Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 SMG?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
RedZed76

E85 SMG?

Post by RedZed76 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi,

Looking to buy my first Z4, I have a budget of £5000 so I'm looking at older E85s. This will be mainly a weekend car, for what my wife is referring to as my mid-life crisis!
Just looking for some advice on what transmission to go for, I pretty sure I'd rather have a manual but have seen one for sale with the SMG gearbox. Is this worth a look or should I avoid it?

Thanks, Tom

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

E85 SMG?

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Don't avoid......I had one for nearly 5 years and loved it.
Do take getting a bit of getting used to though and would recommend a test drive to see if it's for you.
Good luck with the hunt. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Rusky

E85 SMG?

Post by Rusky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:01 pm

I have an SMG and LOVE IT!!! i have had Auto and manual BMs and the SMG is the best of both. I did a lot of research into them and they get bad press from those that dont own one. Like Jimbo says test it first, if you drive it like an Auto it will be a dog. Drive it like a manual and ease off the throttle when you change up just like you were driving a manual.. It should rev match on down shift and dont worry about changing down unless you want to as it will do it for you even in manual mode. Sport mode makes the gear changes faster and more aggressive so dont use it in sport in stop start traffic. Remember like a manual it will roll forward and backwards on a hill an will kangeroo if you are heavy footed in slow moving traffic. I prefer to use the stick to change gear as apposed to the paddles but thats just me.
if you need anymore info give me a shout. :driving: :driving:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

E85 SMG?

Post by patriot66 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:08 pm

I also have the SMG transmission and agree with all of the previous comments. In case you don't know SMG is Sequential Manual Gearbox. The gearbox is the same 6 speed box found in all manual 3.0i models except there is no clutch pedal. When you select a gear with the paddles or stick the clutch is actuated electro - hydraulically and the gear change is made. In Sport mode the gear changes are faster and when 'pressing on' the changes up or down are lightning quick. You can change up with full throttle/no lift and it is incredible ! Also as there is no clutch pedal you can left foot trail brake into a corner whilst covering the throttle and changing down at the same time and then your straight back on the gas as you exit the bend...so satisfying ! :driving:
The SMG has a bit of a chequered reputation partly due to the fact that it can take a little while to master it. Once you do master it then it is so rewarding to drive. The gearbox itself is bullet proof but the electro - hydraulics can give trouble however I've owned my car for just over two years and it is now 14 years old and the SMG is absolutely fine. I drove several SMG equipped BMWs between '99 and '05 and really enjoyed them so I had to have one when I was looking for my Zed. I've no regrets and I still love it ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

kis
Lifer
Lifer

E85 SMG?

Post by kis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:27 am

I loved the SMG straight off! :driving: Like the steering wheel flappy's and the fact it's basically a manual in operation.
Take it for a test drive, and make sure you make all the other standard pre-purchase checks as well :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

E85 SMG?

Post by mac27040 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 am

agree with all above, i have an SMG which is now supercharged and love it, have driven both manual and auto BMW's but the SMG is great and adds a bit of fun.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

RedZed76

E85 SMG?

Post by RedZed76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks everyone

DaveZ4richardson

E85 SMG?

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 pm

I too was looking for a weekend car for my mid life crisis as they say, I test drove a manual first then an automatic. I loved the auto that much I bought it. Apart from not having the paddles you can use it in manual or full auto, as the others say in sport mode on country roads it's just out of this world in manual or auto. I purchased a 3.0i auto and can't stop driving it. Did look at SMG models but too far away from where I live to test drive sadly, always next time though 8)
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

E85 SMG?

Post by kis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 am

:D There is always next time!!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

E85 SMG?

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:40 am

I dont have an SMG but recently drove an E46 M3 SMG a few weeks back. OK that box is technically the SMG 2, not the E36 SMG 1 used in the E85 but I think there similar enough for comparison purposes here. Its a mate of mines car and the first time I had driven an SMG BMW in over 10 years. I have to say I quite liked it and can see why some folks love their SMG's, but at the same time I could also see why they divide opinion and are a bit Marmite depending on the driving style, driver ability, expectations and competence.

My advice would be try one and see, if you can find one as they seem rare. If you love it and must have it buy it. If its a case of I like it but I also like the manual, then buy the manual. Simply because you will have a greater choice of cars to pick from and you won't be running the risk of the electro mechanical failure. I believe its bloody expensive to fix and if your worried about big repair bills (who isn't!) then the safest option is a manual.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)