Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED Reverse Lights - any links to buy them online

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:32 pm

LED reverse light arrived today, will fit tomorrow and report back hopefully with photos over the weekend of the standard bulb illumination and LED replacement
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Sky-drive wrote:LED reverse light arrived today, will fit tomorrow and report back hopefully with photos over the weekend of the standard bulb illumination and LED replacement
What type did u get?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:No one can say they didn't see you reversing!

I had a set of CREE and while very bright, they just projected the light of one thousand suns horizontally with little useful illumination close to the car.

Shouldn't be a problem for me as I back in my drive along a fence to the side and rear so will light up the fence enough for me to see it :)

Hopefully anyway :rofl:

Rally

Post by Rally » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:16 am

Watching with interest and waiting for feedback I have to reverse park very close to a kerb and would love more light.
Imola z4mr, carbon graphite ispiri FFR-6, mpss, gruppem, kw v3, oe strutbrace, aero skirts, schmiedmann carbon splitter, bcs exhaust, dice media, gaptech, F10 zhp & smiles every journey.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

JINGLE wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:No one can say they didn't see you reversing!

I had a set of CREE and while very bright, they just projected the light of one thousand suns horizontally with little useful illumination close to the car.

Shouldn't be a problem for me as I back in my drive along a fence to the side and rear so will light up the fence enough for me to see it :)

Hopefully anyway :rofl:
I find it OK as reverse in to unlit garage, an try to keep close on passenger side
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Sky-drive wrote:LED reverse light arrived today, will fit tomorrow and report back hopefully with photos over the weekend of the standard bulb illumination and LED replacement
What type did u get?
As per a previous post on this thread:

on Amazon search this: sourcingmap® Vehicle Car 1156 BA15S 30W White 6LEDs Turn Reverse Light Lamp Bulb

Removed the original reverse bulb and plugged in the LED light this afternoon ... and blimey its well bright!!!! Certainly the light of a thousand suns but not cheap: £13.68 + delivery ...
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Sky-drive wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
What type did u get?
As per a previous post on this thread:

on Amazon search this: sourcingmap® Vehicle Car 1156 BA15S 30W White 6LEDs Turn Reverse Light Lamp Bulb

Removed the original reverse bulb and plugged in the LED light this afternoon ... and blimey its well bright!!!! Certainly the light of a thousand suns but not cheap: £13.68 + delivery ...
Ah right, not too dissimilar to the first set I ordered:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-CREE-XBD-100W ... 2721451981?
bit cheaper at just under 7 quid however
aaAS.JPG
aaAS.JPG (42.3 KiB) Viewed 967 times
do you reckon the aperture in the light housing is big enough to accept the diameter of the second type i ordered?
014956.jpg
014956.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 967 times
diameter at widest part is 20mm.

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 pm

whats the diameter of an old school standard tail light bulb? If its more than 20mm then Im guessing you should be good to go with the 20mm LED.

Noticed the first set you purchased off Ebay aren't suitable for BMW:

"100% Integrated Design, Plug and Play. (Some vehicles may require resistor to stop flickering). The led bulb is not suitable for the Germany Car Without Resistor, for example: BMW, AUDI, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz ect."

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Sky-drive wrote:whats the diameter of an old school standard tail light bulb? If its more than 20mm then Im guessing you should be good to go with the 20mm LED.

Noticed the first set you purchased off Ebay aren't suitable for BMW:

"100% Integrated Design, Plug and Play. (Some vehicles may require resistor to stop flickering). The led bulb is not suitable for the Germany Car Without Resistor, for example: BMW, AUDI, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz ect."
Both sets cheap enough to just suck and see....
if they flicker i'll bang a resistor on it :thumbsup:

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:28 am

So here are some images of the new reverse led bulb ...
Attachments
LED Reverse Light Illumination.JPG
LED Reverse Light Illumination.JPG (62.68 KiB) Viewed 941 times
LED Reverse lamp.JPG
LED Reverse lamp.JPG (19.22 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Sky-drive wrote:So here are some images of the new reverse led bulb ...
Looks good :thumbsup:

A whole plethoraof led's arrived in the post today so popped out to put the reverse one in.
I couldnt remove the halogen bulb from the plastic bulb holder however. The bulb isnt soldered in is it? I thought they were just supposed to pop out?
Didnt want to pull harder for fear of busting the bulb and mashing my fingers on broken glass!
Did u manage to remove ur existing bulb?

G600

Post by G600 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Did you twist the bulb or just pull? They definitely aren't soldered in, assuming it's a pre facelift, I don't know about post as I don't have one.
E85 3.0

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:59 am

G600 wrote:Did you twist the bulb or just pull? They definitely aren't soldered in, assuming it's a pre facelift, I don't know about post as I don't have one.
Mine is a 53 plate E85 - I just took hold of the glass, pushed slightly down and then twisted and rotated out, its a bayonet fitting, my old reverse bulb just twisted very easily and came straight out.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:10 am

yep. push in, twist anticlockwise. but sadly the led ones dont fit the plastic bulb holder. a smidge too wide where it steps out sadly.
might have a go at hacking away at the holder just for shits n giggles. determinedtomakeitfit.com
014956.jpg
014956.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 910 times
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG (29 KiB) Viewed 910 times