Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
brightonbimmer

Post by brightonbimmer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Sadly, all I have done with the Z4 is think about it, as it sits under its cover in a storage facility two miles from here. I have not seen it since mid November, but I am hoping to resume the love affair in about five weeks. I hope that, like last year, it starts instantly after unplugging the battery tender/trickle charger, as if it had been running moments before.
Current cars: 2013 Honda Civic EX (daily driver, 55,000 KM) + 2003 Mazda MX-5 SE (Titanium Grey, with 22,000 KM) + 2006 BMW M6 (Indianapolis Red Metallic, just turned 67,000 KM)
First sports car was 1963 Morgan 4/4 in 1964.Image

co-pey

Post by co-pey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 am

Jollyjoiner wrote:Washed it and popped the roof down to give it some fresh air

Normally not a fan of aftermarket wheels. Those look badass!
Success is earned and so is failure.

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 am

co-pey wrote:
Jollyjoiner wrote:Washed it and popped the roof down to give it some fresh air

Normally not a fan of aftermarket wheels. Those look badass!

Cheers co-pey
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

co-pey

Post by co-pey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Plasti-dipped the kidneys yesterday black. Was not sure how they would look. Made one hell of a difference! Went from a very weak looking gray to matte black. Matching the lower "grill" portion on the bottom of the bumper.
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (34.49 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:47 pm

So I've had my bodywork inspection for the corrosion warranty. They didn't want to see service history etc but have found some differences in paint thickness. He said he's unsure if it will all be covered but will send off the report to the warranty team anyway. I'll be expecting a call at the end of next week. Fingers crossed.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Roundozo wrote:So I've had my bodywork inspection for the corrosion warranty. They didn't want to see service history etc but have found some differences in paint thickness. He said he's unsure if it will all be covered but will send off the report to the warranty team anyway. I'll be expecting a call at the end of next week. Fingers crossed.
interesting.. I'd expect the thickness to be different simply due to the fact that the car is old and polishing etc is a usual thing. Keep us updated! :) who did you call btw to arrange it?

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Buckz wrote:
Roundozo wrote:So I've had my bodywork inspection for the corrosion warranty. They didn't want to see service history etc but have found some differences in paint thickness. He said he's unsure if it will all be covered but will send off the report to the warranty team anyway. I'll be expecting a call at the end of next week. Fingers crossed.
interesting.. I'd expect the thickness to be different simply due to the fact that the car is old and polishing etc is a usual thing. Keep us updated! :) who did you call btw to arrange it?
The issue is the paint is thicker in some places so it's obviously had some paint on some places during its life.

I just called my local BMW repair centre. They have a unit in Winchester where they do all their repairs. Just gave them a call and booked it in. Two minute job.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Das882

Post by Das882 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Ordered a full set of Eibach springs from Germany to replace the broken one I found the other day.
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Das882 wrote:Ordered a full set of Eibach springs from Germany to replace the broken one I found the other day.
Good choice :thumbsup: it's a straightforward easy job fitting them.
A Dirty M///

Das882

Post by Das882 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:
Das882 wrote:Ordered a full set of Eibach springs from Germany to replace the broken one I found the other day.
I have the rears off already, Ill have to wait until they are refitted before I remove the front as there are not enough places to support the car, the front is on axle stands and the rear is supported on both my trolley jacks at the moment. There isn't anywhere to support the car so I can remove the jacks.
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Das882 wrote:
Yorkie Z wrote:
I have the rears off already, Ill have to wait until they are refitted before I remove the front as there are not enough places to support the car, the front is on axle stands and the rear is supported on both my trolley jacks at the moment. There isn't anywhere to support the car so I can remove the jacks.
As you say it's best to get the rears all fitted before tackling the front. Personally I'd Jack up one side at a time to fit them. Think that way you'll get more height.
A Dirty M///

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:15 pm

installed new springs

swapped both corners on the rear, only one cracked but other was rusty too.

car is booked next week in for a front control arm replacement(couldn't get the arms off on the side of the road so gave up and will pay someone to replace them) and full hunter alignment.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:37 pm

It's been a good day for the Zed today...

Got the Eibach spring set put on after purchasing a set on here that are as good as new (thanks MickM :thumbsup: ). I really wanted to tackle these myself but the car was going in for an inspection 2 so made sense as he only wanted £150 labour. Also had brake fluid changed.

So after that it made sense to give the outside a good clean:
- engine bay detail (finnished with dressing)
- proper good wash and leather
- clay bar
- super resin polish
- extra gloss protection
- exhaust chrome polished
- hd wax.

Time for a well deserved pint. A photo to follow as soon as I've got the bloody wheel cleaner off of my face.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Managed to pick up a bargain Stormworks V1 :D
Just need the rain to go off now so I can try removing the old knob with the roof down!
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

co-pey

Post by co-pey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm

3m Vinyl Wrapped my wood grain. No more looking like a Buick! I chose satin black since it would blend better with the other black parts. Not a fan of carbon fiber either as it would have looked out of place with the tan interior.

I had been saying the wood grain was plastic laminate. Boy was I wrong! It's actual burl wood. When I was removing the dash piece, I chipped a piece off and to my surprise, it was actual wood. I had to glue the chip back on and sand it down so there was no lip. My trim also had a long crazing line in it, so I sanded it flat as my trial piece of vinyl showed the crazing cut.

I also did not have much of a issue with the infamous ring on the dash piece. I looked at it with a mirror and stuck a screw driver under one side of the tab and simply popped it up. This can be done after the vent is removed.

I think I'll write up a little how to on some of the issues that I had.
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG (69.79 KiB) Viewed 961 times