Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removed my secondary cats.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:25 pm

funksta wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:23 pm Alright Mike does it crakle and pop when you lift off the pedal . There's more pick up as well .
Peter
Yup. Feels like it's been remapped! Can't wait to do my vanos now and get back a bit more power.

Mike

funksta

Post by funksta » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Did you look into the sprint booster Mike . It totally changes the car , it feels way faster , and it changes the exhaust note when you adjust it . If I get a chance at the weekend I'll come over to yours when I'm having a hoon .
Peter
E85 SE 3.0 Auto Black - Remap -Sprint Booster- Strut Brace - Stubby - DLV Back Box Mod - Black 108's - Black Grilles - Parrot Hands Free - Diffuser - Matched rear lights -Sports Seats - Z4M Steering wheel - Angel eyes mod - Led side and fog lights.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm

funksta wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:52 pm Did you look into the sprint booster Mike . It totally changes the car , it feels way faster , and it changes the exhaust note when you adjust it . If I get a chance at the weekend I'll come over to yours when I'm having a hoon .
Peter
:thumbsup:

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 pm

One thing I have noticed is extra torque low down. I also noticed that blippling the throttle now well and truly rocks the car from side to side :evil:

Presumably as a result of the extra torque.

Mike

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm Ok, so rather than replace with straight pipe, I whipped them off and removed the heat shields before cutting a large hole in the top of the cat with the plasma and removing all of the insides.

Welded back up with stainless wire and reassembled the heat shields before refitting.

Just got to finish the last of the tig welds to the 4th joint, so blowing a little, but couldn't resist a quick vid for you Chris_D.

I think it sounds awesome and can't wait to get out in it later..

Mike
Sorry to be a pain.. but I am just curious what welding gear you have? Do you mean mig weld? As I know you have mig and you then say tig? Have you got both? Your workshop is getting as well stocked as mine :thumbsup:

Great work if you need any advice on tig ask it's not easy to learn but stick with it it really is better. I wish I had the plasma touch!! One day soon I hope :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

funksta

Post by funksta » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:45 pm

I felt more torque myself. Obviously don't know how much by measuring it on the dyno but it's noticeable. I also felt a difference after your mod. You can instantly feel it after a remap, not hugely but it's there . It would be interesting to find out how much the increase is all together. My remap was done before the cat delete and your back box mod . They dynoed it at the time for their record's (Top Gear Stockport ) . I wasn't bothered enough to pay 40 quid . Anyway it was 242 bhp . I don't know what it was before. They say they can give you 20 bhp before you get it . I paid 200 quid . But the sprint booster makes the car feel so much more quicker.

Peter
E85 SE 3.0 Auto Black - Remap -Sprint Booster- Strut Brace - Stubby - DLV Back Box Mod - Black 108's - Black Grilles - Parrot Hands Free - Diffuser - Matched rear lights -Sports Seats - Z4M Steering wheel - Angel eyes mod - Led side and fog lights.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Sorry to be a pain.. but I am just curious what welding gear you have? Do you mean mig weld? As I know you have mig and you then say tig? Have you got both? Your workshop is getting as well stocked as mine :thumbsup:

Great work if you need any advice on tig ask it's not easy to learn but stick with it it really is better. I wish I had the plasma touch!! One day soon I hope :thumbsup:
Mat, I have a mig an ac/dc tig. I also bought a new plasma last week, it's a stonker, MUCH better than the Chinese one I had which I sold on.

This is the new one on a piece of scrap, I think 1.6mm thick;

Mike

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Mat, I have a mig an ac/dc tig. I also bought a new plasma last week, it's a stonker, MUCH better than the Chinese one I had which I sold on.

This is the new one on a piece of scrap, I think 1.6mm thick;

Mike
How you getting on with TIG? If you need any advice and i can help just ask.

Mat
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Sounds great. I've also thought my Coupe need to make a more scary noise. What's the point of the secondary CAT if the primary is doing the work? Is it that the Primary get's it to the level required by MOT and Secondary does a bit more?
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Newbers wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:30 pm Sounds great. I've also thought my Coupe need to make a more scary noise. What's the point of the secondary CAT if the primary is doing the work? Is it that the Primary get's it to the level required by MOT and Secondary does a bit more?
Yup. Will still fly through mot with secondaries removed.

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:02 pm
How you getting on with TIG? If you need any advice and i can help just ask.

Mat
Cheers m8 :thumbsup: I am actually looking for a training course to improve my TIG, I can do it, just need to perfect my coordination lol..

Mike

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 am

keep practising it is just about amps and cordination. And lotsof practice!!!

I did a really good 3 day course with these people when i first started.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... kdpSUjRhkQ

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 am

This thread's reminded me I really ought to get my decat pipes fitted :rofl: Did exactly the same as you Mike and gutted a donor set, just need to make up the ends now so then can easily be mounted up to the rest of the exhaust. I couldn't believe how much of an obstruction those secondary cats are! Every cat I've seen before, you can just knock out whereas these are nigh impenetrable

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Player 1 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 am This thread's reminded me I really ought to get my decat pipes fitted :rofl: Did exactly the same as you Mike and gutted a donor set, just need to make up the ends now so then can easily be mounted up to the rest of the exhaust. I couldn't believe how much of an obstruction those secondary cats are! Every cat I've seen before, you can just knock out whereas these are nigh impenetrable
Yup, they were a pig to gut!

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:07 am

Ok, just in the final throes of exhaust mod "Stage 3" :)

Looking at the supersprint X pipe's available for the ///M which delete the rear resonator (at a cost!) I thought, I want something similar... I assumed that the std resonator on mine does in fact "mix" the two pipes together inside it.

So, I've taken the exhaust off (again) and cut open the top of the little resonator, sure enough it allows the gasses from both pipes to mix and swirl around in there, before then shoving them back out via two pipes, if that makes sense. So anyway, I removed the internals with the plasma and fabricated two stainless tubes, which I then welded in place, before popping the lid back on and tig welding it up.

Just nipping to cash & carry, and will refit when I get home and hopefully, if I like the sound, post a vid.

I am hoping for even more of a "snarl" and popping, seeing as my complete exhaust is now effectively two separate, unmixed pipes from the cylinders to the tailpipes.

Watch this space...

Mike