Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Improving halogen headlamps

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
d3matt

Post by d3matt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 pm

I thought I'd start a new thread, so the How To doesn't get full of chit chat. So following on from this thread, I have today removed my headlights and given the external plastic lens a polish by using the Autoglym headlight restoration kit and also cleaned the internal glass eyeballs with some of the polish from the Autoglym kit. They are all pretty foggy, so I'm expecting it to make a difference.

The Autoglym kit is pretty impressive and works well. The only thing it doesn't come with is any UV sealant, so as I need something promptly, I've ordered this sealant on Amazon for next day delivery.

The H7 bulbs (all four) fitted in my lights were blue ones...
H7bulb.png
H7bulb.png (639.2 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
They had absolutely no markings or branding on them, not even the wattage, so I assume there are some cheapies.

So after reading the AutoExpress bulb review, I've ordered the Ring Xenon130 bulbs as these were rated 2nd in the test. £19.50 a pair on Amazon.
RingXenon130.jpg
RingXenon130.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
I'll let you know the results next when the bulbs arrive early next week. I'm hoping this will result in enough of an improvement and all much easier than going the HID upgrade route.

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Be interested to hear how you get on with the bulbs. I went for osram nightbreakers and noticed a difference over the original bulbs. I am currently playing with raising the height of the lights using the adjusters and that has helped with the distance they projected up the road. I think i can still go higher as i've only done one full turn and may do so just to see what its like.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:41 pm

What is the best way of setting the beam heights/angles correctly? Go to an MoT station or is there a plan/diagram available to adjust against a wall?

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 pm

I installed a HID retrofit kit into my e91 the other week to upgrade from the halogens. It's night and day improvement. The kit was great quality, cheap (£33) and plug and play installation.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

eyup

Post by eyup » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Like many I upgraded the halogens, alternating between Osram Night breakers and Philips Xtreme Visions depending on which is cheaper at the time. Both offer vast improvement over the standard bulbs for the amount of light and throw. However, I always drive with head lights on and definitely suffer increased failure rate. Has become a regularly replaced consumable now I have gotten used to it, minimum every six months.

Anyway, I went for the Ring bulbs this time following the same review. Equally good as the others for light output. Too early to know about longevity.

I moved the adjuster up a lot using the garage door to measure the level in case need to change back for MOT but it's never been mentioned come test time. I drive unlit country roads so necessary evil. Waiting for approved LED headlight bulbs to become available which Auto Express reported were coming but yet to see anything.....
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 pm

d3matt wrote:What is the best way of setting the beam heights/angles correctly? Go to an MoT station or is there a plan/diagram available to adjust against a wall?
I would probaby say an mot station although i think you can print something from the internet and stick it on a flat wall to do something similar. I only adjusted the height by turning the adjusters, i can always wind it back down when mot time comes along but would rather have the extra light at night.
Below are the adjusters and which does each movement:
Z4headlightadjustment.jpg
Z4headlightadjustment.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 983 times
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:21 pm

I used to adjust my lights two complete turns and found this much better than brighter bulbs. Just turned them back two complete turns come mot time.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 pm

chapeau wrote:
d3matt wrote:What is the best way of setting the beam heights/angles correctly? Go to an MoT station or is there a plan/diagram available to adjust against a wall?
I would probaby say an mot station although i think you can print something from the internet and stick it on a flat wall to do something similar. I only adjusted the height by turning the adjusters, i can always wind it back down when mot time comes along but would rather have the extra light at night.
What exactly do the individual adjusters do highlighted in your pick?
Interested in trying this as I do a lot of night driving :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 pm

So are you both saying you adjusted your lights up (on the vertical axis)? Didn't you dazzle other drivers?

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm

d3matt wrote:So are you both saying you adjusted your lights up (on the vertical axis)? Didn't you dazzle other drivers?
Your a BMW driver, you don't need to worry about other people :rofl: :rofl:
A Dirty M///

vester86

Post by vester86 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:48 pm

i replaced my halogens with some LED bulbs in the same housing. more light output but no hassle with the ballast you normally get with a Xenon lamp. very happy with the results.

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 pm

So to be clear which adjuster do you turn to raise light beam and which way do you turn it :?
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 pm

sw4nny wrote:
chapeau wrote:
The vertical adjuster raises/lowers the beam. The horizontal i haven't used but assume it moves it left/right.
A lot of my driving is at night and on unlit roads as well and is why i was keen to find ways of improving from the standard candles without doing any modifying. I'm happy so far but may try the extra 1 turn srhutch mentioned.
I've had no issues with dazzling drivers so far and can always use the internal wheel to scroll them down if it becomes an issue on busier roads.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm

chapeau wrote:
sw4nny wrote:
chapeau wrote:
Cheers,didn't notice when I first looked at the pic that you had labeled them :oops:
Note to self must get a phone with a bigger screen or start wearing my glasses more :D
The vertical adjuster raises/lowers the beam. The horizontal i haven't used but assume it moves it left/right.
A lot of my driving is at night and on unlit roads as well and is why i was keen to find ways of improving from the standard candles without doing any modifying. I'm happy so far but may try the extra 1 turn srhutch mentioned.
I've had no issues with dazzling drivers so far and can always use the internal wheel to scroll them down if it becomes an issue on busier roads.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:21 pm

I have now tried driving at night since cleaning/refurbishing the headlamps and the difference was quite noticeable. In fact I'd say the light output was now quite acceptable.

However, the Ring Xenon 130 bulbs have now turned up, so I've fitted them today. Too soon to see how they are in the dark, but here's my initial observations.

Dipped beam.
On the left is the unknown blue bulbs fitted to my car by the previous owner. On the right is the new Ring Xenon130 bulb.
Z4x130a.jpg
Z4x130a.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 863 times
Main beam.
Even on this sunny day, its quite clear the Ring bulbs are producing a lot more light. However, what surprised me is how yellow they are. They are 3700K. The previous blue bulbs are much whiter and must be daylight 6000K bulbs.
z4x130b.jpg
z4x130b.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 863 times
I'll report back when tried them at night.