the panel between bonnet and windscreen and mouted it there in the high pressure zone.

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Cheers Herminator

Any other comments?
The diffuser just looks more purposful. Cleaner and frames the quad exhausts nicely, especially with the colour contrast.
With the exhaust itself, I know you'll not be happy unless it's done properly :thumbsup:
I wonder if you could get a compact battery behind one of the wheel arches, keep the extra lump more out of the way than it is in the M.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Quad Exhaust set up options

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 am

Cheers Pete,
I had been looking at batteries last night and indeed the Odyssey is a neat bit of kit at just 20x16.9x17.3cm for a 1200 cca 42AH and would surely fit behing the rear arch or indeed behind the fronth NS wing and keep the boospace free. Shame I just purchase a new Calcium battery 8 days ago for £100 and the Odyssey is around £180 :thumbsdown:

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 pm

And you don't have any other vehicles to put that nice new battery in... :roll: