Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Monkey mans power adder

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm Stop talking and get on with it Matthew :telloff:
Geezzz everyone needs a rest!!! :rofl:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Ok so I have had a few busy weekends working on the car. Had a massive low point!!! I seem to have supplied the turbo with far to much oil pressure.. the symptoms when we had the turbo running it was not producing much boost. And was not spinning up as exspected! Plus when I came back to the workshop a week later all the oil had pI$$ed on the floor!! After closer inspection the massive sir clip holding the impeller housing to the core had slipped out of its securing ring! So massive bad news!!!

Well I thought that as all my reading about turbo oil seals said it needed them replacing and doing by a pro. No problem replacing them but balancing a turbo needs special equipment! So I called the company where I got it from. And they asked is it a Garrett I said no .. A Borg Warnner? No... is it by chance s holset? I said yes. Well good news just strip it clean it it will be smoky but we doubt it will be damaged!! YAY the advantage of buying stuff designed oringanly for for farm equipment!!

I also had the time to strip and check the oil feed system. Took it all apart cleaned it modded it. I now have 2 in line gauges a better valve and a -3 not a -6 line feeding the turbo. So once all connected and with the engine not running. I can start the pumps with no pressure to the turbo and increase until I get no more than 70psi. And apart from bolting things back on wiring gauges and a small amount of ECU wiring it's done as far as I can take it.

I think one more 12 hour day!? Witch means 2!!! Then it's rolling road time.

Thanks forum would not have been possible without you lovely lovely people.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

That sounds "exciting", at least. Glad to hear it can be rescued. :)
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 pm

We are not 100% it will be ok but very unlikely if I have.
And yes very excited can't wait to drive it to the rolling road!!

Bradman

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Bradman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Awesome project... I'd given up on the turbo idea as I didn't like how the steering column got in the way of usual M54 setups, and was heading towards using an SC14 or something like that (needs to be cheaper than an ESS for my budget unfortunately). Very cool - I hope all goes well on the rolling road! :thumbsup:

2003 BMW Z4 / 3.0i / manual / hard top / M5 illuminated ZHP / whip / ///M steering wheel / back box delete / 3.64 final drive

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 pm We are not 100% it will be ok but very unlikely if I have.
:driving: all good news Mat , pics + vid clips when its rolling :)
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 pm

I want to see more pics/vids from the build!
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:35 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 pm We are not 100% it will be ok but very unlikely if I have.
:driving: all good news Mat , pics + vid clips when its rolling :)
Sure thing Andy.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 pm I want to see more pics/vids from the build!
I am sure you do. But I am keeping cards fairly close to my chest for now! Just incase it all goes really wrong. I am quite sure 3-350 Bhp will be made. The limiting factors being plenum and injectors.

srhutch

Monkey mans power adder

Post by srhutch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am

Yes just hope it's a bit more than 3 Matt :lol:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 am

srhutch wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am Yes just hope it's a bit more than 3 Matt :lol:
:rofl: i am fully confident of that!! :rofl:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 am

Bradman wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 pm Awesome project... I'd given up on the turbo idea as I didn't like how the steering column got in the way of usual M54 setups, and was heading towards using an SC14 or something like that (needs to be cheaper than an ESS for my budget unfortunately). Very cool - I hope all goes well on the rolling road! :thumbsup:
There is room for a turbo in under the bonnet. But all the turbo kits are for LHD cars. So you have to either yourself or get one custom made. I think my costs are half of what the ESS would have cost with change. And hopefully similar power as there entry kit. There is also so ,much more potential with a few other mods later on I think for the price of the standard ESS kit i could get this set up close to 500bhp.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by firebobby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Coming along well Matt, can't wait to see it tearing up the road, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Keep going mat. Ur passed investment gate stage 1. Next is concept proof gate stage 2. After that; whupping 911 ass at the lights gate stage 3. Ultimately realising return-on-investment and onto fulltime enjoyment gate stage 4....
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Vanne

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Vanne » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Gday mate, just checking in and saying what pretty much everyone else is saying here man, great effort, keep at it, and bloody good job mate.

Cheers

V. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3