Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Are STVL /STVR modules fitted to an E85 (Euro Spec)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:07 am

Been playing around with my car and have noticed I keep getting a couple of soft fault codes in INPA & ISTA D but not (ISTA P for some reason)
Codes are S 0188 & S 190. No Communication from module.
STVR/L Modules seem to be door satellite modules but I'm not sure they are actually fitted to the E85 as I found a Z4 bus structure diagram on bimmerfest that shipkiller posted and it doesnt mention these modules.

Software wise these modules show on the module tree in ISTA D but not P. I get a "no response from module" in INPA, but that said INPA lets me try to talk to other modules I know aren't fitted such as PDC and SAT Nav so not very conclusive either way.

All in all its left me wondering does the E85 actually have these modules and I have a genuine issue or is my software trying to talk to something that isn't even there and then flagging a fault code.

Any help appreciated
Last edited by MACK on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Are STVL /STVR modules fitted to an E85

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:25 pm

try this: http://repairdata.cnlaunch.com/pdf/2013 ... f7bb0b.pdf

if you mean SBSL or SBSR which are your Airbag satellite modules on the inside of the cill under the carpet behind the seats. Common fault is water ingress from blocked roof drain holes comes inside and runs down damaging the module
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Are STVL /STVR modules fitted to an E85

Post by MACK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:17 pm

mac27040 wrote:try this: http://repairdata.cnlaunch.com/pdf/2013 ... f7bb0b.pdf

if you mean SBSL or SBSR which are your Airbag satellite modules on the inside of the cill under the carpet behind the seats. Common fault is water ingress from blocked roof drain holes comes inside and runs down damaging the module
Thanks,

No I do definitely mean STVL/R which are located in the doors. my SBSL/R Modules check out fine.

I have been doing some digging on this today and think I can now actually answer my own question, at least partially.
According to RealOEM the STVL/R are sensors in the doors (not to be confused with the actual airbag modules in them). However they are not fitted to Euro models just US ones. There are other key differences in the airbag setup on US cars such as two stage airbags and knee airbags.

I then found this document
http://www.bmwclub.lv/files/09_E85_Adv_ ... ronics.pdf

Which describes the STVL/R Modules as "A pressure sensor, which constantly monitors the pressure in the door, is integrated into each door satellite. Pressure changes in the door that occur during penetration of the outer door skin are evaluated and passed on through the SIM for airbag deployment activation."

It also states in the text that it is the SBSL/R and the SIM that actually control the deployment of the airbags. Hence no actual need for the STVL/R on Euro cars. There's also a schematic showing the SIM with SBSL/R and the STVL/R ghosted out and asterixed which I've took to mean the STVL/R are not present on every E85 vehicle.

All in all I have come to the conclusion that the STVL/R pressure sensors must be a component of the two stage airbag system and therefore not fitted/needed/relevant to a Euro spec car like mine. So at least I now know I don't have a couple of fault modules etc as my vehicle never would have had installed in the first place.

Doesn't explain why my copies of INPA/ISTA D think my car actually has these modules and are trying to talk to them, getting nothing back and reporting a "no communication response from module" fault code which I'm now putting down to some sort of software glitch somewhere in INPA/ISTA as if the SIM and /SBSL/R modules genuinely thought they couldn't talk to some modules that should be present I would have an Airbag Light on which I don't have.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:13 pm

just ran my DIS v57 on my car and the STVL / STVR are not highlighted so not on car.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm

mac27040 wrote:just ran my DIS v57 on my car and the STVL / STVR are not highlighted so not on car.
Thanks for checking its reassuring to know . It seems to confirm what is on RealOEM and what I was thinking really, that European cars don't have these modules. They must be necessary for the US larger/more powerful 2 stage airbag system but not required for the European/ROTW single stage system.

Still a bit perturbed that my car is looking for these modules. Doesn't seem to effect anything and I get no airbag lights etc. I hope its just my diagnostic software having a glitch, it would be annoying if it turns out my SIM module may be incorrectly programmed etc.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport