Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Monkey mans power adder

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jonwilli

Monkey mans power adder

Post by jonwilli » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Have you tried BPC in US? They are remote tuning my supercharged N52 130i. They have an N52 turbo project on the go which is running over 500hp with OEM ECU.

https://bimmerperformancecenter.com/pages/bpc-n52-turbo

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm

jonwilli wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm Have you tried BPC in US? They are remote tuning my supercharged N52 130i. They have an N52 turbo project on the go which is running over 500hp with OEM ECU.

https://bimmerperformancecenter.com/pages/bpc-n52-turbo
Thanks for thinking of me. Its a m54 i have so i doubt it would be of much use. But if my curent option dose not work ou. Its good to have a back up plan. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HVCnt0HDr4

I have been in contact with these guys. Hoping they will be doing my tuning remotely as there 330 is putting out great numbers.
They are checking they can do what they did with this. With the simens ECU
425bhp
572nm
I will take that.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Are you gonna do an ms43 swap?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Nope they are looking into tuning the ms45.
Apparently they have worked on similar products. But they are researching whether they can or not actually do the same things.
They seem confident? We will see. i hope they can as its a big £ saving over the standalone. And SCS have not answered my last emails. Which leads me to believe that option may well be dead in the water.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Ok, but the ms45 is very fussy, most people complain about that and there are virtually no complaints about the ms43.
In the e46 scene its not uncommon to switch from ms45.0 (fitted on later US models e46 and is similar to our ms45) to ms43 when tuning for high horsepower. Despite the ms45.0 having wideband lambda I believe (the US ones).
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

GuidoK wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 pmOk, but the ms45 is very fussy, most people complain about that and there are virtually no complaints about the ms43.
In the e46 scene its not uncommon to switch from ms45.0 (fitted on later US models e46 and is similar to our ms45) to ms43 when tuning for high horsepower. Despite the ms45.0 having wideband lambda I believe (the US ones).
That’s really interesting.
So are the swaps direct like for like? The bus all works the same? If so I wonder if that’s the same on the z4 chassis?

If so it may solve my problems with either solution?! I am sure SCS will be more than happy to just sell me a plug in and play stand-alone with a base map. If they don’t have to do different pin outs and it’s the same plugs and can bus all works as it dose on there 330 unit?!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

After a quick google it’s not plug and play!!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pmAfter a quick google it’s not plug and play!!
Its certainly not plug&play.
But the ms45 has all kinds of safety mappings that are not yet known that the ms43 hasnt.
Thats why a lot switch to ms43. Not because its easy, but it runs far better with high horsepower, giving less codes, less pulling of ignition timing etc etc.
When push comes to shove I've never seen a high horsepower (350hp+) ms45 tuned 100% trouble free.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm

GuidoK wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pmAfter a quick google it’s not plug and play!!
Its certainly not plug&play.
But the ms45 has all kinds of safety mappings that are not yet known that the ms43 hasnt.
Thats why a lot switch to ms43. Not because its easy, but it runs far better with high horsepower, giving less codes, less pulling of ignition timing etc etc.
When push comes to shove I've never seen a high horsepower (350hp+) ms45 tuned 100% trouble free.
Well it’s a good start and a possibility. I take it there are no other issues with other modules and things working once the loom is swiped and pins changed? E46 e85 differences?

Maybe if it’s just pin out differences the SCS delta swap will be easier for me and them? And they will be more inclined to help out? Especially if there is not lots of can-bus work for them to do.

That is still the best option a fully intergrated plug n play fully programmable stand-alone that keeps all the cars functions. I believe that’s what they offer for the e46. And from the conversations I have had and my understanding? They would use that with a loom that plugs into the z4 loom then into there ecu.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 pm

And although that’s about £1300-£1400 by the time I pay £500 ish for the reflash/map electronic boost controller a loom a maf and a new DME and probably a few other things it will probably end up not far short.

I just hope they will help still!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Do you know what the price difference is between a standalone solution from scs delta (I believe) and getting that tuned or a remap for the ms45?

I think a standalone solution is certainly for a bespoke project the path with the most likely troublefree result because an aftermarket ecu doesnt behave irradical because all parameters are known and controllable (that is if they get can integration sadisfactory. Do you know what functions will be lost? (like alarm, or sports button etc))
Even tuners that put in a lot of efford for a kit they developed specifically for a z4 have trouble tuning the z4 100% sadisfactory (both ESS and G-power have their quirks, morstly on the drivability aspect) and have far less trouble tuning the ms43. And I'm sure they put in more efford in their tune than a tuner that is tuning a one off project.
Dont you have a megasquirt guy in your vicinity? thats usually a far cheaper ecu.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm

I think the price difference is considerable £1300 -£1400 for the delta and £550 for the remap. But I would then need
Turbo controller that’s going to be £200
A decent fuel pressure regulator is £150
So it’s still cheaper. But it’s not the best solution. The standalone would be far superior. As long as the can bus and all associated bits work.

And you’re right I can’t expect a small company to get it 100% right. As you say ESS spend lots of time and money. Although this guy dose have 15 years’ experience with BMW ecus and has a good reputation.

It’s a tough decision. One that might be out of control if one or the other won’t work? I just hope one of these solutions actually dose work!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm And you’re right I can’t expect a small company to get it 100% right. As you say ESS spend lots of time and money. Although this guy dose have 15 years’ experience with BMW ecus and has a good reputation.
I think you have to ask him about if he has hands on experience with the z4 ecu in high horsepower applications.

When I was informing around about getting a supercharger for the z4 for example I also asked Active autowerke, who are a renouned bmw tuner in the US, having made various supercharger sets for the e36/e46 for years (both centrifugal and twinscrew), but I got very confusing answers from them (about adapting their e46 kit to e85). I talked about this with Hans Kirkerod (ESS) back then and he thought that AA probably had no real experience with tuning the ms45, which to him would have ended in disaster. And as you're planning just a reflash and not sending your car off to them to actually tune it on a dyno, I wonder what the chance on succes will be.
For a project like this I would always select a local tuner than can actually work on the car.
For just sending the ecu and it doenst work its always your word against the other party.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm

GuidoK wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm And you’re right I can’t expect a small company to get it 100% right. As you say ESS spend lots of time and money. Although this guy dose have 15 years’ experience with BMW ecus and has a good reputation.
I think you have to ask him about if he has hands on experience with the z4 ecu in high horsepower applications.

When I was informing around about getting a supercharger for the z4 for example I also asked Active autowerke, who are a renouned bmw tuner in the US, having made various supercharger sets for the e36/e46 for years (both centrifugal and twinscrew), but I got very confusing answers from them (about adapting their e46 kit to e85). I talked about this with Hans Kirkerod (ESS) back then and he thought that AA probably had no real experience with tuning the ms45, which to him would have ended in disaster. And as you're planning just a reflash and not sending your car off to them to actually tune it on a dyno, I wonder what the chance on succes will be.
For a project like this I would always select a local tuner than can actually work on the car.
For just sending the ecu and it doenst work its always your word against the other party.
I fully understand and it’s sound advice. Unfortunately I am in a situation I can’t do much about. I can just afford the SCS soloution if they will do it. And they are fairly local to me and will map the car on low boost only. But they hopefully will get it all working.

But if they decide it’s not worth them doing it. I am kind of stuck! I don’t know if anyone willing to map the BM ecu best me. And I can’t afford any other stand alone ECUs

I am just hoping for good news from SCS.