Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TCochrane92's Z4 Coupe Progress Thread

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 pm Looked at your list, you can't get clear rear brake for coupe, not from BMW anyway.

I think you should add LSD to your list, literally the best mod I've done, that and suspension refresh really make it handle well.
I can help you out with the LED conversions and coding.
Oh I just assumed it was the same as the E85 for the brake light? Good thing I haven't ordered one yet!

How much did the LSD set you back? Got details of it? I'll absolutely add it to my list
Suspension refresh should be on there too i agree, I'm actually thinking of going for Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, with poly bushes all around

For LED's - how do you code out the sidelight warning lamp on the dash?
For turn signal lamps - are they just straight swaps for LED's? Do they need resistors to get the right flash rate?

Thanks mate
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:01 pm
Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 pm 10. Cruise control retrofitted!
did it yourself? what kit did you use? any more details?
Yeah did it myself this afternoon after work.

I used the Bimmertune retrofit loom that's in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95070
Then I got the stalk from a breaker, recommended to me by Ducklakeview (thanks Mike!)

I've fitted the official BMW kit before to my previous Zed and that was harder than the bimmertune kit. None of it is particularly difficult at all, it's just fairly time consuming.
Any other details you'd like mate?

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 pm
Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 pm 10. Cruise control retrofitted!

I used the Bimmertune retrofit loom that's in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95070
Then I got the stalk from a breaker, recommended to me by Ducklakeview (thanks Mike!)

I've fitted the official BMW kit before to my previous Zed and that was harder than the bimmertune kit. None of it is particularly difficult at all, it's just fairly time consuming.
I've got the bimmer tune kit has been sitting in a box for like a month, not yet brave enough to fit it! I'm a bit confused by the instructions as far as routing the blue wire go? and where it needs to end up at and how to get it to the engine bay/which pin to use etc. Which is why I have yet to attempt it :o

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 pm

I've got the bimmer tune kit has been sitting in a box for like a month, not yet brave enough to fit it! I'm a bit confused by the instructions as far as routing the blue wire go? and where it needs to end up at and how to get it to the engine bay/which pin to use etc. Which is why I have yet to attempt it :o
Ahh right ok. Well the first hard bit is figuring out which brown/black wire to splice into with the light switch! (there's two identical wires)
Blue wire goes through the dash to behind the glovebox. It's hard to describe...

Where are you located mate? If you're local I'm happy to give you a hand

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm Oh I just assumed it was the same as the E85 for the brake light? Good thing I haven't ordered one yet!

How much did the LSD set you back? Got details of it? I'll absolutely add it to my list
Suspension refresh should be on there too i agree, I'm actually thinking of going for Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, with poly bushes all around

For turn signal lamps - are they just straight swaps for LED's? Do they need resistors to get the right flash rate?

Thanks mate
LSD isn't cheap but get a spare diff and it's removable if you ever come to sell. I got a Quaife when Bird's had an offer on and love it but don't expect change from £1500 if they fit it.

B12 kit will do that but don't forget lower arms, drop links and RTABs too.

For LEDs you simply turn off the bulb checks, without coding you need resistors but I'm not a fan of using them unless someone really doesn't want to code.
I've used a mix of Philips and Osram on mine but would happily use Osram LEDriving premium for them all. I didn't bother doing the fogs as they're so rarely used.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm
Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm Oh I just assumed it was the same as the E85 for the brake light? Good thing I haven't ordered one yet!

Thanks mate
LSD isn't cheap but get a spare diff and it's removable if you ever come to sell. I got a Quaife when Bird's had an offer on and love it but don't expect change from £1500 if they fit it.

B12 kit will do that but don't forget lower arms, drop links and RTABs too.

For LEDs you simply turn off the bulb checks, without coding you need resistors but I'm not a fan of using them unless someone really doesn't want to code.
I've used a mix of Philips and Osram on mine but would happily use Osram LEDriving premium for them all. I didn't bother doing the fogs as they're so rarely used.
I'll just stick with the stock diff in that case and refresh the fluid

For the coding - do you just use Carly for that?

Reminds me, I actually need to change my Xenons too, they're going a nasty purple-ish tinge :thumbsdown:

That'll be the next session I think - xenon bulbs, all remaining exterior bulbs to LED, diff & gearbox fluid

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu May 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Well, if you want it to handle like it should and be able to get the power down, LSD FTW! :thumbsup:

You can use Carly but I've only used NCS Expert. Can provide copies of my trace to show options turned on and off and what they have done.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 pm

I back up the Quaife LSD being worth it. You don't have to drive sideways everywhere but it tightens up the line on corner exit very nicely.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 pm

You've made a great coupe even greater - as others have said very tasteful mods :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

coupe love never dies

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Taz wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm coupe love never dies
Good to see you out and about Taz after a long hibernation :D :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 pm
not been on here much recently :|

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Taz wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 pm
not been on here much recently :|
come on fella - you only need another 904 posts and you're a legend (officially) :)
911 997 Carrera S

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri May 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:18 pm
Buckz wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Ahh right ok. Well the first hard bit is figuring out which brown/black wire to splice into with the light switch! (there's two identical wires)
Blue wire goes through the dash to behind the glovebox. It's hard to describe...

Where are you located mate? If you're local I'm happy to give you a hand
I'm in south london, croydon to be specific.

do these -; http://bimmertune.com/index.php?route=b ... ticle_id=5

make sense? I mean all of it is pretty clear the only question mark is the pin at the end? is the doc correct?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri May 05, 2017 3:34 pm

I'll send you a PM, but also search I've posed diagrams and pics for N52 before.
The glove box does not need to be removed. The pin looks correct but I'm not sire about their cable, what connector does it have on the end? I have a spare BMW black repair addition that is for that connector. Get some better scotchlocks if you won't get the BMW loom, BMW locks are much better quality and are cheap.