Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shocks are shot, Bilsteins time?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:05 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:There was just general slop but once everything was swapped out it transformed the feel. I made the decision to refresh everything perishable, it's expensive but worth it if you plan on keeping. There's no reason why you couldn't do the arms at a later date though.
Cheers for that Scooba_Steve :thumbsup:

When I'm under the car this weekend I'll maybe just unbolt the wishbones and check the ball/rose joints for play and see if they are all okay. It's like opening a can of worms this suspension stuff :roll:
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

Now sold '03 Sterling grey 2.5 E85 :(

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:10 am

ScoobyR1 wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:There was just general slop but once everything was swapped out it transformed the feel. I made the decision to refresh everything perishable, it's expensive but worth it if you plan on keeping. There's no reason why you couldn't do the arms at a later date though.

When I'm under the car this weekend I'll maybe just unbolt the wishbones and check the ball/rose joints for play and see if they are all okay. It's like opening a can of worms this suspension stuff :roll:
Dont forget the rear trailing arm bushes can upset things as well. You might want to check them while your at it.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 am

MACK wrote:
ScoobyR1 wrote:

Dont forget the rear trailing arm bushes can upset things as well. You might want to check them while your at it.
Ye thanks for that Mack,

I had these changed out shortly after getting the car in January 2015 as they were shot. I see that the Meyle HD Wishbones come fitted with the RTAB already attached, so If I need these I'll go that route. :thumbsup:
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 am

You're right, start digging and it gets expensive! At 10 years+ though it's sort of to be expected.
You can get the wishbones without the lollipops if you already have some which saves a few quid. Think you may have the RTABs confused though.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:You're right, start digging and it gets expensive! At 10 years+ though it's sort of to be expected.
You can get the wishbones without the lollipops if you already have some which saves a few quid. Think you may have the RTABs confused though.
:oops: Yip
Realised after I'd posted what Mack meant, the actual rear "swing arm" bushes on the back of the car! :rofl:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Those are probably the best value handling mod you can do. Makes the rear so much more stable.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:Those are probably the best value handling mod you can do. Makes the rear so much more stable.
:cry: Oh no!

Looks like my "to do" list just got a whole lot bigger :D

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Poly RTABs, £45 :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:09 pm

ScoobyR1 wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:Those are probably the best value handling mod you can do. Makes the rear so much more stable.
:cry: Oh no!

Looks like my "to do" list just got a whole lot bigger :D
That's what this forum does to you! :)
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ScoobyR1

Post by ScoobyR1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:Poly RTABs, £45 :)
Cheers Steve :thumbsup:
Is that Powerflex?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Sure was, from CarPart4Less with performance discount promo. There is debate about them vs OE bushings with limiters, worth a search as I don't want to appear biased :thumbsup:

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:20 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:The arms are solid but the bushings will get tired. Meyle arms have replaceable joints, if you're changing shocks might as well do all the other consumables too. A new topic probably best.
As above, they didn't feel worn until I changed them; the difference in steering precision was stunning after. I had also noticed that with the old wishbones, the top mount positions were very different with equal camber, so suspected the wishbones on their may not have been a good match. I had to review it after and now is almost the same.