Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shocks are shot, Bilsteins time?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am

Mittens wrote:Hi,

My front two struts are likely to fail the MoT at the end of January so I'm going to replace them in the new year.
Since the stock ride on the Z4 is often criticised and Bilsteins (on a Z4) often praised, it seems like a no brainer.
I've done my reading so I'm sorry this is retreading a lot of ground, but need a few pointers:

1) I believe I have the sports pack (5 spoke wheels, [sport] button) and so my suspension is lower than standard? dose this mean I need the Bilstein B8s on my springs?

2) I was going to stick with the factory springs since navigating the local manatee-esk speed bumps is already fun enough of a morning commute. Is this sensible, or would I really be better off going to eibach route?

Cheers.
B12 kit will lower the ride 30mm at least and shake your fillings out. Fitted to mine 6 months ago.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:41 pm

If you get the B4 or B6 I'd be interested to know your thoughts on them :)
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:59 pm

People seem to upgrade their top mounts at the same time, is it best to grab the rogue engineering top mounts? Heck while I'm at it are there any other parts of the strut area which should be replaced?

http://www.ca-int.co.uk/single_prod-cHJ ... xNg==.html

Steve84N wrote:http://www.regalautosport.com/shop/Bils ... 20bmw%20z4

My cut is just half your saving. :D
Cheques in the post, I trust the postman will be able to find you solely from your use ID. Cheeky bonus: I don't live far from Southampton.
DMC63 wrote:B12 kit will lower the ride 30mm at least and shake your fillings out. Fitted to mine 6 months ago.
Mark-Z4 wrote:If you get the B4 or B6 I'd be interested to know your thoughts on them :)
I've thrown caution to the wind, and I'm going with the B12s. :driving:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm

I went with the B12 kit (thread here) and sourced through the eBay shop from a German distributer. Unfortunately the €/£ rate was better then, so its not as cost effective now... btw ignore that its in the Alpina section, the B12 kit is common across the E85 chassis (the Alpina being a variant on the 3.0i chassis).

I also replaced the top mounts at the same time - rogue were a good option for the rears :thumbsup: For the fronts it depends on budget, but with adjustables you'll get more ability with the 4-wheel alignment

Regarding ride, I am on 19" with the pro kit, which has lowered the car by about 30mm overall. Its a bit harsher on the crappy Lincolnshire B roads, but no different on major A roads. Road handling ability is vastly improved. Speed bumps (and the repeated lumps for traffic calming) aren't an issue as long as I'm going slower than 30mph; I've not experienced damage on the front spoiler or bottoming-out yet, and no damage to the wheel arches :D
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm

I bought BMW oem new mounts for front and back. Fitted the kit myself and took it to Blackboots and had the 4 wheel laser alignment done. Also fitted an Ali strut brace to the front struts. Car handles nice. All it needs now is the supercharger.

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:41 am

DMC63 wrote:I bought BMW oem new mounts for front and back. Fitted the kit myself and took it to Blackboots and had the 4 wheel laser alignment done. Also fitted an Ali strut brace to the front struts. Car handles nice. All it needs now is the supercharger.
I'm a bit worried that my struts will damage the (apparently thin) top mount area of the chassis.
markeg wrote: I also replaced the top mounts at the same time - rogue were a good option for the rears :thumbsup: For the fronts it depends on budget, but with adjustables you'll get more ability with the 4-wheel alignment

It was your thread that put me onto them :D . I'm looking at uprating the top mounts to prevent damage to the car rather than anything else. It looks like oem and reinforcement plate (link below) comes in at half the price, decisions, decisions..

http://www.elite-d.co.uk/bmw-e36-e46-z3 ... nt-plates/

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:41 am

DMC63 wrote:I bought BMW oem new mounts for front and back. Fitted the kit myself and took it to Blackboots and had the 4 wheel laser alignment done. Also fitted an Ali strut brace to the front struts. Car handles nice. All it needs now is the supercharger.
I'm a bit worried that my struts will damage the (apparently thin) top mount area of the chassis.
markeg wrote: I also replaced the top mounts at the same time - rogue were a good option for the rears :thumbsup: For the fronts it depends on budget, but with adjustables you'll get more ability with the 4-wheel alignment

It was your thread that put me onto them :D . I'm looking at uprating the top mounts to prevent damage to the car rather than anything else. It looks like oem and reinforcement plate (link below) comes in at half the price, decisions, decisions..

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 pm

If you run a strut brace you shouldn't need plates as well. I can't get enough thread for the nuts if I ran both. For the rear you may as well put the plates in, I found some on eBay for £10.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:43 am

Mittens wrote:

Strut brace at front, no plates and plates on rears.

This is the strut brace I bought If you buy this strut brace tell DC Perfomance that you need the nuts from Weichers to fit it otherwise you won't have enough thread in the OEM nuts which are currently on the car.
https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1 ... 67034.html
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG (112.68 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
IMG_1740.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG (117.76 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG (170.56 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Right, firstly thanks all for the help picking what to buy.

Secondly, I've finalised on getting Bilstein B12 kit (arriving tomorrow) and new OEM top-mounts (I'm going slow and steady with changes to the ride).

I'll try and get up a before and after shot of the car (in profile) for future reference.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi chaps, apologies for the brief diversion of the thread but what's the point in the plates? Surely if it's below the mounting bracket it'll just raise the ride height a little like a lift kit on a 4x4 ?
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:03 am

Front plates do fractionally increase ride height but it stops the strut tower from mushrooming. The rear plates go above the strut tower anyway and are again to stop deformation of the metal skin.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:46 pm

What do people do with/for bump stops? Do I need to get shorter ones, or are they integrated in the B8 shocks?

Ed Doe wrote:Hi chaps, apologies for the brief diversion of the thread but what's the point in the plates? Surely if it's below the mounting bracket it'll just raise the ride height a little like a lift kit on a 4x4 ?
As Steve said, it's to stop mushrooming. I found lots of talk about it on 3 series cars, but no much luck finding examples on Z4s, which is good I suppose.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Mittens wrote:What do people do with/for bump stops? Do I need to get shorter ones, or are they integrated in the B8 shocks?
My new bilsteins have them integrated on the front and I'm using new stock ones on the back.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm

As above.

I've not heard of any issues with Z4s so didn't reinforce when I put my B12 kit in.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.