Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Monkey mans power adder

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks Marlon
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Matt64

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Matt64 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm

I love this kind of project mostly because it defies most of the "traditional wisdoms" associated with turbo conversions, that level of determination always deserves a thumbs up from me. I will be watching this with great interest.

I too did a home brew turbo conversion on a Mk1 MX5 around 3 years back, I certainly would never have been brave enough to put a turbo that far from the manifold because of the usual "lag" arguments- so god one there! My project suffered a lot of on going set backs as it developed which really came almost to the point of scrapping the project more than once. It sure was a steep but ultimately rewarding learning curve for me.
Well intended advice, if I may. I would wholeheartedly recommend planning an almost excessive amount of redundancy into your project (sure the Z4 M54 is tougher than an MX5 but for example the M54 cooling system isn't too great IMHO). With mine I kept finding the additional stresses imposed on pretty much every system meant I needed to rethink & uprate pretty much every thing. So I'd finish 1 job to find it had a detrimental effect on something else, it felt very much like 1 step forward 2 steps backwards for a long time. I would also recommend the outlay of a standalone ecu to give you full control especially balancing engine mapping Vs boost control alongside managing all the heat build up, yeah they can be hard to learn to use but ultimately you'll be saving a lot of aggro.
2004 Merlot 3.0i SE. Pretty sure I'd rather drive it than polish it.
1993 Mk1 Mx5 S-LTD Home brew turbo conversion. :fuelfire:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Matt

Thanks for the honest advice. For the start of this project only low boost and a gentle increase in power as components are changed. This piggyback is fairly advanced. And i fully get what you’re saying but at the moment it’s going to have to do. I also want to keep the factory traction control for now. So a standalone isn’t an option.

I am hoping that with low boost i can get to around the 330 -350 bhp figure with no major problems. There are S/C kits for the m54 running similar numbers with no charge cooling. things like clutch diff drive line have been upgraded and checked and are in great health so hopefully no issues there. I will be running an oil cooler to help keep temperatures under control.

Next step would be a full water system upgrade. A new fabricated plenum cams pistons head gasket and head bolts. But that’s a long way off. As i will probably be going for ITBs and a standalone at that point. But it has taken me 4 years of talking about turbos to get this far. In 10 years’ time it might be the 500bhp car i want
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mac27040 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm

well done and watching with interest, if you need anymore advice pm me.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 pm

mac27040 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm well done and watching with interest, if you need anymore advice pm me.
I am sure I will be :thumbsup:

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mac27040 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm

no rush but Duxfords show is very soon!!! will it be there !!!

or star attraction at ZEDfest 2017 !!!
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mac27040 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm

if only you had an M rear bumper !!! you could have 2 turbos

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mac27040 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:41 pm

how many of us have just looked up rear mounted turbo's

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

:rofl: lots hopefully and have realised it can work :thumbsup:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 pm

They do tend to work better on larger displacement engines. You wouldn't want to do it with a 1.1!!

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mac27040 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 pm They do tend to work better on larger displacement engines. You wouldn't want to do it with a 1.1!!
haha but a 1.1 is likely to be a smaller car thus shorter pipework !!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I had a quad system. And 2 turbos was discussed and quickly ruled out because of cost! :evil:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by markeg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

mac27040 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm Image
That does look awesome mac, but cant see how those filters would work in our sh***y climate. I'd also be detailing it every week!

Oh, and wow MM, that is some project you've got going there!! Kudos to you for attempting this, will be some system when you've finished :thumbsup:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Number5 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Well done Mat. :thumbsup:

Those who follow the crowd, will never be followed by the crowd.... :wink:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks guys can't wait to finish it!!
But I am not going to rush and balls it up!!