Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

About to Buy a Z4 - Clutch Question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JoshW

Post by JoshW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:23 pm

One of those things I guess that is hard to tell until the box is out and the clutch inspected. I once had a Honda Civic Type-R that had symptoms that I thought were gearbox related at first but turned out to be a bad clutch in the end. It would be difficult to shift at high RPM, often grinding, then began making funny noises etc. In the end the clutch plate springs were loose,rattling and causing havoc with the clutch/gearchange etc.

Although a Z4 and not a Honda, it may be worth contacting Grinspeed (https://grinspeed.co.uk) if it doesn't get resolved otherwise to see what they could do as the guys there are gearbox wizards

chaweiner

Post by chaweiner » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I did the gearbox oil at 70 k cause I don't have any faith in BMW fluids other than coolant. The redline was an immediate difference. The shifts have been way smoother and that was 30k miles ago. The diff fluid I feel also made quick shifts and shift under speed less harsh. I also removed the drive shaft and added a lubricant that prevent it from clunking. I think there is a tsb about it.

Bottom line of he's stalling and his dealer is stalling then back out and save yourself a lifetime of car trouble. My Z4 has been one of the better made. No broken springs no steering rack problem, really only maintenance stuff.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:55 pm

I'll bear all of those things in mind. Thanks guys. I don't particularly want to give the car back if I can avoid it, as with no issues, it was a good deal! I'm about to start negotiations again now I've finished exams so I'll keep everyone updated!

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:52 pm

3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:Don't think of it as negotiation:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... -my-rights
Oh for sure, he's trying to get me to allow him to take it to christ knows how many garages to rectify the issues, which is what I had tried to do before with no success. When I bought the car I asked where it would be taken in the event of a warranty claim, he said to your nearest BMW dealer.

I live up in Nottingham but the car is at home in Dorset, my rationale is that if the car was safe enough to drive, it would be up here and I'd have to take it to the dealer here, so should not be any different whilst it is in Dorset.

He also seemed to think BMW would diagnose the faults for free, which I told them they wouldn't, sure enough, £108+VAT per hour.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:49 pm

The difficulty is that you have to give the opportunity for them to fix it first. Let them be the guide, if they want it up there they can collect. If not then let them find somewhere local. If they can't fix it take it to BMW and send them the bill :)
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:09 pm

So just a quick update. I agreed to them taking the car back for repair but it's a royal pain in the arse because I live up in Nottingham and the car is down in Dorset so I have to come back to sort it out. The dealer essentially said to me if they can't fix the issues for £250 then they will have to issue me with a refund.

I have decided now I just want a refund because I am not confident they will be able to rectify even half of the issues for that amount without cutting corners. I am waiting to hear today so will let everyone know what happens. Upon return I will also publish a post specific to the car to warn any potential buyers, seeing as the coupe market is pretty small, it's likely someone on here will come across it when it is resold.

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Can appreciate your position as I've just gone through a similar encounter with a Z4C I purchased. I discovered the previous owner had taken out the xenon headlamps and replaced them with normal xenons, making a bad job of the wiring in the process. Thankfully I got a refund out it but it has added one to the avoid list of Z4C's. Hopefully it all works out for yourself

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:44 pm

JoshW wrote:Can appreciate your position as I've just gone through a similar encounter with a Z4C I purchased. I discovered the previous owner had taken out the xenon headlamps and replaced them with normal xenons, making a bad job of the wiring in the process. Thankfully I got a refund out it but it has added one to the avoid list of Z4C's. Hopefully it all works out for yourself
Oh gosh, that sounds like a nightmare as well! But thank you, glad to hear I'm not the only one who has issues with this kind of thing!

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey all. For those who are still following this topic, the ordeal is nearly over. After numerous failed attempts to collect or repair the vehicle, I ended up asking for a refund, a request which was denied by the seller, though I was within my rights to do this. I have just won a landslide victory against him in small claims court. As such the car should be being collected this week in exchange for a refund.

Now I don't want to insult the seller online, but I'd obviously like to make the community aware of this vehicle and this dealer. If anyone could suggest a good way/place to do this, that'd be great!

Either way, that's the Z4 dream over for a second time! :(

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 am

Dealer Feedback section. :wink:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am

Steve84N wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 am Dealer Feedback section. :wink:
Perfect. I will check this out once the car has been collected :)