Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

About to Buy a Z4 - Clutch Question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Hey all! This time last year I was in the market for an e85 until the gearbox in my current car exploded after about 60k miles. Kept hold of it for another year and am about to buy a Z4! (Hopefully!)

The vehicle in question is a 2007 2.5si, had a test drive, which was great, aside from a slight feedback in the steering. It has a full service history and I believe the previous owner knew his Z4s. However, the car has 101k on it on the original clutch, and it's making me a little nervous. This question is always a 'how long is a piece of string' type, but is this anything to worry about? On the drive it felt normal, no slips that I noticed or anything like that.

Obviously it will need changing at some point, but what are people's experiences with Z4 clutches around this mileage? Any input would be great!

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:59 pm

clutch it's a wear and tear item, they go and when it depends totally on the type of driving and the drivers skill.

tbh I wouldn't worry about it, if it's not slipping/engages fine then it's fine.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Buckz wrote:clutch it's a wear and tear item, they go and when it depends totally on the type of driving and the drivers skill.

tbh I wouldn't worry about it, if it's not slipping/engages fine then it's fine.
Of course. Just want to get an idea of a best case scenario where people have taken their clutches past this point :)

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:04 pm

"How long is a piece of string ? " twice of half its length. Some clutches can go at 30000 miles it all depends on the previous driver. At over 100000 miles I suppose it may eventually need to be replaced but a slipping clutch is quite easy to diagnose so you have already checked. Clutch costs vary from £380 to £780 depending on who you use but I would be more concerned about the steering problem you have mentioned.
https://www.clickmechanic.com/price-est ... eplacement

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:08 pm

raymond.harper wrote:"How long is a piece of string ? " twice of half its length. Some clutches can go at 30000 miles it all depends on the previous driver. At over 100000 miles I suppose it may eventually need to be replaced but a slipping clutch is quite easy to diagnose so you have already checked. Clutch costs vary from £380 to £780 depending on who you use but I would be more concerned about the steering problem you have mentioned.
https://www.clickmechanic.com/price-est ... eplacement
I believe the steering issue was due to the MOT advisory of the lower suspension arm bushes, which are being replaced as we speak. They seem like quite a common thing to wear?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:19 pm

propaintballa wrote:Hey all! This time last year I was in the market for an e85 until the gearbox in my current car exploded after about 60k miles. Kept hold of it for another year and am about to buy a Z4! (Hopefully!)

The vehicle in question is a 2007 2.5si, had a test drive, which was great, aside from a slight feedback in the steering. It has a full service history and I believe the previous owner knew his Z4s. However, the car has 101k on it on the original clutch, and it's making me a little nervous. This question is always a 'how long is a piece of string' type, but is this anything to worry about? On the drive it felt normal, no slips that I noticed or anything like that.

Obviously it will need changing at some point, but what are people's experiences with Z4 clutches around this mileage? Any input would be great!
I was on the original clutch and gearbox on my 270k mile e36 coupe (m52tu25) before the car was smacked into and written off. It was as tight and positive as the day i bought it at 20k miles.
Hence, if theyre looked after they will last for ages.
If it feels ok now then it will probably be ok for a long time to come if u dont go all nelson piquet with it.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Chris_D wrote:
propaintballa wrote:Hey all! This time last year I was in the market for an e85 until the gearbox in my current car exploded after about 60k miles. Kept hold of it for another year and am about to buy a Z4! (Hopefully!)

I was on the original clutch and gearbox on my 270k mile e36 coupe (m52tu25) before the car was smacked into and written off. It was as tight and positive as the day i bought it at 20k miles.
If it feels ok now then it will probably be ok for a long time to come if u dont go all nelson piquet with it.
270k on original clutch, thats good to know Chris :)
Mine was perfect at 34k miles when I bought it and so if I continue with my impeccable gear changes I could soar past the 100k mark no problem then :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:34 pm

I'd be more concerned about the steering. If it didn't feel good walk away. A few Z's have had steering problems. Have a quick search on the forum and get an idea what to look for. Also a good buyers guide on here :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Don't forget, with modern cars it could be wear in the DMF rather than the clutch itself that instigates a clutch/flywheel change. I'm not sure how prevalent this is on the Z4 and will obviously vary a bit with the different engine/gearbox combos. However its not unusual to change a clutch these days because the DMF is wornout rather than the clutch, particularly on diesels.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Marlon wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

270k on original clutch, thats good to know Chris :)
Mine was perfect at 34k miles when I bought it and so if I continue with my impeccable gear changes I could soar past the 100k mark no problem then :)
Yep. I always expected to have to replace it at some point but it was still going strong at 270k! I'll never have a car as reliable as Benny again I reckon, he was utterly bombproof! Everything still worked on it too. Only major issue was a requirement fo a new alternator at 180k miles. Snif.

