Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stubby

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
RayM

Stubby

Post by RayM » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi Guys

I still have the original whippy aerial on my 2003 model which has the early DVD driven business Nav system.

Sorry if the following questions sound stupid, if so I apologise in advance :)

Not sure if its the norm on all models? but mine has what appears to be an insulated wire wrapped around the main aerial, does this provide the signal for the Sat Nav?

Can I change to the stubby type without any issue? Is it a simple unscrew job? and where can I get one?

Cheers.
Porsche 997 Gen 2 Cab - awesome
Melbourne Red 35iS (Gone to a new Home)
3.0 SE E85 Maldives blue (Now gone but not forgotten)
Previous toys:- 2.0 Litre Westy, 993 C4

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm

ur safe as i believe the gps receiver is located somewhere in the mirror housing/centre console area.
swap out that whippy immediately before rickrob gets here with his twopenneth!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Stubby

Post by buzyg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 pm

I've never taken one apart. However I'd make an educated guess that the wire is the Ae and the rest just supports it. I also recall the main Ae is in the boot some where. Hopefully some one can be a little more specific. Neither is any thing to do with the GPS.

RayM

Stubby

Post by RayM » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks Guys, is the swap out a simple unscrew jobby or is there more to it? and where's the best (Cheapest) place to buy? I'm assuming its a genuine BMW part?

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by firebobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:57 pm

RayM wrote:Thanks Guys, is the swap out a simple unscrew jobby or is there more to it? and where's the best (Cheapest) place to buy? I'm assuming its a genuine BMW part?
Yeah and ruin the look of your car, ruin the reception on the radio too...big mistake to join the runt aerial club IMHO :roll:
Don't do it :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:00 pm

firebobby wrote:
RayM wrote:Thanks Guys, is the swap out a simple unscrew jobby or is there more to it? and where's the best (Cheapest) place to buy? I'm assuming its a genuine BMW part?
Yeah and ruin the look of your car, ruin the reception on the radio too...big mistake to join the runt aerial club IMHO :roll:
+1 :poke:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by Ewazix » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Grumpyowl wrote:
firebobby wrote:
+1 :poke:
+2 :poke: :poke:

Worth a read if you are working on the comm's and entertainment http://www.bmwclub.lv/files/12_E85_Communications.pdf :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

DMC63

Stubby

Post by DMC63 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:23 pm

RayM wrote:Hi Guys

I still have the original whippy aerial on my 2003 model which has the early DVD driven business Nav system.

Sorry if the following questions sound stupid, if so I apologise in advance :)

Not sure if its the norm on all models? but mine has what appears to be an insulated wire wrapped around the main aerial, does this provide the signal for the Sat Nav?

Can I change to the stubby type without any issue? Is it a simple unscrew job? and where can I get one?

Cheers.
Keep the whippy if you like to listen to the radio. The stubby looks shite too! (Was that a little strong? I never can tell having been dragged up in Saaaf Lundon). :rofl:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Pastry

Stubby

Post by Pastry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:36 pm

firebobby wrote:
Don't Listen to Fred, he'll have you hanging fluffy dice from from rear view mirror and fitting plywood to your dash given the chance :poke:

A stubby is the way forward. I got an OEM one from a private sale on here but I believe there are aftermarket ones online however, reception is an issue with some of them :thumbsup:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by RickRob » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 pm

The extra wire is piano wire which, if disturbed, will wrap itself around your neck. It was a feature from the Whippy Preservation League to stop people meddling with one of the finest features of the Zed! :lol:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

RayM

Stubby

Post by RayM » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 pm

I used to be indecisive... now I'm not so sure :( :scratchhead:

If I do go down that root can anyone recommend one that works?

sharpyboy

Stubby

Post by sharpyboy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:10 pm

I tried 2 stubbies that didn't work before I went for the Peugeot/Citroen one which worked perfectly and looks like it belongs too.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (211.42 KiB) Viewed 653 times
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by firebobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Pastry wrote:
firebobby wrote:
Don't Listen to Fred, he'll have you hanging fluffy dice from from rear view mirror and fitting plywood to your dash given the chance :poke:

A stubby is the way forward. I got an OEM one from a private sale on here but I believe there are aftermarket ones online however, reception is an issue with some of them :thumbsup:
Oh, I wondered when you would drag your sorry ass into the debate :poke:
How long before your PMing me about coming back into the whippy fold because your reception is crap :P :wink:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by firebobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Pastry wrote:
firebobby wrote:

Oh, I wondered when you would drag your sorry ass into the debate :poke:
How long before your PMing me about coming back into the whippy fold because your reception from the runty is crap :P :wink:
OP, DON'T DO IT, nasty little things belong in the bin :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Stubby

Post by firebobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:30 pm

sharpyboy wrote:I tried 2 stubbies that didn't work before I went for the Peugeot/Citroen one which worked perfectly and looks like it belongs too.

image.jpeg
Looks gay :lol:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981