Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0si air intake recirculation pipes?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
EnvaFilm

Post by EnvaFilm » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello all, new member here.

Taking apart my airbox to replace the filter and I'd thought I'd investigate further...

Coming across a part that filtered air goes into the throttle body.

However there seems to be some interesting quirks to this piece of pipe.

There is the pipe that goes into the cabin (yes I've done the sound mod :) ).

But there seems to be a bunch of "excess* pipes that just slow the air down/quieten it.

So if you were to "modify" this as to remove those silly bits of plastic would it then increase the volume of air going in and subsequently the ECU would adjust and make more power?

Thanks in advance.

IMG: https://goo.gl/photos/NTrDYXRg6stBXVYb8

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:49 pm

EnvaFilm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:17 pm Hello all, new member here.

Taking apart my airbox to replace the filter and I'd thought I'd investigate further...

Coming across a part that filtered air goes into the throttle body.

However there seems to be some interesting quirks to this piece of pipe.

There is the pipe that goes into the cabin (yes I've done the sound mod :) ).

But there seems to be a bunch of "excess* pipes that just slow the air down/quieten it.

So if you were to "modify" this as to remove those silly bits of plastic would it then increase the volume of air going in and subsequently the ECU would adjust and make more power?

Thanks in advance.

IMG: https://goo.gl/photos/NTrDYXRg6stBXVYb8

Hi, show us a pic of the silly bits of plastic? I had an si & don't remember seeing any obvious restrictions :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

EnvaFilm

Post by EnvaFilm » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:03 pm

The image is via a Google shareable link here:

https://goo.gl/photos/LtdaDhW8JjmuoTedA

These areas highlighted in green feel a bit pointless to me. I see the sound generation pipe which is in between just a cavity and there's just another weird cavity...

Hope this helps.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm guessing they help add noise.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I would say those are air reservoirs increasing the volume of the inlet tract, they should help performance & I wouldn't remove them for fear of making it slower :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I don't believe the N52 in 3.0si is restricted in factory guise. For the lower outputs I think there is only one stage DISA and obviously different ECU mapping.
BMW made a 200kW version but I don't think the intake is any different, though find an X3, X5 or 630i if you want to compare.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Personally, I wouldn't change anything in the air path. As srhutch has said, I think they're probably resonators for adding noise.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

EnvaFilm

Post by EnvaFilm » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Ahh okay, thanks guys :thumbsup:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Those things are resonators. Probably not for adding noise but for improving flow by equalizing the airpressurewaves (air is drawn in pulsated on a frequency depending on revs, but in a duct air can flow better on different frequencies, depending on the duct dimensions and shape). The mass of air in the pockets is tuned to the frequency of the desired pulsations (helmholzresonator): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

BlastDK

Post by BlastDK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 pm

So Diggin' up an old thread here. Is there anything to do on the intake side to gain a little power or a minimum improve sound?

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Referring to the 3.0si engine there are afe induction kits available but cost big money here in the UK... quoted figures of around 20bhp increase but I suspect that would require a remap to see, and you can argue that around +20bhp is possible with just a remap? But that could open up a whole can of worms here on remapping and NA engine.... I have had a remap, is it more powerful? not sure to be honest... but definitely more responsive, in sport mode the acceleration immediate!

Anyway... back to an induction kit, no there are not any economical options available in the UK! Best option for more noised is the sound generator mod if you've not already done it!?
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

BlastDK

Post by BlastDK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Chris1981 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:21 pm Referring to the 3.0si engine there are afe induction kits available but cost big money here in the UK... quoted figures of around 20bhp increase but I suspect that would require a remap to see, and you can argue that around +20bhp is possible with just a remap? But that could open up a whole can of worms here on remapping and NA engine.... I have had a remap, is it more powerful? not sure to be honest... but definitely more responsive, in sport mode the acceleration immediate!

Anyway... back to an induction kit, no there are not any economical options available in the UK! Best option for more noised is the sound generator mod if you've not already done it!?
Thanks for a nice answer. I have to check out thoase kits, could be cool if it could add a even nicer soundtrack to the zed experience and add a few ponies together with a re-map. I did the sound generator mod, ( 1 sponge ).

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 pm

The other thing to bear in mind is that the throttle body is only used for diagnostics and fail safe on the 3.0si. The throttle is fully controlled via valve lift.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.