Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CODING - Is it possible?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by MACK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Just wondering if its possible using coding to

1) activate a digital speedo, had this feature on a few cars and quite like it.

2) activate the dash clock lighting so its stays on whenever the ignition is on or the vehicle is running.

thanks
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by markplant » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Am sure speedo can especially if you have sat nav , can't help with other
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:27 pm

E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by mac27040 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Had a look at the electronic speedo display and from what I remember the system doesn't update quick enough to give you an accurate read out.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Buckz

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Buckz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Tried with Carly on my E86 and digital speedometer is not a doable thing. Quite a few options on other things. I've activated auto lock past 10mph and also audio warning when locking/unlocking

NickDE

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 am

MACK wrote:Just wondering if its possible using coding to

2) activate the dash clock lighting so its stays on whenever the ignition is on or the vehicle is running.

thanks
I think if you set the coding to have your headlights act as daylight running lights, then your dash lighting comes on all the time as well. At least that seems to be what mine does, but haven't really played with the DRL options properly yet.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I have the INPA/NCS Expert software as well as ISTA D/P and was hoping there was someway to get these features up and running with one of these. Already done a few changes in ISTA P, which is dead easy to use (tick some boxes) but this software limits your options to what suits BMW. I was hoping I could do a few more of the things I wanted to do in the older software NCS Expert if possible. I know its more complicated to use and can be "squeaky bum time!" but it does allow you to change so much more. As I don't have Sat Nav there's no point me have an Intravee and to be honest I don't want the expense or hassle.

Interesting point on the running lights Nick, thanks for that. I think that was an option for daylight running lights in ISTA P so that's an easy change to make without the hassle of NCS Expert so going to try that. I hd assumed the DLR option would just turn the headlights on not the dash clocks as well
Last edited by MACK on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:30 pm

I believe the ECE DRL option simply allows you to leave the headlights in Auto and have them come on all the time, or on dipped beam without the lamp warning going off or the sidelights staying on. Could be wrong though as not enabled it and tried.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:I believe the ECE DRL option simply allows you to leave the headlights in Auto and have them come on all the time, or on dipped beam without the lamp warning going off or the sidelights staying on. Could be wrong though as not enabled it and tried.
Yes, just tried this and all it actually does is allow you to leave the headlights switch in position 2 and it turns the exterior lights/dash clocks off for you when you turn the ignition off. Not really what I was hoping for. Oh well back to the drawing board.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I think it's the best you'll be able to manage even with NCS - and it does mean the dash illumination is on all the time. The only other way I can think of would be to run an IGN feed and splice into the interior illumination output at the LCM. Without some way of having it turn off when the external lights come on you'd loose the dimmer function though.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by MACK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:I think it's the best you'll be able to manage even with NCS - and it does mean the dash illumination is on all the time. The only other way I can think of would be to run an IGN feed and splice into the interior illumination output at the LCM. Without some way of having it turn off when the external lights come on you'd loose the dimmer function though.
I am tempted to try this but I am worried I will end up with some unforeseen/unintended fault codes or even worse, damage to the LCM/KOMBI modules
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Number5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Look at this post :-
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68751&p=1010698

This is possibly the answer to the digital Speedo, if you can find one.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:03 pm

MACK wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:I think it's the best you'll be able to manage even with NCS - and it does mean the dash illumination is on all the time. The only other way I can think of would be to run an IGN feed and splice into the interior illumination output at the LCM. Without some way of having it turn off when the external lights come on you'd loose the dimmer function though.
I am tempted to try this but I am worried I will end up with some unforeseen/unintended fault codes or even worse, damage to the LCM/KOMBI modules
A simple changeover switch could do the job. You'd only need to switch if you wanted dimming and I can't see how it would cause any LCM damage.

Marius

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by Marius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:01 pm

MACK wrote:Just wondering if its possible using coding to

1) activate a digital speedo, had this feature on a few cars and quite like it.

thanks
Those two only available on e9x , e89 etc.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

CODING - Is it possible?

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 pm

heres a list i did a year or two ago.

http://www.muga-uk.co.uk/z4/bmwz4e85-86reva.pdf
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics