Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

55mpg!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Twin Turbo

55mpg!

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 pm

thecremeegg wrote:
Mr Tidy wrote:
Twin Turbo wrote: Great MPG - but can you beet 500 miles out of one tank?
No, and I hope I never do! :lol: That was what my previous 123d was for, not my Z!

I'm running on fumes if I manage 400 miles in the Z - I think I get bored too easily. :oops:
400 miles?! I've never seen more than 270?!
I have only achieved 500+ miles out of one tank, twice - and its painful driving style

Sandy

55mpg!

Post by Sandy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:33 am

Good going^^

However*! I always do a full fill and compare miles with litres over the whole tank to get an accurate average. Typically my Z4 2.2's dash MPG over-reads around 8%, ie dash says 35.3, real money it's 32.5MPG. I've calibrated the trip and it's better than 1% error.

My 330 E46s were certainly better on fuel than this one, they would genuinely average mid 30s and go 40+ on a gentle motorway run, this one will show that on the dash, but it's not real!

SonnyA85

55mpg!

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:04 am

I'm lucky to get 270 out of a tank too.

Do you think fuel or non runflats make a huge difference?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

55mpg!

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:16 am

SonnyA85 wrote:I'm lucky to get 270 out of a tank too.

Do you think fuel or non runflats make a huge difference?
Fuel and tyres will be a very marginal gain but inflating tyres a few psi more than spec can help.
Driving style has the biggest influence on fuel economy- feathering the throttle when pootling through town, coasting to a stop in gear, not stepping on the gas when pulling away from lights, no unecessary high revving, changing up just abit higher than sweet spot in order to skip gears - 1st to 3rd to 5th which is easily done in a 3.0. Engine off at lights/train crossing. Aircon off when not needed.
Nice to know these cars are capable of impressive economy if driven carefully as well as being able to hoon it in them!
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Sky-drive

55mpg!

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 am

A run out from Gloucester to just beyond Exeter at lunchtime and then a later return today.

Plenty of hills to contend with (although travelling from Bristol onwards to Devon on the whole always feels like Im going downhill, anyone else get that impression?) so maintained a 60mph average on the M5, set on cruise for most of the drive and slip streamed HGVs/coaches at a safe distance where able to.

No particular rush as it was a Sunday, traffic was surprisingly light for a change and I would have only ended up arriving early at the event I was attending if I had pushed the pedal to the floor ...

44.8mpg out of a 13 year old 2.5 6 cylinder in my book is unbelievable especially when my 4 year old Mercedes E250CDI 4 cylinder estate gets just 9mpg extra at similar speeds
Attachments
44.8mpg.jpg
44.8mpg.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

55mpg!

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 am

Sky-drive wrote:A run out from Gloucester to just beyond Exeter at lunchtime and then a later return today.

Plenty of hills to contend with (although travelling from Bristol onwards to Devon on the whole always feels like Im going downhill, anyone else get that impression?) so maintained a 60mph average on the M5, set on cruise for most of the drive and slip streamed HGVs/coaches at a safe distance where able to.

No particular rush as it was a Sunday, traffic was surprisingly light for a change and I would have only ended up arriving early at the event I was attending if I had pushed the pedal to the floor ...

44.8mpg out of a 13 year old 2.5 6 cylinder in my book is unbelievable especially when my 4 year old Mercedes E250CDI 4 cylinder estate gets just 9mpg extra at similar speeds
nice one :thumbsup:
see....it's the hills...the hills kill it! :D
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

55mpg!

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:52 pm

If you are in "economy mode" in a hilly area - build speed downhill and loose it going uphill !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: