Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Black marks on Alloys?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MrRenF

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by MrRenF » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Fellow Z'd

This may be more of a detailing question but I thought I would start here as I always get good advise from you guys.

Todays problem relates to annoying marks Ive found on my wheel after the first wash of the year. At first I thought they were tar marks so I ordered some Auto Finesse OliTARate expecting to lift the marks right off easily enough. Sadly no joy! ObliTARate didn't touch the marks. My normal Iron Out didn't have any impact either unsurprisingly!

So Im hoping someone might have some suggestions as to what I could try and use to remove the marks or whether Im going to have to look at full on reconditioning to get rid of them.

Cheers All

Ren
Black Marks on Alloys
Black Marks on Alloys
IMG_1400.jpg (56.68 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Z4 2.5 Sport SE auto | 2004 | Gunmetal Grey | Drop the top and go!!

ekimj10

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by ekimj10 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Is the problem just on one wheel or on others ?
I looks like tar picked up from the road but it's usually quite easy to remove with white spirit or the stuff you have already tried.
Have you had the wheel (s) off to see extent of the damage?
If it turns out to be tar I've had problems leaving a stain mark which needed polishing out. Not much help I'm afraid but good luck with it.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Steve84N

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by Steve84N » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:51 pm

That's burnt on brake dust not tar. I'm willing to bet you don't have the same problem on the back where the heat is less. Not sure how you get it off, normally I've only experienced it when the wheel paint is too worn and it gets embedded.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Geezah

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by Geezah » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Clay bar?
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

JAD

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by JAD » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Geezah wrote:Clay bar?
Would do exactly what touchless products do but harsher.

As has been suggested above, it's either oil/tar that has been thrown up by the road or contamination from brake dust. I'd suggest that due to the way in which it has marked, it's something thrown up by the road.

I have to admit, I find TarX to be mildly less effective than Tardis, so would point you in that direction first. Followed up by IronX (paste if necessary).

JAD

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by JAD » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm

@OP in retrospect having looked at the photo more closely, it looks like baked on brake dust. Take no offence from this, but your wheels really need a refurb. Obvious signs of lacquer peel, chips, and general degradation of the paint surface, meaning even if well protected they will not come up well after use.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by patriot66 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm

That's definitely accumulated brake dust. This will get it off : Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141522881066
Remove each wheel, spray on the acid, work it in with a brush and pressure wash it off. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

JAD

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by JAD » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:44 pm

patriot66 wrote:That's definitely accumulated brake dust. This will get it off : Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141522881066
Remove each wheel, spray on the acid, work it in with a brush and pressure wash it off. :thumbsup:
As well as get under the already loose paint and see the true end of the alloy wheel finish :cry:

csquire4

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by csquire4 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I use clay bar or WD40 for the tricky black stuff. It looks pretty burnt on so will take some elbow grease.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by patriot66 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm

JAD wrote:
patriot66 wrote:That's definitely accumulated brake dust. This will get it off : Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141522881066
As well as get under the already loose paint and see the true end of the alloy wheel finish :cry:
The acid wheel cleaner won't remove the paint even if it is loose. However, the pressure washer may. Obviously some discretion is advised. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

MrRenF

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by MrRenF » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 am

Cheers guys, some good suggestions as always. I had a quick call with a refurb business and they were giving an initial estimate of £90 per wheel.

There are similar marks on all wheels but the front wheels are by far the worst which would back up the argument that its burnt on brake dust.

Once Ive decided how to move forward or if I find out any more I'll get back to you all and let you know how it pans out.

Thanks again

Ren
Z4 2.5 Sport SE auto | 2004 | Gunmetal Grey | Drop the top and go!!

JAD

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by JAD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 am

patriot66 wrote:
JAD wrote:
The acid wheel cleaner won't remove the paint even if it is loose. However, the pressure washer may. Obviously some discretion is advised. :thumbsup:
It will dull it, unfortunately, and will also get under the paint due to the current imperfections. Fine to get them looking better for a while but being acid, it will eventually eat away at the finish (not that the finish is brilliant!).

JAD

Black marks on Alloys?

Post by JAD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 am

MrRenF wrote:Cheers guys, some good suggestions as always. I had a quick call with a refurb business and they were giving an initial estimate of £90 per wheel.

There are similar marks on all wheels but the front wheels are by far the worst which would back up the argument that its burnt on brake dust.

Once Ive decided how to move forward or if I find out any more I'll get back to you all and let you know how it pans out.

Thanks again

Ren
That sounds rather expensive... I would suggest getting quotes elsewhere, or finding a local powder coat company. City Powder Coaters in Birmingham used to be able to do sets of wheels for £20 a wheel + £5/10 if they had tyres on.