Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hardtops off yet?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
chapeau

Hardtops off yet?

Post by chapeau » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Disca wrote:I had the roof down to and from work yesterday and again on the way in this morning, they should all be off by now! :poke:
I know what you mean. Every sunny day seems wasted with my hardtop on.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by firebobby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:27 pm

My car is back on the road at the beginning of April, so will probably take the roof off then. I did see a top down e85 Z in Henley on T today, it looked gorgeous with 107's on... anyone from here ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

JINGLE

Hardtops off yet?

Post by JINGLE » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Only had my hard top a few weeks and already grown attached to it :oops:

That being said, I'll give it about 2 more weeks before I remove it for some roof down driving :fuelfire:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Mines still on...I just love the way the car looks ! :D Will be claying/mop'ing/polishing and waxing in the next couple of weeks and it's then coming off until the autumn. :driving:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by Darren Slone » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Marlon wrote:I'm thinking I will remove mine when British Summer Time begins on the 26 March :) :driving:
Have to say I've enjoyed the hardtop winter experience.

You car looks Ace Marlon :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by Marlon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Darren Slone wrote:
Marlon wrote:I'm thinking I will remove mine when British Summer Time begins on the 26 March :) :driving:
Have to say I've enjoyed the hardtop winter experience.
You car looks Ace Marlon :thumbsup:
Cheers Darren :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by RickRob » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Just you all make sure that they're off by the end of the month. Marlon was a bit slow to remove his last year, but as soon as he did the weather improved.

Repeating the gist of my post from last year it is a well-known fact that sunshine is produced by bare skin being exposed to the air. This is proved by the fact that the more people who are on a beach, the sunnier it is!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Rally

Hardtops off yet?

Post by Rally » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 am

Hardtop removed a few weeks ago :thumbsup:
IMG_20170313_230557_781.jpg
IMG_20170313_230557_781.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Imola z4mr, carbon graphite ispiri FFR-6, mpss, gruppem, kw v3, oe strutbrace, aero skirts, schmiedmann carbon splitter, bcs exhaust, dice media, gaptech, F10 zhp & smiles every journey.

vester86

Hardtops off yet?

Post by vester86 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 am

Which hardtop??? :rofl:

DMC63

Hardtops off yet?

Post by DMC63 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 am

Chris_D wrote:
Marlon wrote:
Chris_D wrote: You decide on dipping thems a-pillars yet Colin?
Yes - I've ordered Plasti Dip, should arrive today. Just need some dry weather now :)
I'd suggest thoroughly cleaning any wax/polish off so it adheres as best it can. It's going to be in a high airflow area there and will naturally want to resist/pull away. Not wanting to sound pessimistic for you but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. My winter wheels already started to peel away from the valve edge a week after dipping them...
Photo 04-01-2017 16 18 02.jpg
Not sure how you dipped that wheel. I dipped mine last summer and the car lives outside. They've been jetwashed and scrubbed countless times and still as good as the day they were dipped. Same as the grilles, not a blemish.

Roof off 1st May.
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG (56.89 KiB) Viewed 605 times
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

DMC63 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
Marlon wrote:
Yes - I've ordered Plasti Dip, should arrive today. Just need some dry weather now :)
I'd suggest thoroughly cleaning any wax/polish off so it adheres as best it can. It's going to be in a high airflow area there and will naturally want to resist/pull away. Not wanting to sound pessimistic for you but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. My winter wheels already started to peel away from the valve edge a week after dipping them...
Not sure how you dipped that wheel. I dipped mine last summer and the car lives outside. They've been jetwashed and scrubbed countless times and still as good as the day they were dipped. Same as the grilles, not a blemish.

Roof off 1st May.

IMG_1078.JPG
on mine, the initial tear has occurred where the tyre valve intersects with the wheel rim and i think the 90 degree internal radius there has exacerbated the issue. weirdly its on both driver side wheels but not passenger side and i think the temp change as the sun falls on that side had something to do with it. no biggy. theyre coming off soon anyway. car's laid up un-used atm.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

JAD

Hardtops off yet?

Post by JAD » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 am

DMC63 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
Marlon wrote:

Roof off 1st May.
1st of May?! Good God you lot need to appreciate that roof down button far more! Any sunny blue sky day and that button is the first thing I do!

D4dawg

Hardtops off yet?

Post by D4dawg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Rally jingle and Marlon
They do look cool with lids on
Mines dry use only otherwise I'd buy one
As it's back on road end of next week:)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by firebobby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33 am

Chris_D wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Chris_D wrote: I'd suggest thoroughly cleaning any wax/polish off so it adheres as best it can. It's going to be in a high airflow area there and will naturally want to resist/pull away. Not wanting to sound pessimistic for you but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. My winter wheels already started to peel away from the valve edge a week after dipping them...

Roof off 1st May.

IMG_1078.JPG
on mine, the initial tear has occurred where the tyre valve intersects with the wheel rim and i think the 90 degree internal radius there has exacerbated the issue. weirdly its on both driver side wheels but not passenger side and i think the temp change as the sun falls on that side had something to do with it. no biggy. theyre coming off soon anyway. car's laid up un-used atm.
David, as with all the things you do on your car, your wheels were done in the correct manor and that's why they have lasted :) .
Chris, if you google " men who works in the woods, making parts for chairs" or click here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging :P
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Hardtops off yet?

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 am

firebobby wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
DMC63 wrote:

Roof off 1st May.

IMG_1078.JPG
David, as with all the things you do on your car, your wheels were done in the correct manor and that's why they have lasted :) .
Chris, if you google " men who works in the woods, making parts for chairs" or click here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging :P
fred fred fred, now you of all people should realise that men who work in the woods making parts for chairs, also occasionally turn their 'bodging' skills to other useful household items...such as the traditional beheading axe i've been working on.
I'd be awfully grateful if you would allow me to test out the effectiveness of my blade sharpening skills when I visit your humble abode this weekend....
ef7fe1b7f0ad3fdee0457ec50e26ae98.jpg
ef7fe1b7f0ad3fdee0457ec50e26ae98.jpg (19.75 KiB) Viewed 566 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.