Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Please shine a light on my wheel ignorance.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
PeterZed

Post by PeterZed » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 am

Hi everyone , I am thinking of changing my wheels on my E85 3.0 for different BMW ones but keeping existing size and offset . There are quite a few out there for sale but most don't mention the wheelbolts. Do you have to use wheel specific bolts or can I use my existing wheelbolts. Thanks :) :driving:
'05 Sterling Grey manual 3.0, boot spoiler , mud flaps , wind deflector,elec memory seats,bluetooth
,satnav, computer,multi function wheel,folding mirrors.matt black rad grills MV3 wheels , and yes cup holders :-))

rossonr

Post by rossonr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:21 am

From my understanding the existing wheels should work. If you're going for BMW wheels I wouldn't expect a problem
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:24 am

If BMW wheels it should be fine however if you choose a different brand the bolt seats might be different so you'd need to check.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am

Just remember that not all wheels are the same thickness from bolt seat to hub face, so if you chose say a wheel designed for a 4x4 even if it has the same offset, pcd and seat face angle it may need a different bolt.

You'll be just fine 99% of the time as bolts are well threaded and plenty of extra turns beyond what's required to be secure and can be screwed in further to the hub if a thinner wheel is used (ie a skinny steel spare), but you'll just have to check when you get them
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills