Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

brakelight mod

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sky-drive

brakelight mod

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:27 pm

there is a thread somewhere on the forum which I read briefly a few weeks back explaining how to modify the rear brakelamps on the E85 from a single brakelamp to twin brakelights however I am unable to find the original post using the Search function (if anyone can post a link to that thread then that would be useful :thumbsup: )

Anyhow, decided to have a go at this mod this morning ...

I remembered the instructions in the thread were to bridge Pin 1 and Pin 4 on the lamp plug plugged into the back of the lamp housings. On unplugging the plug from the offside rear lamp cluster I noted that the offside plug uses pin positions 1,2,3,4 & 5 however the nearside plug utilises pin positions 2,3,4,5 & 6. If you look at the plug carefully you can see the moulding has tiny pin numbers stamped into it.

I modded the offside plug first and then mirrored the pin connections on the nearside plug afterwards. If anyone else is considering doing this mod then these are the coloured wires on mine that I connected up with a wire bridge:

Offside Rear Lamp
Pin 1: black/blue
Pin 4: grey/yellow

Nearside Rear Lamp
Pin 6: black/green
Pin 3: grey/purple

V. pleased with the overall result ... might even wake up some early morning myopic dozy drivers behind me!
Rear brakelight mod.jpg
Rear brakelight mod.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Both brakelamps modded.jpg
Both brakelamps modded.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Last edited by Sky-drive on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

chapeau

brakelight mod

Post by chapeau » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Nice mod.
I had the page bookmarked as i intend to do it once the days get warmer.
Is this the one you had seen?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1485
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

brakelight mod

Post by Chris_D » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Not keen on this mod and would suggest it actually increases risk factor as it reduces the light contrast between rear lights and braking lights by virtue that the mod makes the rear lights brighter.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

G600

brakelight mod

Post by G600 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm

It looks so much better after.
If you have access to it you can also code it with the carly app, incase anyone reading this has it.
E85 3.0

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

brakelight mod

Post by MACK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:31 pm

G600 wrote:It looks so much better after.
If you have access to it you can also code it with the carly app, incase anyone reading this has it.
It does look so much better, I've done it on mine. Dead easy tagging a few wires together etc. Its a nice freebie mod and I think the car doesn't look right with only half the circle lit up, almost like a bulb is out.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Sky-drive

brakelight mod

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:00 pm

chapeau wrote:Nice mod.
I had the page bookmarked as i intend to do it once the days get warmer.
Is this the one you had seen?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1485
thanks!

and yes that is the thread I couldn't locate!
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Sky-drive

brakelight mod

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Chris_D wrote:Not keen on this mod and would suggest it actually increases risk factor as it reduces the light contrast between rear lights and braking lights by virtue that the mod makes the rear lights brighter.
Chris, a valid suggestion - Ive uploaded a video to demonstrate contrast between brake lights and tail lights, seems perfectly okay to me, check out:

https://youtu.be/twtjxxoZnOg

andy.c

brakelight mod

Post by andy.c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Ive got the full tail light mod done but only the outer piece of the circle lights up when the
brakes are on, I didnt want the full circle to light up when brakes are on so there is a contrast
and the fact there are so many numptys on the road nowadays some probably wouldn't know the
difference between when brakes are on or not,

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that brake lights can flash as well under heaving braking but
not sure whether that has to be coded in and not sure whether that is on pre or facelift lights?

Sky-drive

brakelight mod

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm

[quote="andy.c"]Ive got the full tail light mod done but only the outer piece of the circle lights up when the
brakes are on, I didnt want the full circle to light up when brakes are on so there is a contrast
and the fact there are so many numptys on the road nowadays some probably wouldn't know the

hopefully the 3rd centre brakelight lit up will also help the motoring public driving behind determine the difference between when brakes are on or off :thumbsup:
Last edited by Sky-drive on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marius

brakelight mod

Post by Marius » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 am

andy.c wrote:Ive got the full tail light mod done but only the outer piece of the circle lights up when the

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that brake lights can flash as well under heaving braking but
not sure whether that has to be coded in and not sure whether that is on pre or facelift lights?
You sound like one of those numptys.

G600

brakelight mod

Post by G600 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:31 pm

The lights get much brighter when the brakes are on, like hundred of thousands of other cars on the road, I don't see the issue :? And the brake force indicator for heavy braking is just both halves of the circle lighting up, just like this mod.
E85 3.0

Marius

brakelight mod

Post by Marius » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:50 pm

G600 wrote:The lights get much brighter when the brakes are on, like hundred of thousands of other cars on the road, I don't see the issue :? And the brake force indicator for heavy braking is just both halves of the circle lighting up, just like this mod.
i programmed mine to blink on heavy braking ,looks even cooler :)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

brakelight mod

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Marius wrote:
G600 wrote:The lights get much brighter when the brakes are on, like hundred of thousands of other cars on the road, I don't see the issue :? And the brake force indicator for heavy braking is just both halves of the circle lighting up, just like this mod.
Was that via NCS? I'd like to do the same but lots of trial and error needed with so many options.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

brakelight mod

Post by Chris_D » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:45 pm

Marius wrote:
Now you sound like a numpty. :roll:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Marius

brakelight mod

Post by Marius » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:
Marius wrote:
Was that via NCS? I'd like to do the same but lots of trial and error needed with so many options.
Yes ncs, called brake force display, you can choose any light to come up and flash when.