Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Storing a car for 2 years

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
beanitos

Post by beanitos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Say in theory I had an overseas job for 2 years but couldn't bear to part with the Zed. Is there a realistic way to store it undriven for that time?

I know ideally it would be with a trustworthy friend/family member who could drive it occasionally but then it will need to be taxed which at £500+ per year is a pain.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | Heated Champagne Leather | Nav | CSLs | Stromung | RPI Intake | Black Grill

biojo

Post by biojo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 pm

if you know some one with a nice big drive way and leave it there, other alternative would be to rent a garage for 40-60 a month

Some places near us hire out shipping containers for you to store things in

beanitos

Post by beanitos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I could find a place to store it. I'm more concerned about it being sat not being used for 2 years.
Surely that can't be good for any car?
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | Heated Champagne Leather | Nav | CSLs | Stromung | RPI Intake | Black Grill

Havard

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Find a secure, dry place. Leave the petrol tank almost empty, take the wheels off and put it on axle stands. It's whether you would insure it for theft that is a question and also whether to put it on a Ctek charger or remove the battery all together.

H.
ImageImage

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 pm

wouldnt worry me tbh..Ive had motorbikes that have stood unused for years with no issues...warm and dry garage mind
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

k31ron

Post by k31ron » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 pm

mr.tourette wrote:wouldnt worry me tbh..Ive had motorbikes that have stood unused for years with no issues...warm and dry garage mind
Agree, its a non issue, tyres might square off if left static and I'd disconnect battery ... that's about it.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

'Overseas job for 2 years' and you couldn't get a trip back home in that time?
Come on OP, fess up you're really bein sent down for a bit of porridge aren't you? lol
Say awoight to Rolf Harris for us :thumbsup: :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

k31ron wrote:
mr.tourette wrote:wouldnt worry me tbh..Ive had motorbikes that have stood unused for years with no issues...warm and dry garage mind
Agree, its a non issue, tyres might square off if left static and I'd disconnect battery ... that's about it.
...but, remember that the car will likely go into 'transit mode' with the battery disconnected for so long, and you'll need to know how to get it out of that mode when you come back to it. See this thread :

viewtopic.php?t=20974

I'd leave it on a CTek charger I think, unless there is any reason why it couldn't be ? Otherwise would a removed battery may well die over two years of no use ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

beanitos

Post by beanitos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks guys

By 'CTek charger' we're talking about a trickle charger right?

I'm 50/50 right now. I could sell at a great price but worried I'll regret it and won't have the chance to buy one again.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Yep, trickle charger. BMWZ4MC stored his for about a year when he went to work in Oz, so may be worth contacting him by PM. If you can afford to keep it then why not ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

beanitos

Post by beanitos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 pm

It's a good point made by Chris_D that I'll be back every 6 months or so. I won't be hanging out with Rolf Harris honest!

I've got 3 months to mull it over as I'm not going until the end of June (if it happens).

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Frankly 2 years is a long time without ever being driven
Def needs to be jacked up and on stands so no load on tyres. They could easily deflate and destroy themselves
Oil must be changed and new filter else the acids will rot the engine
Fuel tank should be full as vapour is explosive and allows the fuel to go stale quickly. add a stabiliser
On a charger - actually dangerous for this length of time, but a CTEK or intelligent should be OK as they will cut off. Trickle charger is not the same. If anything happens to the battery it can dry out and literally explode. Done it on one of my Jeeps and filled the interior with acid..
Handbrake off
Animals and moisture are the big killers so has to be a vented dry garage

If you or someone can take it for a run every 6 months or so, or be prepared for some work to bring it back then that's fine

Don't forget insurance won't be valid. You can get laid up insurance
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: If anything happens to the battery it can dry out and literally explode. Done it on one of my Jeeps and filled the interior with acid..
Can this happen with a battery removed from the car too ? Just out of interest.

beanitos

Post by beanitos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Frankly 2 years is a long time without ever being driven
Def needs to be jacked up and on stands so no load on tyres. They could easily deflate and destroy themselves
Oil must be changed and new filter else the acids will rot the engine
Fuel tank should be full as vapour is explosive and allows the fuel to go stale quickly. add a stabiliser
On a charger - actually dangerous for this length of time, but a CTEK or intelligent should be OK as they will cut off. Trickle charger is not the same. If anything happens to the battery it can dry out and literally explode. Done it on one of my Jeeps and filled the interior with acid..
Handbrake off
Animals and moisture are the big killers so has to be a vented dry garage

If you or someone can take it for a run every 6 months or so, or be prepared for some work to bring it back then that's fine

Don't forget insurance won't be valid. You can get laid up insurance
Thanks for that, sound advice.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Bing wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote: If anything happens to the battery it can dry out and literally explode. Done it on one of my Jeeps and filled the interior with acid..
Can this happen with a battery removed from the car too ? Just out of interest.
Yes - nothing to do with if it's connected to the car or not. If you just keep piling electricity into a battery the outcome isn't pretty. I'm not talking about 24 hours, but weeks and months and in this case years. If you use a sophisticated battery manager (such as CTEK) then it knows what's happening and in effect just maintains at the correct voltage and not trickle charging
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills