Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do your prepare/fit the hardtop?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Sorry if this is basic question, chap at work has a hard top he can sell me. How do your fit it on? :oops:
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Your car will be ready for it to fit. Just remove the two covers over the locking points, just behind the rear edges of the doors, look in your handbook for a pic.

Mike

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:39 pm

Always wipe down the rubber seal on the hardtop aswell as where it sits on the car before each fitting, otherwise debris can scratch the paintwork

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:Your car will be ready for it to fit. Just remove the two covers over the locking points, just behind the rear edges of the doors, look in your handbook for a pic.

Mike
Your car will need the hardtop preparation which I undertand is an option.
As per Mike's advice and if you have them remove the two plastic covers, 1 either side, to reveal the receptacles for the locking pins on the hardtop.
Don't forget to hook up the window demist cables both sides too and be careful - theyre pretty flimsy affairs - spade connectors ffs!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:16 pm

All UK cars have hardtop preparation as standard so it's a straight fit.
There should be no need to touch the heated rear screen connectors when fitting or removing the hardtop.

Ranski's right - best to make sure the seal is clean and I wax the car panel too to avoid any scratches

If you have an issues fitting or wind noise I can send you fitting and adjustment guides
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:43 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:All UK cars have hardtop preparation as standard so it's a straight fit.
There should be no need to touch the heated rear screen connectors when fitting or removing the hardtop.
This is quite poor and incorrect advice as obviously you need to touch the connectors to er, connect the spades to the receivers and enable the screen demist to work!!

Also, leaving the cables connected on removal of the hardtop will also risk damaging the cables and connectors.

Could some kind soul post the official instructions for the OP as I do not have them to hand.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Chris, there aren't any connectors that you need to touch. The rear screen connects through the locking pins. There is no need to remove the cables from the locks when removing, as they are designed to stay connected to them.

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:Chris, there aren't any connectors that you need to touch. The rear screen connects through the locking pins. There is no need to remove the cables from the locks when removing, as they are designed to stay connected to them.

Mike
Sorry but I beg to differ as my car, a pre-facelift E85 - same as the OP's, has two spade connectors, one on each side, next to the receptacle for the locking pins which have to be connected and disconnected manually.
Can someone back me up here? Or is my car unique??

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks guys... sadly I don't appear to have my book (or service history) anymore, looks like it went walkies at Z fest when the roof was down!!! :evil:
I remember the online spec check saying it has hard top preparation, as all UK cars seem to.

What do you do at the front screen edge to fix/attach it?
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:16 pm

9designs wrote:Thanks guys... sadly I don't appear to have my book (or service history) anymore, looks like it went walkies at Z fest when the roof was down!!! :evil:
I remember the online spec check saying it has hard top preparation, as all UK cars seem to.

What do you do at the front screen edge to fix/attach it?
You need the large tool to lock down the front edge. but i think a normal 5 or 6 mm allen key would suffice.
Many owners, including myself seem to suffer a bit of windnoise from the front leading edge and around the sidewindow. You'll have to do a bit of experimentation to remedy this if you also experience it. the front seal can be augmented with either weatherstrip or as in my case an old bike tyre innertube. the side pins can be adjusted to raise or lower the roof on either side.
what model do you have? as there seems to be some debate about these rear window demist cable connectors.
Can you see spade connectors on your car?

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:Chris, there aren't any connectors that you need to touch. The rear screen connects through the locking pins. There is no need to remove the cables from the locks when removing, as they are designed to stay connected to them.

Mike
Sorry but I beg to differ as my car, a pre-facelift E85 - same as the OP's, has two spade connectors, one on each side, next to the receptacle for the locking pins which have to be connected and disconnected manually.
I actually think in a way you are both right. I have the spade connectors you are talking about and when I lock the hardtop down one connector stays in place and the other one comes off and I have to manually reconnect it in which case I always take that one off first before I lock it down :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

Mike
I actually think in a way you are both right. I have the spade connectors you are talking about and when I lock the hardtop down one connector stays in place and the other one comes off and I have to manually reconnect it in which case I always take that one off first before I lock it down :thumbsup:
It's not an 'automatic' connection though is it? There's definitely a bit of faffing about to be done when manually connecting/reconnecting them....
If you forget to disconnect them before removing the hardtop theyre definitely gonna be susceptible to breaking/snapping! Sh!ty design much?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:29 pm

When I got my hardtop, all I had to do was revive the two covers, drop it on and lock it into place, reverse to remove. No connections at all and my heated rear window worked fine.

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:When I got my hardtop, all I had to do was revive the two covers, drop it on and lock it into place, reverse to remove. No connections at all and my heated rear window worked fine.

Mike
Maybe mine's different then. The cable run from the roof where it emerges to the spade connector are really short and require them to be removed before turning/locking each pin.
ho hum.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:When I got my hardtop, all I had to do was revive the two covers, drop it on and lock it into place, reverse to remove. No connections at all and my heated rear window worked fine.

Mike
Maybe mine's different then. The cable run from the roof where it emerges to the spade connector are really short and require them to be removed before turning/locking each pin.
ho hum.
Mine had enough slack, maybe yours will pull down a bit?

Mike