Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Meyle HD control arms and bushes

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
vester86

Post by vester86 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:58 am

i have them on for about 10000 miles now, no complaints at all

Artful-Bodger

Post by Artful-Bodger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Jez_m wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:52 am
Ant wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 pm lol £900 f**k that

i have msport suspension and meylehd bushes and control arms, did control arms,rtabs, powerflex anti roll bushes fitted front/back etc last year

control arms cost me 200 iirc all the bushes etc about another 120 all in, another 120 or so fitting , nowhere near what you're getting quoted
and for a fair bit more than just the front control arms.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-Z4-E8 ... 1247361555

is what went on my 3.0i with msport suspension (got them from that seller as well actually)
I bought these (minus link rods as they were done previously) and fitted at the weekend. My control arms were the original arms and had never been off the car.. wow, they put up some fight! The arms were pretty much fused to the car at the steering knuckle and subframe and required copious amounts of blow torch, angle grider and pry bar to free the arms from the car! :D Satisfying work... but time consuming. Took a few hours to remove the old and literally 30 mins to fit the new ones. Which are very good quality by the way, would def recommend.

End result, front end feels nice and tight again. Steering feel and placement of the car on the road 100 times better. It also fixed the 'wandering' that i was getting from the car over 60mph.
Blowtorch and angle grinder :o , one of these would have saved a lot of hassle for you - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools ... GwodI0ADTA

I did mine last weekend, Meyle HD arms bushes and droplink, the originals were well and truly seized in , I first tried my screw type balljoint separator , the idea is you put compression on the top of the threaded rod then give the upright housing a tap with a hammer to shock it, usually they pop right out, this time however there was no such luck, a 2lb hammer and the fork separator were required for both sides! :x

As you say though, easy to fit the new ones!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools - Colin Chapman

Jez_m

Post by Jez_m » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Artful-Bodger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm
Ant wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 pm lol £900 f**k that

i have msport suspension and meylehd bushes and control arms, did control arms,rtabs, powerflex anti roll bushes fitted front/back etc last year

control arms cost me 200 iirc all the bushes etc about another 120 all in, another 120 or so fitting , nowhere near what you're getting quoted
and for a fair bit more than just the front control arms.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-Z4-E8 ... 1247361555

is what went on my 3.0i with msport suspension (got them from that seller as well actually)
I bought these (minus link rods as they were done previously) and fitted at the weekend. My control arms were the original arms and had never been off the car.. wow, they put up some fight! The arms were pretty much fused to the car at the steering knuckle and subframe and required copious amounts of blow torch, angle grider and pry bar to free the arms from the car! :D Satisfying work... but time consuming. Took a few hours to remove the old and literally 30 mins to fit the new ones. Which are very good quality by the way, would def recommend.

End result, front end feels nice and tight again. Steering feel and placement of the car on the road 100 times better. It also fixed the 'wandering' that i was getting from the car over 60mph.
Blowtorch and angle grinder :o , one of these would have saved a lot of hassle for you - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools ... GwodI0ADTA

I did mine last weekend, Meyle HD arms bushes and droplink, the originals were well and truly seized in , I first tried my screw type balljoint separator , the idea is you put compression on the top of the threaded rod then give the upright housing a tap with a hammer to shock it, usually they pop right out, this time however there was no such luck, a 2lb hammer and the fork separator were required for both sides! :x

I have one of those in the link! Spent about 30 mins smashing it with a steel hammer in to the arm joint. Would not separate until i introduced the heat! :D

The angle grinder was for a seized and threaded bolt. A nightmare to get to.. it was the one that sits on top of the inner subframe mount..

Artful-Bodger

Post by Artful-Bodger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Jez_m wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm
Artful-Bodger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I have one of those in the link! Spent about 30 mins smashing it with a steel hammer in to the arm joint. Would not separate until i introduced the heat! :D

The angle grinder was for a seized and threaded bolt. A nightmare to get to.. it was the one that sits on top of the inner subframe mount..
Aww man, that just turns the whole job into an embuggerance! :(
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools - Colin Chapman