Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind deflector.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:23 am

FastInCurves wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
FastInCurves wrote:Go for the windblox wind deflector version, it's the winner.
The oe mesh deflector gives less turbulence than the solid versions, it's why bmw chose the material :thumbsup:
Rob
I wouldn't think so. The mesh windscreens let wind leak through, whereas the sold body windscreens completely block the turbulence.
Then you don't understand how it works, the oe mesh deflector reduces cabin turbulence because it allows a small amount of air through! That's why bmw chose that material.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by firebobby » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:05 am

Smartbear wrote:
FastInCurves wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
The oe mesh deflector gives less turbulence than the solid versions, it's why bmw chose the material :thumbsup:
Rob
I wouldn't think so. The mesh windscreens let wind leak through, whereas the sold body windscreens completely block the turbulence.
Then you don't understand how it works, the oe mesh deflector reduces cabin turbulence because it allows a small amount of air through! That's why bmw chose that material.
Rob
+1 :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 am

firebobby wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
FastInCurves wrote:
Rob
+1 :thumbsup:
+1
And that youtube vid on the windblox site for the e85 is just laughable. Has a solid deflector in place but the side windows open. Bonkers. No wonder that old git doesnt look very impressed / not so talkable. Excrutiating to watch as he's obv coerced into saying things he doesnt really believe. But they still used that vid to promote it. Hhahaha
:lol:
http://www.windblox.com/bmw-z4-2002-200 ... sponseTab4
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by enzed4 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:18 pm

FastInCurves wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
FastInCurves wrote:Go for the windblox wind deflector version, it's the winner.
Rob
I agree with Smartbear. BMW has gone with a mesh design for a reason. Here's a quote from a company that makes (or made) wind deflectors that sums it up better than I can:
"When driving with the roof down low pressure forms inside the car, pressure builds up outside the car as the speed increases. As the high and low pressures try to equalise, turbulence forms. A well designed wind deflector reduces and controls the turbulence by disrupting this process.

The design and materials used to disrupt the turbulent air must be carefully considered. Any attempt to 'stop' rather than disrupt the equalisation process can create turbulence elsewhere.

Deflectors made from solid materials (as opposed to mesh) in an attempt to 'seal' the cabin to prevent drafts from the rear can work well at low speed (30mph or less). As speed increases the equalisation process kicks in, often causing the air to 'eddy' over the driver/ passengers' heads. As speed increases so too does the pressure on the wind deflector structure."

So, the view appears to be that at low speed, a solid deflector is perfectly fine, but at higher speeds it directs the airflow back into the cabin around the arms/feet. The mesh deflectors are designed to allow some airflow back into the cabin (around the neck/shoulders) without the noise/turbulence experienced with the solid deflectors.
As always, it comes down to personal preference, both do a similar job with slightly different results.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport