Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

seat removal risks

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Magicarcher

seat removal risks

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:43 pm

I need to refurbish my seats. I also need to do some wiring changes to the audio system/speakers. It would be convenient to remove my seats and do them indoors and also create more space for me moving around in the cabin.

I have heard others suggest it is best to leave the seats alone for fear of SRS warnings, I have also seen others post that have removed the seats and had warnings, so there must be something in it.

I am trying to understand why this should happen. Any connectors associated with Airbags and/or seatbelt pre-tensioners are classed as safety critical components and should be of the highest quality used in the automotive industry. So I would have expected them to be able to handle a disconnection and reconnection.

Can anyone shed any light on this one.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

seat removal risks

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:50 pm

I've heard owners taking the seats out just to hoover underneath and popping them back with no issues
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

seat removal risks

Post by markplant » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Maybe just have battery disconnected while you do it
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Magicarcher

seat removal risks

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I was thinking of disconnecting the battery, because I struggle to see how the connector being disconnected and reconnected could be an issue unless there is corrosion in it due to water ingress either before it was taken apart, or moisture gets in while the two parts are separated.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Zoomer

seat removal risks

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Ive changed my seats, and not had any issues. Always disconnect the battery beforehand and wait 5-10 mins. I also remove my sat nav DVD before I disconnect battery to make sure it's powered down.

If you have electric seats best to set them at a point where you can remove all of the bolts or remove the front ones before you disconnect the battery, as once the battery s disconnected you can't move them.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

MarcBMWZ4

seat removal risks

Post by MarcBMWZ4 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Ive taken my sets out a few times, just to clean or fix rattles/squeeks. Its really not difficult and i've had no warning lights come on. I did disconnect the battery before disconnecting any wiring though.

maxman

seat removal risks

Post by maxman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Zoomer wrote:Ive changed my seats, and not had any issues. Always disconnect the battery beforehand and wait 5-10 mins. I also remove my sat nav DVD before I disconnect battery to make sure it's powered down.

If you have electric seats best to set them at a point where you can remove all of the bolts or remove the front ones before you disconnect the battery, as once the battery s disconnected you can't move them.
As above set the seats in the high setting.Do nor reconnect the battery with the seats disconnected or you will have the air bag light on

srhutch

seat removal risks

Post by srhutch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Zoomer wrote:Ive changed my seats, and not had any issues. Always disconnect the battery beforehand and wait 5-10 mins. I also remove my sat nav DVD before I disconnect battery to make sure it's powered down.

Easier just to remove all the bolts before disconnecting the battery :wink:

As mentioned then set to highest setting to make disconnecting the look easier.

Magicarcher

seat removal risks

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes they are electric. I'm guessing the seats are pretty heavy and it's best to have the hood down?

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

seat removal risks

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Magicarcher wrote:Yes they are electric. I'm guessing the seats are pretty heavy and it's best to have the hood down?
Very heavy, yes. Hood down, keep your straight back and be super careful not to prang anything with the rails because they have sharp ends.

As above, I've disconnected and removed my seats lots of times. I usually leave the battery disconnected for about 20 mins beforehand.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

goldbcfc

seat removal risks

Post by goldbcfc » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:17 pm

The only problem you will get is the airbag light will come on when you disconnect the harness to connected to seat. You will need to reset it on diagnostic computer.

Ive had my seat out to change the DCT/speed sensor under the seat today. As long as you "unclock" the car first, then put the hood down & windows etc if you want for more clearance lifting the seat out. Then leave the car for 10 mins to sleep. Go back disconnect the harness, take seat out etc. "Do not put the keys in ignition or press any buttons" to wake car whilst doing it. Can also disconnect battery this will reset the ECU anyway asm mentioned but isnt necessary.

Steve84N

seat removal risks

Post by Steve84N » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:00 pm

In a coupe I would advise having the seat on its lowest setting as there isn't much headroom to manoeuvre it out. It's easy to tilt the whole seat assembly back slightly to disconnect the plug.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

goldbcfc

seat removal risks

Post by goldbcfc » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:31 pm

You shouldnt have to tilt the seat really you can unplug the wire harness from the front. If you lift the seat up look under then pull the clip out on the left side the wires pulls out towards you easily. Then like you say put the seat down for smaller frame to remove

csquire4

seat removal risks

Post by csquire4 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:18 pm

2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue