Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting Grom USB3...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NickDE

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by NickDE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm

stupot67 wrote:From what you say in your review, the functionality is as per the OEM multi changer
From a music viewpoint, that is exactly what the GROM does. It acts as a CD Multichanger emulator, sitting between your device and the car stereo. It makes the car stereo think it is talking to standard BMW Multichanger. The big advantage is you keep all the steering wheel controls etc.
I have had one in my E46 for the last 5 years, before that had one in a Lexus, Honda and Toyota. Access in the E46 was really easy as the Multichanger is in one of those side compartment things in the boot. The multichanger is still in there, but it's wire is now connected into the GROM which is wedged on top of it along with an old ipod. The GROM also charges the ipod which is now essentially a captive device in the boot which only comes out every few months to add new music. It now acts like the Multichanger, with up to 6 playlists (emulates 6 CDs), just with a shed more music on than 6 CDs can carry. As Steve says it is very reliable, just occasionally the GROM and stereo stop talking to each, then skipping a track, or changing 'CD', or switching off and on sort it out.

Steve - did you use the BMW-T connecting cable ? And how easy is it to get the trim panel covering all the wiring out and back in ?
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 am

Yes I went for the T Cable version as opposed to the one you splice into the back of the headunit. Partly this was because Grom seemed to say it was the only option with nav and partly because that's where I wanted to locate it for the wires in the centre console.

I have a coupe and taking the boot plastics apart is not that easy the first time you do it but thereafter can be done in 15mins. I'd recently learnt how to do it when I changed my suspension. Once you have the side plastics off the carpet covering the bulkhead is just eased out from a groove at the top. I don't know about the roadster.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

NickDE

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by NickDE » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Steve84N wrote:Yes I went for the T Cable version as opposed to the one you splice into the back of the headunit. Partly this was because Grom seemed to say it was the only option with nav and partly because that's where I wanted to locate it for the wires in the centre console.

I have a coupe and taking the boot plastics apart is not that easy the first time you do it but thereafter can be done in 15mins. I'd recently learnt how to do it when I changed my suspension. Once you have the side plastics off the carpet covering the bulkhead is just eased out from a groove at the top. I don't know about the roadster.
Thanks. I'm thinking of going T, as the S looks more complicated to connect ie splicing in wires rather than plug and play. I have a coupe, are there instructions on stripping the boot somewhere ?
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:01 pm

C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

MDUBZ

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by MDUBZ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:24 pm

i've bought a GROM and I'm going to have a go at plugging it in tonight; it looks very straight forward...

1 potential (likely) hurdle: the previous owner installed a 32 pin IPOD connector which i believe replaces the CD changer.. last time i took the head unit out to have a look behind it the wiring was a bloody mess. i'm assuming the cd cables in the back of the head unit were removed for the iPod connector. anyone know how the cd changer cables route from the rear to the front into the dash? it might help me locate them a bit faster for reconnection.
Current: 3.0si E85, Mini JCW , SMAX (3 kids) , Ducati Monster, z1000sx

soundb0y

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by soundb0y » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Also going to fit mine tonight, I bought a bt3 model, any recommendations on where to route the mic?

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 pm

The standard mic is on top of the cowl behind the steering wheel.

As for routing and cables I bought the version that goes in the boot which is much easier. You'll just have to follow Grom's instructions.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

soundb0y

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by soundb0y » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah I've got the boot version but still want to run the mic cable to the front.

Anyway I had a look this afternoon and didn't get very far at all. The pull cord has stopped me pulling the back liner up far at all and I can't find the 2 connectors at all. Are there still 2 spare ones even if I have a CD changer?

MDUBZ

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by MDUBZ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:09 pm

MDUBZ wrote:i've bought a GROM and I'm going to have a go at plugging it in tonight; it looks very straight forward...

1 potential (likely) hurdle: the previous owner installed a 32 pin IPOD connector which i believe replaces the CD changer.. last time i took the head unit out to have a look behind it the wiring was a bloody mess. i'm assuming the cd cables in the back of the head unit were removed for the iPod connector. anyone know how the cd changer cables route from the rear to the front into the dash? it might help me locate them a bit faster for reconnection.
Update.. Carpet removed and grom fitted, after much searching for the cables and cursing. Powers up and i can connect via BT. Into the car and 'no magazine' being displayed in the car: s**t!

Head unit out and to my pleasent suprise very easy to locate alternative white plug which i assume must be the cd player. Swap it out and 'no magazine' :headbang:

Help!!!
Last edited by MDUBZ on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDUBZ

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by MDUBZ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Pics :headbang:

update: I've booked it in to have it looked at, along with MOT which is due this month, tomorrow. The car has also gone into transport mode (ac not working) because the battery went flat as i was dicking around with the stereo for hours and the battery went flat..

MDUBZ

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by MDUBZ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:28 pm

All sorted: took the car in for an MOT, new ARB link and exhaust mount welded back on and took the opportunity to get someone who knew what they were doing to look at it. The iPod connector and the cd changer were both connected (nothing to do with me) and this is why it wasn't working: i wonder if the iPod connector had ever worked?

not sure what the sound quality is like yet. travelling for work the rest of the week so will pick it up on saturday and test it out

soundb0y

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by soundb0y » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Going to have another go messing with this tonight.

As I asked before do I need to unplug the CD changer and use those cables or are there 2 extras?

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:11 pm

You need to unplug the CD changer and use those cables.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

soundb0y

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by soundb0y » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks mate. Lets hope thats achievable without pulling anything else apart!

soundb0y

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by soundb0y » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Doesnt look like I can disconnect it without removing all the trim and taking the changer out? Is this the case or is it achievable from the rear?

EDIT Ok I can see a bit more what I'm looking at now I've disconnected the cord and can hold the carpet out the way. Looks like only one of the cables is plugged into the charger, no sign of the other one at all.

Will upload a pic, the cables going off to the right behind and in front of the metal are not movable so don't think it can be either of those.
20170221_185556.jpg
20170221_185556.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 1013 times