Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Moving roof motor

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
sw4nny

Moving roof motor

Post by sw4nny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am

Marius wrote:
ekimj10 wrote:Seems like a no-brainer to get someone to do it for you. I suspect it's not that easy.
it's actually very easy ,hour tops even if you never done it before .
What a load of bollocks,it would never take just an hour to get it right,
I was a novice when I attempted it and I was in the boot for the best part of 6 hours yes it works now but this doesn't even include resurrection of the motor. :roll:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Moving roof motor

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 am

sw4nny wrote:
Marius wrote:
ekimj10 wrote:Seems like a no-brainer to get someone to do it for you. I suspect it's not that easy.
I was a novice when I attempted it and I was in the boot for the best part of 6 hours yes it works now but this doesn't even include resurrection of the motor. :roll:
When I did mine last year, it took me around 3 or 4 hours, as was trial and error, and I was cautious about catching or damaging a hose or the hall sensor that is just in front of the motor housing whilst levering away.

I've done a few now :) And I can easily do it in less than an hour, depends how much chatting I do with the owner :D That is doing it "right" and making sure all the hoses and bowden cable are safely clipped out of harm's way.

I can go from opening the boot to having the motor out of it's casing and in the boot in around 15 mins, according to the stopwatch. Once you know how it all comes apart, AND where to safely and effectively apply leverage, they literally fly out.

Resurrecting the motor can take from an 10 mins to 30 or so if it needs to be stripped down.

Having the carpet pieces ready cut also saves time.

Mike

Usel

Moving roof motor

Post by Usel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 am

I live near Norwich and need mine doing if anyone's local.

I am happy to wait as mine works no problem incase others want theirs doing aswell to make it worth someone travelling to the area.

At an hour a pop you could easily do 8 in a day :D

Marius

Moving roof motor

Post by Marius » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

sw4nny wrote:
Marius wrote:
did mine in 30min , that's was first time for me took me longer to make cover :lol:

sw4nny

Moving roof motor

Post by sw4nny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am

Marius wrote:
sw4nny wrote:
Marius wrote:
did mine in 30min , that's was first time for me took me longer to make cover :lol:
Marius I do like your style,I welcome you are special,the skills you have are legendary
Last year I went on holiday to Tenerife,
I assume you have visited Elevenreef.
Thanks for your humour
Why do I miss el taco so much

Sharpy1975

Moving roof motor

Post by Sharpy1975 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:59 am

si-forks wrote:
Sharpy1975 wrote:Based in Worcester.

What sort of cost is involved? I would try it myself but I will break something, including bones!

I can't wait to pick the car up........stunning 3.0 SE(auto), 48k with lots of extra's.
I'm also a Worcester lad :thumbsup: what part of the city are you, ( without giving away your address) I'm also thinking of getting my motor moved into the boot maybe we could get a discount for two :lol:
Droitwich mate.....maybe you should give it a go and then do mine - lol. I'm thinking of having a go myself.....if I fail I can take someone's offer up on here :)

sw4nny

Moving roof motor

Post by sw4nny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am

Ducklakeview wrote:
sw4nny wrote:
Marius wrote:
When I did mine last year, it took me around 3 or 4 hours, as was trial and error, and I was cautious about catching or damaging a hose or the hall sensor that is just in front of the motor housing whilst levering away.

I've done a few now :) And I can easily do it in less than an hour, depends how much chatting I do with the owner :D That is doing it "right" and making sure all the hoses and bowden cable are safely clipped out of harm's way.

I can go from opening the boot to having the motor out of it's casing and in the boot in around 15 mins, according to the stopwatch. Once you know how it all comes apart, AND where to safely and effectively apply leverage, they literally fly out.

Resurrecting the motor can take from an 10 mins to 30 or so if it needs to be stripped down.

Mike
As you say Mike ONCE you know what you're doing the task becomes a lot easier,
However if I were to try this again I would drive to yours pay the £80 and £250 for the exhaust mod :thumbsup: .
It would be well worth letting you sort it without all the hassle.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Moving roof motor

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

sw4nny wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:
sw4nny wrote: What a load of bollocks,it would never take just an hour to get it right,

Mike
However if I were to try this again I would drive to yours pay the £80 and £250 for the exhaust mod :thumbsup: .
Lol!

Mike

Fox889

Moving roof motor

Post by Fox889 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

sw4nny wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:
sw4nny wrote: What a load of bollocks,it would never take just an hour to get it right,

Mike
Horses for courses as the old saying goes. If & when mine goes tits up I'll get Mike to do mine & also my back box. Been keeping a close tab on him, seems top man, he even sent me an email which I thought was a nice touch. You can learn an awful lot on here by keeping one's eyes open if you know what I mean! :thumbsup:
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic

Marius

Moving roof motor

Post by Marius » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:00 am

sw4nny wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am
Marius wrote:
Marius I do like your style,I welcome you are special,the skills you have are legendary
Last year I went on holiday to Tenerife,
I assume you have visited Elevenreef.
Thanks for your humour
Why do I miss el taco so much
don't really get it but its normal on z4forum :lol: