Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering Wheel Now Retrimmed and Old School IPod Adapter

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Gav897

Post by Gav897 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Evening all

I regularly read, but rarely post on the forum as I typically have nothing to offer, however, on this occasion I do.

First of all I've been waiting on an 'M' steering wheel for the right price and to be honest, nothing really came up. So I decided to take the plunge and send my wheel to Royal Steering Wheels to be retrimmed and thickness padded out. Well £140 and 2 weeks later I received it back and honestly, I couldn't be happier. The service was great, communication great and finish is fantastic. Well recommended. Photo to follow.

Second, as the winter is passing and I'm prepping the car to come out of the garage, I realised I couldn't stick another summer of CD swapping.

My Zed came with a Dension media adapter and whilst it played an old iPod it wouldn't charge, so I wrote it off. Before removing it and going back to the CD changer this week, I decided to make a last ditch effort for a jukebox solution. I saw a Layen i-charge adapter on Amazon offering the voltage step down required when transitioning to the iPhone 3GS onwards. For £15 it was worth the try and hey presto....it works. I now have an old 16GB iPod nano in the glovebox, working and importantly charging. Photo to follow.

Hope this helps other people that have the same frustrations that I had.
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG (91.18 KiB) Viewed 903 times
IMG_3104.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG (74.42 KiB) Viewed 903 times
Attachments
IMG_3105.PNG
IMG_3105.PNG (158.08 KiB) Viewed 903 times

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:58 pm

You could also buy an mpow bt adapter which sits on top of ur layen adapter in order to enable u to stream tunes via bluetooth.
Been using this method and works a treat for listening to both tunes and radio via phone.
Only caveat for me is that the voltage adapter i'm using throws up a screen on the satnav display which i cant get rid of. No biggy tho.
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 17.jpg
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 17.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 889 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 889 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Easi85

Post by Easi85 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tips and contribution OP. I like.

Has your steering wheel be covered with leather?

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 pm

[quote="Gav897"]

My Zed came with a Dension media adapter and whilst it played an old iPod it wouldn't charge, so I wrote it off. Before removing it and going back to the CD changer this week, I decided to make a last ditch effort for a jukebox solution. I saw a Layen i-charge adapter on Amazon offering the voltage step down required when transitioning to the iPhone 3GS onwards. For £15 it was worth the try and hey presto....it works. I now have an old 16GB iPod nano in the glovebox, working and importantly charging. Photo to follow.

/quote]

Where is this mystery charging point in the glovebox that you speak of? I can't seem to find one. :headbang:

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Chris_D wrote:You could also buy an mpow bt adapter which sits on top of ur layen adapter in order to enable u to stream tunes via bluetooth.
Been using this method and works a treat for listening to both tunes and radio via phone.
Only caveat for me is that the voltage adapter i'm using throws up a screen on the satnav display which i cant get rid of. No biggy tho.
Are you using the Aux connector here? Or something else. Very interested to hear how I can get a BT module that will charge as well as play tunes...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm

idej_jedi wrote:
Chris_D wrote:You could also buy an mpow bt adapter which sits on top of ur layen adapter in order to enable u to stream tunes via bluetooth.
Are you using the Aux connector here? Or something else. Very interested to hear how I can get a BT module that will charge as well as play tunes...
No. My zed came with the ipod prep which is basically just a cable with an i-connector and takes the place of the cd changer.
The voltage stepdown adapter sits on the end of the cable and the mpow bt dongle sits on top of that giving streamability from any bt device.
sounds great.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V0CCAPU/ ... UTF8&psc=1
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 848 times

Gav897

Post by Gav897 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks ChrisD. Only problem I have with a BT adapter is that I have the optional BMW adapter already for the phone function.

EASI85....it's perforated leather on the sides and smooth top and bottom. It's a really nice finish and feels quality.

Jedi...it's a Dension media adapter that plugs into the main connector on the rear of the radio. The Dension cable then feeds into the glovebox.

Hope this helps.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Gav897 wrote:Thanks ChrisD. Only problem I have with a BT adapter is that I have the optional BMW adapter already for the phone function.
I also have the BMW BT phone prep, which works for calling but doesnt work for streaming music to the hifi/headunit.
The Mpow is a device to enable streaming music via BT to the hifi.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Gav897 wrote:Thanks ChrisD. Only problem I have with a BT adapter is that I have the optional BMW adapter already for the phone function.

EASI85....it's perforated leather on the sides and smooth top and bottom. It's a really nice finish and feels quality.

Jedi...it's a Dension media adapter that plugs into the main connector on the rear of the radio. The Dension cable then feeds into the glovebox.

Hope this helps.
Well..you've got me thinking now...I'm wondering if this will do the trick?

http://www.incarconnections.co.uk/bmw-b ... ector.html

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 pm

idej_jedi wrote:

Hope this helps.

I was thinking about getting that one but it wont work with mine as mine has DSP and it's not comaptible.
Intravee and Dension make systems too but theyre a bit of a faff imo. the dongle works fine apart from the weird screen i cant get rid of.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Gav897 wrote:Evening all

I regularly read, but rarely post on the forum as I typically have nothing to offer, however, on this occasion I do.

First of all I've been waiting on an 'M' steering wheel for the right price and to be honest, nothing really came up. So I decided to take the plunge and send my wheel to Royal Steering Wheels to be retrimmed and thickness padded out. Well £140 and 2 weeks later I received it back and honestly, I couldn't be happier. The service was great, communication great and finish is fantastic. Well recommended. Photo to follow.

Second, as the winter is passing and I'm prepping the car to come out of the garage, I realised I couldn't stick another summer of CD swapping.

Hope this helps other people that have the same frustrations that I had. IMG_3103.JPGIMG_3104.JPG
Another excellent job by Royals, looks great, congrats.
Your post did have me confused at first, I thought it was a M Sport steering wheel so couldn't understand why you were trying to hunt one down. Its only at a second glance I noticed the wheel is actually a standard (se) wheel with black trims. Looks good did you refinish them yourself?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Jacks work is first class and he is a top guy. Glad you are happy :thumbsup:
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Chris_D wrote:
idej_jedi wrote:

Hope this helps.

I was thinking about getting that one but it wont work with mine as mine has DSP and it's not comaptible.
Intravee and Dension make systems too but theyre a bit of a faff imo. the dongle works fine apart from the weird screen i cant get rid of.
Sorry if I'm being an idiot (I'm not good with this sort of thing at all) - but where do you plug this end into? If this end goes into the Z then I can do exactly as you've done.
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 21.35.39.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 21.35.39.png (145.3 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 pm

idej_jedi wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
idej_jedi wrote:

Sorry if I'm being an idiot (I'm not good with this sort of thing at all) - but where do you plug this end into? If this end goes into the Z then I can do exactly as you've done.
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 21.35.39.png
That side of the voltage adapter plugs into the female connector on the mpow bt dongle. reference my photo above and it's the component that sits in the middle of that 3 component string.
mpow bt dongle - voltage adapter - bt prep cable

Gav897

Post by Gav897 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi Mack

The trims are just the standard silver/chrome, trick of the dark surroundings. Thanks for the message.