Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Falkens or Vreds for smooth steering?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

My zed came shod with Falken ZIEX ZE914 ecorun's 225x40 R18 front and 255x35 R18's rear, mounted on 108's.

The rears are down to the wear-markers so will need to be replaced before they go back on and replace the winter wheels in april/may.

Toying with replacing like-for-like but I've been a Vredestein convert for years now and am really tempted to go for a new set of Vorti's all round.

I've read/heard that the Falkens can help tame the twitchy steering due to the rounder profiles. Is this true?
Before I threw on the winter wheels 225x50 R16 all round the steering was pretty sketchy and nervous and the winter tyres provided the perfect antidote - totally smooth and straight. It was a revelation and allayed my fears that I'd need suspension tweaks. yeah, weird.

Any experience with Vreds or Falkens at the above sizes in determining which are better handling?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Chris_D wrote:
I've read/heard that the Falkens can help tame the twitchy steering due to the rounder profiles. Is this true?

Any experience with Vreds or Falkens at the above sizes in determining which are better handling?
Apparently true about the rounder edge profile and from my experience with Bridgestone, Falken and Goodyear Eagles on the Z4 since I've had it, the Falkens were the most stable. Falkens won't last quite as long and have a softer ride (which suits the e85 IMHO) and don't grip quite as well as the Eagles in the wet but although I'm on Eagles now I still rate the Falken as a good all-round cheaper option and best for stability. Can't comment on Vred's.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 pm

running vortis...great tyre no complaints in any aspect of use, totally stable and grippy wet or dry :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

Apparently true about the rounder edge profile and from my experience with Bridgestone, Falken and Goodyear Eagles on the Z4 since I've had it, the Falkens were the most stable. Falkens won't last quite as long and have a softer ride (which suits the e85 IMHO) and don't grip quite as well as the Eagles in the wet but although I'm on Eagles now I still rate the Falken as a good all-round cheaper option and best for stability. Can't comment on Vred's.
thx. constructive advice :wink: :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:44 pm

mr.tourette wrote:running vortis...great tyre no complaints in any aspect of use, totally stable and grippy wet or dry :thumbsup:
thx. what size/s are you running?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Ewazix wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

Condescending response taken in good humour :wink: 8)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
Ewazix wrote:
Condescending response taken in good humour :wink: 8)
:lol:

Rquick1

Post by Rquick1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 pm

I am running Bridgestone Potenza pole positions. They do track the pavement but they have great grip and last longer than Eagles or Falcons.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Rquick1 wrote:I am running Bridgestone Potenza pole positions. They do track the pavement but they have great grip and last longer than Eagles or Falcons.
thx. and also for gracing this thread with ur first post! :wink: :)
now, before the forum feds arrive, let's see an introduction thread from you with pics plz.... :thumbsup:
edit: sorry second post! lol. i'm still a relative noob and dont know how to read properly :lol:
2nd edit: no wait, this IS ur first post. and I definitely CANNOT read properly :rofl:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Chris_D wrote:
mr.tourette wrote:running vortis...great tyre no complaints in any aspect of use, totally stable and grippy wet or dry :thumbsup:
thx. what size/s are you running?

errrr..standard staggered sizes on 18s which I cant remember off the top of my head :D 225/40 and 255/35 rings a bell
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

my zed was all over the place on falken 453s... the 19" csl reps might have had something to do with it tho ;)

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm

The F1 Asymmetric 3 is much rounder than the 2 if that's what you're after, so much so that the same tyre size is about 2cm less contact width on the road. I've gone to 245/45/18 on the rear and that's been a smoother ride and less understeer. I plan to use 235/40/18 up front next time I change. No experience of Vreds but Falken suck balls in the wet.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Steve84N wrote:The F1 Asymmetric 3 is much rounder than the 2 if that's what you're after, so much so that the same tyre size is about 2cm less contact width on the road. I've gone to 245/45/18 on the rear and that's been a smoother ride and less understeer. I plan to use 235/40/18 up front next time I change. No experience of Vreds but Falken suck balls in the wet.
Wow, 45's on the back? Interesting. I was always under the impression that you had to go lower profile on the back if wider than the fronts. Prob makes for a more comfortable ride?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Steve84N wrote:The F1 Asymmetric 3 is much rounder than the 2 if that's what you're after, so much so that the same tyre size is about 2cm less contact width on the road. I've gone to 245/45/18 on the rear and that's been a smoother ride and less understeer. I plan to use 235/40/18 up front next time I change. No experience of Vreds but Falken suck balls in the wet.
Wow, 45's on the back? Interesting. I was always under the impression that you had to go lower profile on the back if wider than the fronts. Prob makes for a more comfortable ride?
Typo possibly :? 245 40 rear / 235 45 fronts would be more the norm
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm

my two-penneth.

My Z came with dunlops and drove very nicely. I swapped the alloys for ones fitted with Vreds and the ride and directional stability was noticeably worse. Left them on until a week or two ago when I refitted the dunlops onto the 'new ' alloys.

Back to directional stability and a more compliant ride. Bit noisier though.

My choice would be the Dunlops
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!