I think driving style is hugely contributory though. I never thrashed it, never 'rode' the clutch and always used the handbrake when in traffic on inclines.

Noticed the slightest bit of slip on the 320d when i was back in the uk recently but have been advised that can happen when not driven for long periods. News to me!

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Chris_D wrote:

Christ! That's pretty impressive! I myself have had cars with 100k+ miles on the original clutch. Thought I'd check on the Z4 front though!
Yorkie Z wrote:I'd be more concerned about the steering. If it didn't feel good walk away. A few Z's have had steering problems. Have a quick search on the forum and get an idea what to look for. Also a good buyers guide on here :thumbsup:
You've got me worried now, whilst I was driving it, I mentioned it to the dealer. Then I saw the advisory for play in the 'lower pin bush' or something to that effect. After looking around a bit I believe they are known as the 'lollipop bushes'? People with similar steering characteristics seem to look to these as the issue.

The best way to describe it is if at speed I semi-briskly move the wheel one way and back to centre, it would then pull the other direction a bit. Felt like bush wear to me, but would be great to have more experienced Z driver's opinions!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 pm

propaintballa wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

Christ! That's pretty impressive! I myself have had cars with 100k+ miles on the original clutch. Thought I'd check on the Z4 front though!
Yorkie Z wrote:I'd be more concerned about the steering. If it didn't feel good walk away. A few Z's have had steering problems. Have a quick search on the forum and get an idea what to look for. Also a good buyers guide on here :thumbsup:
You've got me worried now, whilst I was driving it, I mentioned it to the dealer. Then I saw the advisory for play in the 'lower pin bush' or something to that effect. After looking around a bit I believe they are known as the 'lollipop bushes'? People with similar steering characteristics seem to look to these as the issue.

The best way to describe it is if at speed I semi-briskly move the wheel one way and back to centre, it would then pull the other direction a bit. Felt like bush wear to me, but would be great to have more experienced Z driver's opinions!
Lots of things can contribute to the fidgety steering of the e85 zeds.

Before i put the winter tyres on mine the steering at motorway speeds was very fidgety.
Put the tall profile winters on and the steering is silky smooth at any speed with no torqueyness whatsoever!
Tyres and and wonky/buckled wheels can add to the mix too I understand.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Chris_D wrote:
propaintballa wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

Lots of things can contribute to the fidgety steering of the e85 zeds.

Before i put the winter tyres on mine the steering at motorway speeds was very fidgety.
Put the tall profile winters on and the steering is silky smooth at any speed with no torqueyness whatsoever!
Tyres and and wonky/buckled wheels can add to the mix too I understand.
Interesting. The front tyres were worn more on the inside edge, not sure if this is due to tracking, as a result of the bushes deteriorating or just generally what happens on these cars! Waiting for the dealer to get back to me and then will have to see what happens when/if I go to pick it up!

Also, it is on MV2s and I hear 18" wheels can contribute further to odd steering feelings. Still not sure whether other people's symptoms completely match the ones I experienced though! :headbang:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:14 pm

propaintballa wrote:
Buckz wrote:clutch it's a wear and tear item, they go and when it depends totally on the type of driving and the drivers skill.

Of course. Just want to get an idea of a best case scenario where people have taken their clutches past this point :)
No need to worry about the clutch, my pristine 3litre e89 made it all the way to 19k before it ate it's gearbox :cry:
Nothing to fret about...
(They are normally very tough-don't worry)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:24 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch if it is working fine and not slipping - my E46 is on 95K miles and AFAIK is on the original, my Z4 is on 81K and also on the original AFAIK.

Steering issues like "tram-lining" are often due to worn "lollipops" and bushes, and many on here will say aren't helped by run-flat tyres - so if the rest of the car is up to scratch I wouldn't be too concerned so long as you have something factored into your calculations!

The one you describe sounds good, but if it isn't "the one" I hope you find one that is soon. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black