Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

update on my zed and bit of advise

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
coaldust

Post by coaldust » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm

thought id post this cause it may help some other owners out.

car has 86k 6 speed 3.0

couple of weeks ago noticed real slow starting, like battery was getting weak, went to halfords "had receipt for battery" from last owner, they run a check battery was great, few days later car failed to start, tuned out to be the starter motor, got a replacement starter "bosch" did not want the cheaper ones.

the speed in which it turns the engine over compared to the old one is incredible.

second tip, since i purchased the car i noticed it felt tired and lacking low end grunt, also even up the rev range the power just seemed like i may aswell have purchased a 2.5 or 2.0, so i knew things needed replacing.

noticed the disa valve was rattling, so purchased the rebuild kit and fitted that, car now idles better, and has much more low end grunt and pulls hard now right up the rev range, id say the power increase was similar to having a turbo car remapped, the worn disa really does affect performance.

next is the vanos seals, after that i expect more performance.

reason i thought id post this is, if you have purchased a used zed with over 50 60k and have no history of disa repair or replacement, do it asap and its like you have a new car.

ciao
z4 3.0i Manual

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 pm

:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Helpful info,and good post :thumbsup:

The can be an issue,and what you have had done seems to be the solution,nice one :)
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:10 am

Disa is on the list for me, read a lot about it and need to inspect it before I go and buy a whole new one/refurb kit.

Not noticed anything wrong with it, like rattling or any performance issues... but it'll give me piece of mind knowing its in tip top condition!

My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

coaldust

Post by coaldust » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 am

kis wrote:Disa is on the list for me, read a lot about it and need to inspect it before I go and buy a whole new one/refurb kit.

Not noticed anything wrong with it, like rattling or any performance issues... but it'll give me piece of mind knowing its in tip top condition!

you can inspect it, but be carefull, even if it looks fine it could still be failing, mine still sprung back into place etc but it was naffed, check for play left to right also. the rebuild kit is expensive but worth every penny, much better design, how bmw should have made it at first lol.

looking forward to replacing the vanos seals aswell as then i think it will have more kick, i cant imagine how many 3.0 zeds are out there that could have such an increase in power if ppl knew to replace these couple of things :).
z4 3.0i Manual

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 am

This is why I love this forum! Little tweaks like these that from the sounds of it, make such a difference, are exactly what non experts like myself need!

coaldust

Post by coaldust » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 am

idej_jedi wrote:This is why I love this forum! Little tweaks like these that from the sounds of it, make such a difference, are exactly what non experts like myself need!
as we own superior cars to most s**t on the road, its my duty to inform fellow zed owners.
z4 3.0i Manual

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 am

coaldust wrote:
kis wrote:Disa is on the list for me, read a lot about it and need to inspect it before I go and buy a whole new one/refurb kit.

you can inspect it, but be carefull, even if it looks fine it could still be failing, mine still sprung back into place etc but it was naffed, check for play left to right also. the rebuild kit is expensive but worth every penny, much better design, how bmw should have made it at first lol.

looking forward to replacing the vanos seals aswell as then i think it will have more kick, i cant imagine how many 3.0 zeds are out there that could have such an increase in power if ppl knew to replace these couple of things :).
Is that what you had then? Play to the left and right?
You gotta link for the rebuild? Cheers :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

coaldust

Post by coaldust » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:11 pm

kis wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 am
coaldust wrote:

Is that what you had then? Play to the left and right?
You gotta link for the rebuild? Cheers :thumbsup:
play left to right yes.
z4 3.0i Manual