Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind deflector.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Petervaikimo

Wind deflector.

Post by Petervaikimo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Unfortunately my recent purchase of '05 E85 2.5se came without a Wind Deflector. Does anyone have one lying around or send me on a flying goose chase to obtain one?? :sos: :sos:
Thanx
Triumph Spitfire | MK II | MK IV | Ford Mustang Mach II | MX5 MK I | MX5 MK3.5 | E85 2.5 Roadster |

Wind deflector.

Post by sticky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Petervaikimo wrote:Unfortunately my recent purchase of '05 E85 2.5se came without a Wind Deflector. Does anyone have one lying around or send me on a flying goose chase to obtain one?? :sos: :sos:
Thanx
Breakers, 07544752115

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by Number5 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Check ebay. Theyre usually going from £60 to £100. £80 is a good average.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:03 am

Gumtree
https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-part-acce ... 1207686594

You will need the fixing kit too, unless yours already has them :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

DMC63

Wind deflector.

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 am

Petervaikimo wrote:Unfortunately my recent purchase of '05 E85 2.5se came without a Wind Deflector. Does anyone have one lying around or send me on a flying goose chase to obtain one?? :sos: :sos:
Thanx
Wear a scarf...Where does BMW get these ideas from. They make the car look daft. It's a roadster, wind in your hair..For those who've still got any :rofl:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:17 am

DMC63 wrote:
Thanx
Wear a scarf...Where does BMW get these ideas from. They make the car look daft. It's a roadster, wind in your hair..For those who've still got any :rofl:
So why have you got a hard top now David ??? :poke: :rofl: :rofl:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Wind deflector.

Post by sticky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am

DMC63 wrote:
Thanx
What!!!!!,,, no leather helmet and goggles ??? :poke: :poke: :rofl:

DMC63

Wind deflector.

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:08 am

sticky wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Thanx
Of course, that goes without saying...This ensemble should fit the bill :fuelfire:
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.07.08.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.07.08.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 916 times

DMC63

Wind deflector.

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 pm

firebobby wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Thanx
Ahh, Mr Fred. Good question, and one I shall be glad to answer.

My car is kept outside, like a dog without a kennel. It's also kept in the middle of London. Come the colder and more to the point wetter months of the year the fabric top would be subjected to heavy rain, sleet, and snow(it's snowing today btw, all together now..AAhhhh) that in turn falls through all the pollution, dust and general crap that's in the air. Making for a kinda dirty rain, not acid :) rain. The trees loose their leaves leaving the Z looking like it's been camouflaged. Despite cleaning and sealing the soft-top it would still have all this crap hitting it on a daily basis. The leaves break up and get washed by the rain into the drain holes and so on.

So, the hard top eliminates all the additional cleaning required. But not 'all cleaning'.

I parked under a tree with no leaves on it the other day. Came out of the shop and the tree was full of Starlings that had had a s**t fest all over the Z. :rofl: Little fuckers! I scanned the car park for things to throw at them but nothing to hand except a shopping trolley, but I wasn't going to be able to pitch it that high!

Back home to get the cleaning kit and off to the jet wash before the s**t had time to set :thumbsup:

Obviously the main reason for the hardtop is because it looks really nice :evil: Two cars for the price of one.

As for the 'wind in your hair' or across your baldy comment. That's for the spring / summer / Autumn when the hardie is bagged up and perched on its stand and the pram top is back up, or should I say down. Then it's time for the scarf if the wind gets on your nerves. I enjoy the top down and wind on my shaved swede. I'm sure hair creates drag and takes about 5mph off. I don a scarf if the need be.

I do get that some folks like the wind deflector and that's their enjoyment and I fully respect that choice. Not sure how effective they are as I've never tried one and wouldn't because they look stupid, kinda Dad stylee. Not being a Dad I generally stay away from anything that smacks of 'Dad'. Not to take a swipe at the Dads out there. Someones gotta keep the population topped up with workers to oil the corporate cogs. And I'm sure there's 'some fun' to having a kid or 8 as my mother did. :rofl:

So, to summarize.
1. Hard top in winter, saves lots of hassle cleaning.
2. Soft top down = Roadster, cool, stylish.
3. Wind deflector = I've covered that and already alienated myself from most of the forum members.
4. Scarves = They are your friend and look cool. Providing it's not a 'Dad' scarf. :rofl: Remember, just 'cos you're a Dad it doesn't mean you have to dress and act like one! :fuelfire:

I reckon one of these scarves would suit you Fred :thumbsup: I'd stick with the midnight blue paint job tho', You don't want to attract too much attention.
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.56.19.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.56.19.png (717.99 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm

You could always buy an e89 David and not have to faff around heaving the hard top on/off with the passing seasons. It's built into the e89 as standard, very practical roadsters imho :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 pm

DMC63 wrote:
firebobby wrote:
DMC63 wrote:

So, to summarize.
3. Wind deflector = I've covered that and already alienated myself from most of the forum members.
4. Scarves = They are your friend and look cool. Providing it's not a 'Dad' scarf. :rofl: Remember, just 'cos you're a Dad it doesn't mean you have to dress and act like one! :fuelfire:

I reckon one of these scarves would suit you Fred :thumbsup: I'd stick with the midnight blue paint job tho', You don't want to attract too much attention.
Never mind the scalves David, I quite like the dress, reckon that would go well with the Zed :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Wind deflector.

Post by sticky » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm

DMC63 wrote:
sticky wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Of course, that goes without saying...This ensemble should fit the bill :fuelfire:

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.07.08.png
mmm, are they for sale ?? I would actually wear them :driving:

DMC63

Wind deflector.

Post by DMC63 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

firebobby wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
firebobby wrote:

So, to summarize.

Never mind the scalves David, I quite like the dress, reckon that would go well with the Zed :thumbsup:
It could open up a whole new world Fred :rofl:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Smartbear wrote:You could always buy an e89 David and not have to faff around heaving the hard top on/off with the passing seasons. It's built into the e89 as standard, very practical roadsters imho :P
Rob
...and much heavier Rob... :wink:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Wind deflector.

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Personally I wouldn't be without the wind deflector, especially on long runs as it does an admirable job of curtailing the in-cabin turbulence.
When I picked up my zed it was a beautiful sunny end-of-summer day and I drove it all the way from Nuneaton to Liverpool with the top down. I totally forgot to put it in place at first and only realised when I saw it fixed to the inside of the boot when I stopped for petrol at a motorway services. Installed it, set off and was amazed at the difference!

Ur neck still gets a bit chilly at motorway speeds tho and that's where a scarf, sailing top etc. comes in handy
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.